S L O W site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having flashbacks of the 56k modem days.

Just took me 1 min 43 secs to load this page with a DSL conection, is that a new record?

P4 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Win XP Pro, cable connection, IE 6 - took me over a minute to load too.

Turk6482:
Still slow but at times it'll move a little quicker. On a T1 line at work and have been on most of the night (Yes, while at work, what can I say a slow night) and it gets to a crawl at times. Oh well, maybe after a few days the bugs will be worked out. Until then I guess we'll all have to S L O W down

:coffee: :bonk:

My pages are taking over a minute also, and my access is coming right off an ATM switch fed by multiple OC-48 sonet rings.

I'm seeing this too.

I suspect the problem is NOT load related - if it is, its obvious to anyone who can log into the machine itself and look at the load average AND CPU CONSUMPTION.

"Systat" will tell the tale in the "vmstat" display. You need to look at what is blocking and on what status.

If its NOT actually spinning on CPU cycles (and I bet its not) then adding RAM will do NOTHING.

My guess is that the apache server behind this is trying to do reverse DNS lookups for logging purposes, and they're failing due to a configuration problem in the nameserver. This is EXTREMELY slow and yet consistent - and that's what I'm seeing - a consistent time of about a minute before the page starts to come up, then it does so quickly. A bad root nameserver entry will do this, as will a polluted nameserver cache and a half-dozen other nameserver related things. If there's a database contention issue behind this problem then its MAJOR, and I'm seeing this slowdown even when there's nobody of consequence (in terms of numbers) logged in - this points to a system response problem (e.g. response time of DNS) rather than a user process resource problem.

(I used to run an ISP and am very familiar with web server software and the various things that run behind it along with the various OSs typically used. This being a php application, it almost certainly is running on either a Linux or FreeBSD machine. This is a guess, but an educated one. 15 minutes on the machine the server runs on and I could tell the operators EXACTLY what's going on....)

If you guys need help holler at me - I'm on my cell but have wireless internet access here, and am more than willing to take a look around. If it is what I think it is though I need root on the box to fix it.

It's been really slow for me too.
Here's the info about my system, just in case it helps:
isp: GCI.net
computer: emachines 5310 laptop w/ integrated 802.11g wireless (just got it in the beginning of December)
speed: (cable modem) 56 MBPS
time using boards: more than usual, due to the lag :wink:.... it takes about 1-2 minutes to load a page or preview a post.

Thanks for all the hard work on the new board - it looks great!! I hope this info might be of some assistance.

Seak

Interesting, Friday night it took forever for the site to load and then individual sub-forums too a long time to load but today, late Saturday/early Sunday, the site was much faster.

What other sites is the hosting company hosting?? Were they getting a lot of business on Friday? Any fiber outages in the area where the hosting company is located? Earthquakes? Forrest fires??

PS I'm on a cable modem and all of my other sites were OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom