Sardine Run 2007- Help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there, I'm planning to do a 2 weeks diving trip next year to South Africa for the Sardine Run & also diving with the tiger sharks. Google & found that this particular dive operator (http://www.divesouthafrica.co.za/) is relatively cheap as compared to the others. Anyone has experience with them & what is your verdict/comments.

Also, anyone with other recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Happy Bubbles,
Jovin-

no idea on these guys. I went to Durban for the Sardine Run a few years back and just to let you know you may or may not actually experience the sardine run. It happens during June or July but not really during any specific dates. However the shark diving is awesome this time of year.

I dived with The Whaler in Umkomaas (Aliwal Shoal), they were great and now have accomodation to. You can also try seafever who also have accomodation. www.whaler.co.za and www.seafever.co.za.

We then drove to Shelley Beach to Dive Protea banks, another must for the shark diving. We used http://www.africanodyssea.co.za/ and they were also great.

Not from the area so I guess my experience there is pretty limited though.

The sardines havent shown up yet this year, the water is too warm for them aparently.
sea fever, meridian dive and the whaler are great dive companies.

Hi Jovin
I have just 'done' the sardine run for the second time. It's AMAZING! I would recommend Walter Bernardis who owns and runs 'African Watersports' in Umkomaas. www.africanwatersports.co.za He is also one of two operators who run tiger shark dives. Have just done a couple and they are awesome. Please feel free to email me for more details.
Sarah

Ditto on diving with Walter Bernardis!

Sarah, what are conditions like down there at the moment - we will be down there this coming weekend.

Kobus

Haven't dived for a couple of weeks but topside the weather has been very calm and sea temp's still quite warm for this time of year. Have a good dive. Are you doing the tigers? Sarah

Did the Tigers with Walter the long weekend of April/May.

My 14yr old son will be doing his first dives on the Shoal next weekend, hoping to see a few Raggies at least.

Have a good one! Weather here is fab at the moment and sea conditions calm. Viz should be good. Water temp has dropped so you may even see a few sardines!
Sarah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom