Scrapping tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just sell them to the recycler for whatever you get. On the furniture thing...well, "furniture" made from scrapped tanks has a nice post-apocalyptical look to it. Goes well with black velvet paintings of dogs playing poker and mounted antlers.
Bummer you missed the trade-in program. Get some new aluminum tanks or used steel and go have fun.
Also, selling used scuba valves, especially K-valves is pretty much not worth any effort except as a favor to someone. The rebuild kit costs more than the valves are worth.
If you find a dive shop that is helpful to you, takes care of you and treats you like you have some value to this world, stay with them.

Tom Winters:
Just sell them to the recycler for whatever you get. On the furniture thing...well, "furniture" made from scrapped tanks has a nice post-apocalyptical look to it. Goes well with black velvet paintings of dogs playing poker and mounted antlers.
Bummer you missed the trade-in program. Get some new aluminum tanks or used steel and go have fun.
Also, selling used scuba valves, especially K-valves is pretty much not worth any effort except as a favor to someone. The rebuild kit costs more than the valves are worth.
If you find a dive shop that is helpful to you, takes care of you and treats you like you have some value to this world, stay with them.

I'm with Tom..scrap 'em and go steel, you'll not want to go back to Al after you start diving steel. Just my opinion, tho:wink:

If you are going to scrap them I will give you the scrap value for them and pay for shipping. I am using 2 of the 6351 tanks and have no problems with them. I eddy them every other year.

I recently scrapped a tank and got $25 bucks for it.
It was a WF (Walter Kidde) so no good anyway

tvictory:
I have eight AL 80 tanks which are 15+ years old and which can't now be refilled or re-hydro-ed. Who in S. Fla. buys such tanks for scrap and what is the going rate? Also, does anyone buy the valve stems? What are they worth?

Any info or comments would be appreciated.
If your cylinders were manufactured by Catalina, you shouldn't have a problem getting them filled, so long as they're in current hydro/vip/eddy.

Well, this isn't the answer anyone expected, but here it goes....

I and a number of other nutjobs like to spend endless hours under the night skies imaging the heavens. Back in the "old days" when we used film (there are still holdouts using film however), you had to "hyper" the film to increase sensitivity and reduce reciprocity failure (click here for details). The equip needed to hyper the film isn't cheap if you buy it OTS, so a number of us would make our own rigs. Here's one that a buddy of mine made with an old scuba tank that borders on genius: click here

KeyLargoBrent:

There is a scap yard very near me in Hollywood. I've dragged more crap over to them over the years and made some good bucks. I keep my eye out for old tanks now at thrift stores and garage sales.

Now that, my friend, is what I call a true new use for an old tank!! Hmmmm.... that makes me wonder...

AstroDad:
Well, this isn't the answer anyone expected, but here it goes....

I and a number of other nutjobs like to spend endless hours under the night skies imaging the heavens. Back in the "old days" when we used film (there are still holdouts using film however), you had to "hyper" the film to increase sensitivity and reduce reciprocity failure (click here for details). The equip needed to hyper the film isn't cheap if you buy it OTS, so a number of us would make our own rigs. Here's one that a buddy of mine made with an old scuba tank that borders on genius: click here

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom