Scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#2, the one most in control of and eye-to-eye with #1. #3 follows their lead spooling the bag. At least that's how I would prefer to divy up responsibilities.

ditto

If I recall from my cave training the guy who is not involved in the gas share is the one who calls the deco so in this case that would be #3.

Obviously there are no bags in cave diving, but as pointed out earlier reeling in a bag isn't that difficult and it doesn't have to be reeled in anyway. Shoot it and let the spool hang.

Three man team, at max depth, diver 1 goes OOG, diver 2 donates. Who shoots the bag and who calls deco? I'd have 3 shoot the bag, but now who is in the best position to call the deco?

#3 should shoot the bag. It doesn't really matter who calls the Deco, everyone in the team should be tracking/thinking through the deco, so any of them could call it. Sometimes it might even be best to make #1 call the deco to keep them from overthinking the OOG.

HTH

J

This is asked in preparation for T1 in three weeks. Just trying to think through some of the issues we'll face (probably should have thought about these before now)

Don't worry about this scenario for T1, any one of the 3 might be the "right" choice depending on what led up to this point and where the rest of the team is.

The reality of the class is that you will have #1 maskless, the 2nd OOG, and the 3rd with a failed right post and limited primary bouyancy. Someone needs to take charge and it will vary depending on what's going on. Just make a reasonably logical decision and it will be fine.

Staying organized and methodical under stress is way, way more important than having the academically "right" person calling min deco.

Don't worry about this scenario for T1, any one of the 3 might be the "right" choice depending on what led up to this point and where the rest of the team is.

The reality of the class is that you will have #1 maskless, the 2nd OOG, and the 3rd with a failed right post and limited primary bouyancy. Someone needs to take charge and it will vary depending on what's going on. Just make a reasonably logical decision and it will be fine.

Staying organized and methodical under stress is way, way more important than having the academically "right" person calling min deco.

Richard is spot-on here (with the exception that he misspelled "buoyancy"):no, probably because he posted this after videoing our class with AG today.

I don't know who your T1 instructor will be, but if he is legitimate, he'll find a way to destroy this pre-thinking thing. Today, we found ourselves down to two posts with three divers at the bottom of the upline. Lots of answers there, and we died.

[edit] Rainier, I'm actually glad I didn't think stuff through beforehand. Don't get too wound around the axle, go in with good fundamental skills and learn from the experience.

Heh, Doug, that means y'all are doing good if you got down to less posts than divers!

Heh, Doug, that means y'all are doing good if you got down to less posts than divers!

I guess so. Problem was, I had no idea what to do. I eventually went to my deco bottle and died, with the consent of the one buddy that still had a mask. Man, that was pure chaos.

I won't really post the answers, that would take the fun away from the whole exercise. But, there are answers. Multiple ones, as I am sure you are aware (and really people, let's not go there, that would be exactly contrary to my point above).

Personally, I'd vote for #3 to run the bag. "But" every situation has its own unique characteristics. For instance a team may need to shoot a bag upon leaving a wreck to allow the surface vessel to track the drifting deco. Shooting a large Smb by yourself with a reel is high on my task loading list.
I'd make the call using another team member on the basis of who's comfortable at that point.

I think the idea is to make a safe decision under whatever the circumstance will be.

For instance a team may need to shoot a bag upon leaving a wreck to allow the surface vessel to track the drifting deco.

Depends on the depth of the wreck. When we are doing east coast Canada dives we are leaving the wreck at anywhere from 160-300'. I can guarantee that we won't be shooting a bag upon leaving those wrecks.

Shooting a large Smb by yourself with a reel is high on my task loading list.

I suppose that varys from person to person. Shooting an SMB is not something I would put high up on my list.

I suppose that varys from person to person. Shooting an SMB is not something I would put high up on my list.[/QUOTE:
Like I said each dive has its own unique set of circumstances. Around here the current is usually ripping, if you dont get a bag up right away the boat cant track you. It makes a lot of sense to me but not for someone diving under different conditions.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom