scooter bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted this yesterday, but it got lost (stupid phone).

I run my bolt snap free. I've never tried it secured in place, but my guess is it would make it more difficult to maneuver through the tighter passages. Typically, I keep my scooter in front and slightly below me, as I'm sure most do, but when I'm scootering in smaller, lower, tighter passage, the scooter goes off to the side and at the same depth as me. It would be near impossible to do this with a fixed bolt snap. With the loose snap, it just slides over and puts even tension on the line and the scooter. With a fixed snap, the tension would be uneven and probably cause the scooter to want to pull off to the right. This isn't a problem for large passage, but is definitely something to consider for sidemount divers.

Actually Rob it doesn't effect it at all, I run all my Mexico Gavins on a fixed snap and make lots of pretty long runs with it out beside me in the low ceiling caves. I run my OW scooters with a loose clip so I can do lots of stupid stuff, but for the really long runs I really like the fixed snap.

Yes, but they each stay at their same lengths when making turns. SS and X rigging require the sides to change length when making turns.

In use the X cord orients in a V with the top leg shorter than the bottom just like a Gavin cord ends up.

In use the X cord orients in a V with the top leg shorter than the bottom just like a Gavin cord ends up.

Really? Didn't realize that.

I've also been told that I'm an idiot and don't know how to scooter. Apparently, most people turn the handles more than I do, so on a Gavin, the tow ropes do slide through the boltsnap fairly frequently. Moral of this is, it makes even less sense to me why tying the boltsnap in place makes for an easier ride, if it is anything like the effect created by looping the line through the boltsnap twice.

That said, I don't care at all how anyone else rigs their scooter, so tie away! :D

Really? Didn't realize that.

I've also been told that I'm an idiot and don't know how to scooter. Apparently, most people turn the handles more than I do, so on a Gavin, the tow ropes do slide through the boltsnap fairly frequently. Moral of this is, it makes even less sense to me why tying the boltsnap in place makes for an easier ride, if it is anything like the effect created by looping the line through the boltsnap twice.

That said, I don't care at all how anyone else rigs their scooter, so tie away! :D

The Gavin and its precursor Mako are generally driven with the right handle in the 12 o'clock position and the left handle ends up superfluous in the 6 o'clock position. If the scooter is weighted and balanced right the torque of the motor trying to spin the scooter counterclockwise will be counteracted by the batteries and lead rotating the tube clockwise. The towcord in then in a V with the top part of the line slightly shorter than the bottom portion. The trigger will rest against the palm of your right hand while the right thumb points forward (and can be be used to hold a light).

The Gavin and its precursor Mako are generally driven with the right handle in the 12 o'clock position and the left handle ends up superfluous in the 6 o'clock position. If the scooter is weighted and balanced right the torque of the motor trying to spin the scooter counterclockwise will be counteracted by the batteries and lead rotating the tube clockwise. The towcord in then in a V with the top part of the line slightly shorter than the bottom portion. The trigger will rest against the palm of your right hand while the right thumb points forward (and can be be used to hold a light).

I have a fair amount of scooter experience on several brands of scooter, including Gavin's, Tekna's and SS's, so I understand how the handles are used. :D What I meant was, apparently when turning, some people turn the handle so it is at the 9' or 3' position, then pull back. On a Gavin, Mako and Tekna, this puts the ropes on the sides, so turning makes them change in length on each side. I don't believe I turn the handle nearly that far while turning unless it is an extremely drastic turn, but either way, I still believe that my rope slides through my boltsnap fairly often throughout the dive. I've also found that to be a completely non issue on a well balanced scooter for runs of up to 2 miles in length. Beyond that, I cannot make comments on the comfort of a freesliding boltsnap.

I've always left my bolt snap loose on the tow cord.

I once borrowed someone else's scooter, to do a second dive, and it didn't even occur to me to check and see if the bolt snap was fixed. It wasn't until we were on our way, that I realized I couldn't move the bolt snap. The person who owned the scooter had much longer arms than I have, so I had to wrap the cord around the non-trigger handle. This made the snap sit in the absolute wrong position, and was so uncomfortable to use. It was pulling down on me, and I actually had to put a hand on the shroud, to try and keep the nose up. When I tried to move the snap, it wouldn't budge, so I ended up wrapping the cord around the trigger side as well, as a quick fix, for that dive.

When we got back to shore, I was quickly shown that it was semi-fixed.

Well.. didn't I feel like a prize... :dork2:

if it's fixed you need to wrap it on both handles :wink: ...as you found out :D

wrapping both handles seems like it would make it quite a bit shorter. too long, wrap wrap, too short... no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom