Suggestion Sarcasm font

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowwall

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
˙ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ ɟo ɐǝɹɐ suoᴉʇsǝƃƃns ǝɥʇ uᴉ ɐǝpᴉ ʇɐɥʇ ʇsod plnoɔ noʎ ǝsoddns I ¿ʇuoɟ ɯsɐɔɹɐS
Following @SlugMug's suggestion, could we please have a sarcasm font? I think most sites just use a monospaced font like Courier New, but a Comic Sans lookalike would also work.

Seems like, since using sarcasm comes across as mean, rude, etc is what causes the "misunderstandings," maybe just don't be sarcastic on an international forum where subtlety in text isn't apparent to everyone. The real ego seems to be in those who feel the need to be sarcastic (def: the use of irony to mock or convey contempt), as well as to defend its use.
"Why do I feel the need to mock someone in the first place?" should be the question, right?

Oh, wait . . . it's a free country/world/universe; if you don't get my "humor" then fork you; blah, blah, blah.

Every forum has this problem, but, IMHO, it's not really any misunderstanding of the sarcasm, it's just that sarcasm is intentionally hurtful--it is defined as contemptuously mocking someone, after all. What those using sarcasm deem as a misunderstanding on the part of the recipient is really just the recipient calling out those using sarcasm as unhelpful, mocking, rude, mean, etc.

What I find funny is that I teach 7th and 8th graders, and teaching them about the intent of their words/actions versus the impact of their words/actions is very similar to the arguments of when someone on a forum is "just joking." In fact, I use forum threads often to teach intent v. impact--prime fodder for thinking about how we relate to one another.

Post #29: Jcp2's second signature line stands out to me. If it's true for extremism, why isn't it true for sarcasm, etc?
{edit} Not a direct question to you Jcp2--just like your sig line, and feel it's a good example of what's being discussed.

Is there a default setting? Everything I'd type would have to be shown that way..... :oops:

If you can add an additional font that is unique to the purpose, all the better, but please don't use the monospace font (Courier), we kind of need that for simple tables/lists.

Not to detract from your overall point but we now have a table feature:

Example:

Relative Thermal Conductivity​
W/(m·K)​
Name
1.0​
0.024​
Air (gas)
0.7​
0.016​
Argon (gas)
0.6​
0.0146​
Carbon dioxide (gas)
5.9​
0.142​
Helium (gas)
7.0​
0.168​
Hydrogen (gas)
90.8​
2.18​
Ice (0°C, 32°F)
1.0​
0.024​
Nitrogen
1.0​
0.024​
Oxygen
24.2​
0.58​
Water

Seems like, since using sarcasm comes across as mean, rude, etc is what causes the "misunderstandings," maybe just don't be sarcastic on an international forum where subtlety in text isn't apparent to everyone.

Sarcasm can be an effective tool to illustrate a point or make a joke, but both are hard to do well. We know that sarcasm is used by many members so there is value in making it obvious to readers who don't know the subject well or the personality of the member.

Following @SlugMug's suggestion, could we please have a sarcasm font? I think most sites just use a monospaced font like Courier New, but a Comic Sans lookalike would also work.
I would suggest any fraktur font as an indication of sarcasm - both are intended to hurt people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom