Same computer as buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are all computers PC compatible (if you buy the cable?) Or is that only a high end feature?

Saving $90 on a cable sounds like a great reason to get the same computer!

I think most PCs are nowadays but not all. For example, the Aeris XR1 nx cannot download dive to a PC. Another thing to consider is that user interface on the PC. I'm a big fan of Oceanic/Aeris computers, but the single button interface gets annoying fast. My wife has one and it's fine if you just want to see your depth, NDL, etc... but if want to use the dive log to get your data, you're diving nitrox and need to change the mix before dives, or any other interfacing, it can be a bit tedious.

I'm pretty sure we are going to go for the zoop. The major complaint I read here is that it is too conservative, and to me, that is a good thing.

Since our LDS really pushes them, that means we also have service/instruction available. I did like the two button interface, and reading the manual it does appear to be PC compatible.

The only thing now is husband kind of wants air integrated, but to me- if he is going to get that serious, we might as well just buy him another in a few years, and use the first one as his back up. We live in Iowa- I don't know how much diving he thinks he is going to be doing!

When I was an OW student I thought I wanted Air integration also. Thankfully, I couldn't afford it and realized I prefer having a traditional brass 'n' glass SPG and a watch style wrist PC after getting a handful of dives in. Unfortunately not before I bought a console with plastic SPG, console PC and compass all-in-one. I've since sold all but the compass (put in a wrist boot) to finance the wrist PC and Brass SPG

My buddy and I use the same computer. Between us, we know EVERY option, menu, trick and tidbit. There will be variations in our readings (I tend to swim a little higher than him on longer swims to save air) but for the most part, we follow the more conservative computer.

For 4 recreational dives/day (even 5) the lowest end computer will work fine. I have one and do that every trip.

Some of the really low-end have limited dive logging capabilities though - the Aeris XR1 NX has a 12 dive log. After that you will have to copy the data off or it will overwrite it. So you'd likely want to bring the download interface and a laptop also. The Puck has a 38 hour log. The Zoop has a 50 hour log.

LP also sells the Oceanic Veo 180 NX. It's a previous model being closed out at $199. By setting the dive sampling rate, you can store as many as 150 dives before downloading. It also uses a download cable. Were you to buy one, I'd check that you can get the cable still also. And do so now.

Oceanic/Aeris are both owned by Hollis - who also sells dive gear. Some of their models are functionally identical so you might check for best price.

LeisurePro has the Zoop for $249. As mentioned Suunto charges about $80 for the cable. The Mares cable is $90 IIRC. Suunto's are also known to be more on the conservative side. I'm not a fan of 1 button computers so IDK anything about the Puck.

LeisurePro isn't an authorized Suunto dealer afaik so at that price you'd fall under their equivalent warranty program. Which may mean your local Suunto dealer won't/can't service it. Or can provide warranty repair. Since you mentioned your dealer is significantly higher - he is a authorized Suunto dealer - the Suunto online price is $300. If he's higher than that, buy it thru the Aqualung online store and have it shipped to him. Instruments | Professional Diving Equipment

If you have an Oceanic/Aeris dealer nearby - LeisurePro is a licensed dealer also. So you could buy from them and have local warranty service. But their prices on Oceanic gear aren't usually that much better because they are.

Whatever you buy, if you buy the same brand - even different models, you'll likely both be diving the same algorithm so should have very similar results if you dive near each other. As an example, you could buy a Zoop and get your husband a Vyper. They're about $425 though. LeisurePro has them for $325. IIRC there's also several generations of Vyper's so be sure you're comparing the same model.

One other useful feature is water-activation. Most have it but some of the lower priced models may not. The Zoop does, IDK about any of the Aeris/Oceanic line.

Whatever you buy make sure the batteries are user-changeable also. I can't think of many that aren't except some of the older Mares models possibly still being sold like the Nemo(s).

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 01:12 PM ----------

Just to help you spend even lots more money - some of the AI models can read dual transmitters. So you could check his air from close by and vice-versa. Of course you'd both have to have one. And transmitters are pretty pricey also.

Just to help you spend even lots more money

Thanks. I mean, I was having trouble figuring out how to empty my wallet on dive gear :) (Husband is doing a GREAT job. He left confined water dives ready to buy the complete kit. I only want to get a computer for now, I can rent the rest.)

Thank you for all the other comments- very helpful. It might make sense for me to get the Zoop, him to get something that -can- be air integrated, but save that piece for later. He wants to do crazy things like wreck dive in the Great Lakes. I just want to see pretty fish in the Carribean.

buy the same computer if you are married, here is why:

I am underwater and I see that my computer is about to go into deco and I need to go up some, I find my buddy and very nicely point to my computer and point up with my thumbs, she then points up with her middle finger and points to a ray that she will be looking at for the next 3 minutes.

save some under water communication errors and get the same computer.

My husband and I dive the same computers and I'm glad we do. There have been times when I couldn't figure something out on my computer and he could...... And vise-versa. Our first computers were Suuntos and we dove those for about nine years. When we started to dive five or six days in a row with anywhere from two to four dives per day, we ended up buying Aeris computers because the Suuntos were very conservative and we ended up swimming many feet above our friends so we wouldn't go into deco. We now use the Suuntos for our air gauge plus it has an integrated compass that we like. The Aeris has been a great computer for our needs.

Having the same computer is not critical, but does offer the advantage of each learning the same operation and being able to swap without any problems. I think its a good idea to have the same kind, but it's no big deal either way.
DivemasterDennis

My wife and I started out with different computers, what a pain. I decided that we would go with a pair of Mares Pucks which has been a very good thing. As I learned the features and functions I could pass that along to the wife. And if she has an issue, I will usually have a resolution. I recently bought a Puck console as a back up. You can pick these computers up for less than $200 new. BTW they all have user changeable batteries and are Nitrox capable.
RichH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom