Saw some funny things on Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60plus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On sunday afternoon I went for a dive at Capernwray, my local dive site. My buddy had been diving in morning and while waiting for his surface interval to end I sat overlooking the dive entry point. Overall there were probably over 150 divers on the site so I suppose some slip ups can be expected.
Slip up 1) A diver struggling with his arms behind his head, trying to pull his regs, inflator hose etc into place. I could tell something was wrong but initially did not see what, then a passing diver pointed out he had put his cylinder on 180 degrees out so the valve outlet pointed away from his head.
Slip up 2) Drysuit diver entered the water and started to submerge, then he realised his drysuit was not fully zipped up, he staggered out looking a bit uncomfortable.
Slip up 3) Diver standing on slipway in about 4 ft of water fell over without mask on or reg in his mouth, No air in BCD. Had to be lifted out by his friends. On getting stood up again he said "now I know why you keep the reg in until you are out of the water"
Slip up 4) Drysuit diver did dive with his mobile phone in the outside (non waterproof) pocket of his drysuit.

Was that part of that BEEZAK thing where you have to sit onshore and just be amused?

It was indeed a learning experience, you spent your time constructively.

I guess we've all done some pretty stupid things (like when I walked into the water in Connecticut while my fins were back in New York), but I can see why you were amused. Must be a popular site with 150 divers--or some special event?

One cold, rainy day I left my drysuit on between dives, but wanted a hot lunch to help warm me up. I put my wallet in the right cargo pocket of my drysuit and told a DM candidate who was assisting me, "You only have one job to do today and you'll pass your divemaster course. Remind me to take my wallet out of my pocket before we get back in the water."

He's still not a divemaster, but remains one of my dearest friends.

We were on one of our 90 minute shore dives at one of our regular sites a few years ago. Hubby found and anchor near the beginning of the dive. Finding anchors is not uncommon but we don't own a boat and normally don't bother with them. For some reason Hubby decided it would be interesting to see if he could recover this one. He wanted to see how much lift this old SMB he carried in his pocket had. The SMB had Diver Below written on it.

He inflated the SMB and tied it off to the anchor. It had enough lift to clear the bottom but not by a lot. So the rest of he dive he was holding onto the anchor with a "Diver below" streamer midwater just above him.
446-947-.JPG

At the exit I had taken off my fins and I was climbing out onto a rock shelf when hubby who was facing me and the ocean yelled.. "Look out BIG WAVE!" I turned to see a big roller heading our way. The only way to keep from getting trashed on the rocks was in the water.

I clamped my fins under one arm, grabbed a big stem of kelp and hung on. I was like a flag on a pole and hung on till the white water cleared. Then I surfaced to try to find out how he was. He surfaced about the same time. When I asked if he was ok he told me the anchor came in really handy lol

No idea where that wave set came from as conditions were quite good. Reminded me of the two warnings my Scuba Instructor drilled into our heads.

1) Keep your Reg in anywhere that you could wind up falling into the water.
2) Mother Ocean is a B***H .. NEVER turn your back on her or She will GET YOU!

Attachments

• 446-942.JPG
    446-942.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 446-946-.JPG
    446-946-.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 44
One cold, rainy day I left my drysuit on between dives, but wanted a hot lunch to help warm me up. I put my wallet in the right cargo pocket of my drysuit and told a DM candidate who was assisting me, "You only have one job to do today and you'll pass your divemaster course. Remind me to take my wallet out of my pocket before we get back in the water."

He's still not a divemaster, but remains one of my dearest friends.
Just 2 weeks ago I decided to gear up at the car instead of the traditional difficult path walk 3 times carrying gear. But, wanted a smoke on my pipe during the S.I. …... Forgot the ziplock bag of tobacco was in my BC pocket. Like the sign on the urinal says--"Don't toss your butts in here, it makes them soggy and hard to light".
Fortunately, the pipe also stayed in the pocket.

We were on one of our 90 minute shore dives at one of our regular sites a few years ago. Hubby found and anchor near the beginning of the dive. Finding anchors is not uncommon but we don't own a boat and normally don't bother with them. For some reason Hubby decided it would be interesting to see if he could recover this one. He wanted to see how much lift this old SMB he carried in his pocket had. The SMB had Diver Below written on it.

He inflated the SMB and tied it off to the anchor. It had enough lift to clear the bottom but not by a lot. So the rest of he dive he was holding onto the anchor with a "Diver below" streamer midwater just above him. View attachment 481538
At the exit I had taken off my fins and I was climbing out onto a rock shelf when hubby who was facing me and the ocean yelled.. "Look out BIG WAVE!" I turned to see a big roller heading our way. The only way to keep from getting trashed on the rocks was in the water.

I clamped my fins under one arm, grabbed a big stem of kelp and hung on. I was like a flag on a pole and hung on till the white water cleared. Then I surfaced to try to find out how he was. He surfaced about the same time. When I asked if he was ok he told me the anchor came in really handy lol

No idea where that wave set came from as conditions were quite good. Reminded me of the two warnings my Scuba Instructor drilled into our heads.

1) Keep your Reg in anywhere that you could wind up falling into the water.
2) Mother Ocean is a B***H .. NEVER turn your back on her or She will GET YOU!
it looks like a cqr plow anchor. if its galvanized, its a160 dollar anchor. if its stainless steel, its 580 dollars. we used to salvage anchors, fishing tackle and lead down rigger balls and sell them to fisherman at swap meets. pick up a 150 pound or 250 lb carter lift bag and make a little cash on the side to pay for your diving!!!!

Back
Top Bottom