Salinas Diver died at Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_9561135?nclick_check=1

MONTEREY

Dead diver identified as Salinas man

A diver who died Tuesday after he was pulled from the ocean off San Carlos Beach was identified as Salinas resident Gregory Dilley, 48, by the Monterey County Coroner's Office.

Dilley, who had gone diving alone, was discovered floating next to the Coast Guard Pier shortly before 1 p.m., the coroner's office said.

Rescuers attempted to resuscitate Dilley, who was unresponsive. He was pronounced dead after arriving at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula.

Dilley was an experienced diver, and there were no visible signs of trauma, the coroner's office said. An autopsy is expected Friday.

So sorry to hear this. Be careful out there folks. Buddy diving is a good thing.

I knew him, since high school. We had recently been talking about going diving together. He may have been experienced, but I'm quite sure he hadn't been diving in a very long time.

This is his last message to me on Facebook. I didn't think he was serious. Not sure if he was using his own gear, and if so, I doubt it had been serviced.

Call in sick, grab your gear

Greg Dilley
June 10 at 12:40pm
Meet me down at the breakwater in an hour. I haven't dived in - actually - more like 20 years. Finally felt like it this morning.

Greg

This is his last message to me on Facebook. I didn't think he was serious. Not sure if he was using his own gear, and if so, I doubt it had been serviced.

Greg Dilley
Meet me down at the breakwater in an hour. I haven't dived in - actually - more like 20 years. Finally felt like it this morning.

Greg

Oh... Wow buddy I am sorry.. for you and his family!

I wish his family and friends all of the best!

Sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers for his family.

Greg Dilley

Greg

We shouldn't take 20 years literally. He was posting on ba_diving in 2003-2005, last post
June 27, 2005.

I knew him, since high school. We had recently been talking about going diving together. He may have been experienced, but I'm quite sure he hadn't been diving in a very long time.

Sorry about your friend. I was there with my non-diver father same day. I set up my gears and almost ready before He came and We little talked. I was told that he haven't diving for long time (2yrs ?). I told him be careful. I thought he waited for his buddy coming. I (solo) went in water and stayed for one hour. I returned shore from water. Somebody and my father told me that he was float. Someone saw and rushed to got him and pulled to shore. Another person called 911. Fire truck, Paramedics, Police cars came and tried save him.They brought him to the hospital. They left (20-25 min. after accident) before I came surface from water. I didn't know a happen. I found out that he was alone in diving. Myself I prayed for him.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom