Same computer as buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I are looking to get computers before we go on our dive vacation (assuming my checkout goes well next month. I have no doubt his will next weekend).

I'm trying to figure out if it is a good idea to get the same computer (we'll be diving together, and I know a few feet difference can vary the times, but they would be very close) or get different computers (my train of thought here is it is like a second opinion).

We are looking to stay under $250, so right now I'm looking at the Mares Puck, the Aeris XR1 NX, or the Suunto Zoop. Our dive shop heavily pushes Suuntos, but I didn't see any in-store that fit my price range. I'd be willing to go higher on my husband's computer (if we ever do a dive vacation, he might get into 3-4 dives a day. I can't see myself doing that) but not mine.

Thanks for the advice. I know there are a million threads on computers, and I've read many of them- but I'm still very lost.

If you have different computers, you just follow the most conservative. As new divers, you won't approach your ndl anyway.

Whether you use the same or different computers, you can still compare depth readings which is the only thing that can fail without notice anyway.

First, it's a good call to pick a simple/cheap computer. I am not much fun of Suunto's I bought a Subgear XP10, because I didn't want to shell out 70+$ on a PC cable. (I like to download my dive profiles)

As windapp said, you don't have to get the same computers. Even if you have the same, it will probably show different deco for the two of you because you probably never dive exactly the same profile as your buddy.

I would get the same computer if you both like the same one.

Aside from being familiar with the other's computer and having the same algorithm for your no-stop time, some of them don't include a download cable. You could buy one cable for both and save some money. Seems like computer mfgrs want $80 bucks for a $4 cable, and they aren't universal from what I've seen. Of course not all computers need a cable and some come with it etc...just check and see what they are included with and what costs extra.

Are all computers PC compatible (if you buy the cable?) Or is that only a high end feature?

Saving $90 on a cable sounds like a great reason to get the same computer!

I would get the same computer if I were you. Familiarity and same algorithms are pretty big pluses in my opinion.

When I did my research on computers, the cheapest PC compatible solution was the Subgear XP10 (costs around 200$, additional benefit: cheap, user replaceable batteries). It communicates via a standard Infrared port, which can be get in the form of a 10$ USB dongle. Then you've payed 10$ for syncing 2 computers:).

Are all computers PC compatible (if you buy the cable?) Or is that only a high end feature?

Saving $90 on a cable sounds like a great reason to get the same computer!

It just makes sense to me to have the same computer. Although it's true that no two dive profiles are precisely identical, if you are observing good buddy technique, you will stay close enough that you are unlikely to see any significant difference in the decompression information the two of you get. If you have different computers which use different algorithms, they can generate very different answers under certain circumstances, which can lead to some awkward situations -- like the day that four of us were well within no-deco limits, and my husband's Suunto gave him 10 minutes of deco. We stayed with him, but it was awfully annoying.

In addition, if you are both familiar with the same computer display and function setup, it makes it easy to borrow a computer, if for some reason yours isn't in working order on a day you want to dive with somebody else.

My wife and I have the same computers. It's certainly fine to dive different computers and have the person who runs down their no-deco time the fastest signal the buddy to end the dive, but I find it useful that throughout the dive we both maintain the same sense of when the dive is likely to end. Also, my wife initialy found it difficult to become familiar with her computer and more than once asked me to help her with some setting. It's good for both divers to be familiar with each other's computer. We even have a backup computer of the same type (less expensive model but same algorithm) that one of us carries on the dive.

Keep in mind this is coming from some one who dives two different computers.

Having two computers with the same menus is very handy. Especially if you later get into a little nitrox diving.

Get two nitrox capable computer. You don't know where your dive careers will take you but if either of you starts to dive Nitrox it is good. Also life does funny things to you. You go on trip. One gets sick. Other wants to do some dives using nitrox and have a back up compute. Now they are using both.

The one exception is if one person thinks they are going to get into more complicated diving and likes lots of bells and whistles on their computer and the other wants just what they need.

As for the idea about having two opinions that is why I dive two different computers. Got there by accident. Like having conservative and liberal estimates at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom