Same Old Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you!

As a moderator, ........ but many times it's because the n00b's don't know what they don't know and are confused about everything. ..........

I think this is so very true, being a n00b isn't fun, I am reading whole threads and have no idea what everyone is even talking about! I have to google abbreviations, acronyms and equipment parts and sometimes I reach the end and still don't understand how the subject might be pertinent to me now or in the future when I do have more experience.

I try, and am sure many are like me, to research things or search for answers before asking questions.... But sometimes answers can be illusive, often because we are asking the wrong question and don't even realize it. Then, there are those moments when it does hit us and it can be a smack on the forehead kind of moment when one realizes how simple it was and that the answer was right in front of your face all the time. This is all a part of any learning curve, no one was born knowledgeable and everyone learns at a different pace.

I just want to shout out a big Thank You to those tireless individuals that still feel that no question is stupid, nor unworthy of some sort of explanation (even if it is only to refer the questioner to a previous thread) you are doing us and this forum a great service and you are worthy mentors. You are very much appreciated!

Kris

Rather than tell anyone to search I will just skip the thread just because it doesn't interest me, eventually someone will answer and if it gets interesting I might chime in. In addition, my first thought when told to search was to use the search feature on ScubaBoard, which will never find anything you are looking for.

Bob

Ask a random crowd how many of them have used a forum. You'll get a very small response.

It takes less effort to search than to post a new question, so I tend to believe it's not laziness.

I did some noob question searches in Google, it is amazing how many threads relating to any diving question show up from Scubaboard in the results. It is better than searching with the native board search!

It is the nature of the beast that we call forums. I have been a part of many forums in many different capacities and it does not matter what the subject matter is. You will always get the "search nazis" that feel it is crazy someone would ask a question that to them has already been answered 1.6 bajillion times and then in the same breath you get the "necromaniacs" that get their butt all ruffled out of shape because someone actually did search and then added their comment to a thread that is old. You can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you will never please all the people all of the time.

Much more to be discussed concerning snorkels and split fins.

I can understand the difficulty with searching, I myself have tried to search for a thread I know I've read and come up with a blank.

There is no question too stupid to ask, we all had to learn sometimes. I sometime get frustrated when some answers are given and then defended by someone you (from their published dive count) clearly doesn't'; have the experience to take that position. I also don't partake in threads where people have purchased something and want others to agree with their decision as a justification.

I will at times chip in to add another dimension, all too often one product always gets pushed because it's fashionable.

Although subjects are repeated, sometime the question is asked in a different way which can generate a different discussion, and of course what was good information a year ago might not be as great now.

I try where possible to only contribute on things I really know about, or add corrections. but I also like a lively debate on certain topics.

I have not been around here as long as some others, but what I did notice:

1) Much (most?) of the time, the question is similar, but not identical, but a lot of us don't bother to read the OP very carefully or may not appreciate the difference. After seeing similar questions a number of times, it is perhaps natural and undsrstandable to start to assume they are all the same, our brains are wired for pattern matching. And, if you start with the assumption that it's all the same, your perception is selective and biased, and of course you will see a confirmation of it everywhere. Our brains are wired this way, too.

2) Often (usually?), many (most?) of the replies are responding to a question that's similar, but not identical to the question stated in the OP. I think a lot of the time, when people hold a strong opinion on some subject, they need to express themselves, and may end up bringing up the same point across a number of threads, regardless of the exact topic, especially if they think it's the same question over and over (see above).

When most threads steer a bit off-topic, if ever so slightly, and contain some amount of tangential discussions and knee-jerk replies, the practical utility of the "search" button can be somewhat limited.

I have not been around here as long as some others, but what I did notice:

1) Much (most?) of the time, the question is similar, but not identical, but a lot of us don't bother to read the OP very carefully or may not appreciate the difference. After seeing similar questions a number of times, it is perhaps natural and undsrstandable to start to assume they are all the same, our brains are wired for pattern matching. And, if you start with the assumption that it's all the same, your perception is selective and biased, and of course you will see a confirmation of it everywhere. Our brains are wired this way, too.

2) Often (usually?), many (most?) of the replies are responding to a question that's similar, but not identical to the question stated in the OP. I think a lot of the time, when people hold a strong opinion on some subject, they need to express themselves, and may end up bringing up the same point across a number of threads, regardless of the exact topic, especially if they think it's the same question over and over (see above).

When most threads steer a bit off-topic, if ever so slightly, and contain some amount of tangential discussions and knee-jerk replies, the practical utility of the "search" button can be somewhat limited.

Great observation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom