Scary story to relay...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My daughter was with some friends over the holidays and overheard a story from a recent cruise the friends went on. They said the father, two sons and a daughter went scuba diving in either Cozumel or Jamaica. The kids are aged like 11, 12, 14 or around there and had no prior scuba training.

Apparently they were given some quick overviews on scuba, then given some rental gear and then dropped in to dive with a group at around 80 feet! One of the children complained of a leaky regulator at depth and the DM had the kid switch to his octopus for the remainder of the dive.

The second child (11 year old) accidently got his reg kicked out of his mouth by someone else in the group. The child had no idea what to do to find the reg and began to flail. Luckily the DM raced over, grabbed the loose reg, stuck it back in the kids mouth, perged it for him and they continued the dive.

My daughter (PADI OW Jr. certified) asked them if the DM mentioned that the rec depth for kids on dives was 40 feet and they said no. They went on to tell her that had fun at 80 feet even after all the regulator problems. And that the 14 year old was even taken down to 100 feet.

This is probably a routine occurance in some locations, but for some reason it just floored me when I heard it and thought I would share as a potential warning for others.

This is so unfair. I'm certified and haven't made it to 100 feet yet. And some discover scuba people get to go that far on their first dive!?! Man....that just ruined my holidays! If only I could find a good spring nearby that went to 100! :(

This is nothing new. I learned that my son, who was 12 at the time, took a "resort course" on Peters Island. The max. depth was supposed to be 40'...no deeper! I found out that the DM/Instructor took him to almost 80' while diving the RMS Rhone. Needless to say I was pissed. All the DM was looking for was a big tip and never took into account that he took a 12 year old to 80' on his first real dive.

I really hate most of the stories I hear about resort courses. Way too many safety violations reported and this is pretty common in ANY destination.

I guess their angels were diving with them that day. Thank goodness.

Crap like that especially when it goes wrong gives the sport a bad rap.

But.... how confident the the story coming from the kids is an accurate tale?

Pete

red_infinity:
I guess it's nice that they had fun, but wow. These guys can get away with so much. Shouldn't this be illegal?

-Francis

wait, could DM or LDS be held responsible for "breaking" diving protocol??

Sure can tell they don't have Lawyers in the Carribean...If you go to Germany I believe they will let you drive 200mph on the autobahn... Safe No! Do I agee No! Personal responsibility. Dad should have asked a few more questions.... I am assuming they are ok! Hope they get proper training if they liked diving.

Back
Top Bottom