SCUBA accident in Pool - Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks. You all seem to know more than the authorities on this one. Having just read the news articles to me it seems clear that no-one yet knows what happened at all. Please stop any further speculation until the facts are known.

MoonWrasse:
Up, the ladder, that was me :)
My thinking was that you would likely fall off, adding head trauma to the mix.
In fact, ladders (and staircases) are pretty darn dangerous things.
You're not kidding! Reminds of a call I was on a couple months ago..... A worker was up on a ladder on the second floor of a new duplex. He had a siezure (he is an epileptic) and fell off the ladder and down the stairs.... Kinda banged up, but other than a few bruises and a concussion, was OK.

OK.... Hijack over.... press on with the non-speculating attempts at accident analysis:D

triton94949:
I normally think of heart attack triggers as being due to sudden exertion. But you are probably right, it can happen anytime as well.
Most of the heart attack patients I've taken care of were awakened by their chest pain. True, many are triggered by exertion, but that's actually not necessarily the rule, in my experience. When I'm scuba diving, even in cold water, I rarely exert myself if I can help it.... so if my fate is to succomb underwater, it most likely won't be from an exertion-induced myocardial infarction (that's medicese for heart attack) :D

Snowbear:
Most of the heart attack patients I've taken care of were awakened by their chest pain. True, many are triggered by exertion, but that's actually not necessarily the rule, in my experience. When I'm scuba diving, even in cold water, I rarely exert myself if I can help it.... so if my fate is to succomb underwater, it most likely won't be from an exertion-induced myocardial infarction (that's medicese for heart attack) :D
It's still speculation if a myocardial infarction was the case here, haven't seen a medical report.

I agree that the being conservative on exertion is a smart thing. One thing I'm tring to understand are the stressors involved /to be avoided in diving, so as to mitigate them as much as possible.

How tragic. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

-Grier

About heart attacks

A person with only a 50% clogged artery can have an a heart attack earlier than a person with a 90% clogged artery if a stressful event or something causes a rupture in that 50% clogged artery leading to inflamation and cell buildup in the artery.

It is sometimes the stability of an artery that matters more than the actual percent occlusion.

Stressfull events and sudden exersion can bring on a rupture of the occulusion and promote inflamation. So lifestyle matters along with diet.

Update: It looks like there was a re-breather involved, according to the article.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lidrow0510,0,6367530.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

Police puzzled by drowning

BY ZACHARY R. DOWDY
STAFF WRITER

May 10, 2005

Nassau police enlisted help from their own divers for clues as to how a diving instructor drowned in 4 feet of water at the shallow end of a Mineola pool.

Det. Sgt. Richard Laursen said David Rampersad's death at Chaminade High School on Saturday remains a puzzle to investigators, who are considering everything from mechanical failure of scuba equipment to a physical ailment.

"Right now, the autopsy results are pending and we're looking into whether there's any possible mechanical defects," Laursen said Monday. "But at this point, we don't have any answers."

Rampersad, 38, of Richmond Hill, died while examining a re-breather, a device that allows a diver to breathe his own air after it is cleansed of carbon dioxide. Laursen said Rampersad had told instructors that he wanted to examine the device.

A cursory inspection of the device has revealed no defects. But Rampersad had said he was having problems with the device, Laursen said.

"We've already talked to our dive team from the marine bureau and they're going to be our liaison with the different diving experts," Laursen said.

Rampersad was alone at the shallow end of the pool while instructors and students worked in the deep end, Laursen said, adding that Rampersad was found at about 1:45 p.m. without the mouthpiece secured to his mouth.

Two instructors pulled him out and performed CPR. Rampersad was pronounced dead at Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola shortly before 3 p.m.
Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

High-tech rebreather may have caused dive instructor death