SCUBA accident in Pool - Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUOTE]

Wonder what kind of re-breather? I also wonder if the autopsy report will ever be made available to the general public. Thanks for the update though.[/QUOTE]

it was not a drager.
I looked like the Azimuth SCR. I am pretty sure from the picture. It is all black with a hard case. Everything is under the case.

why?

Wasnt there a story in Dive Magazine about a malfunctioning Rebreather (gage malfunction) causing the diver to calmly and painlessly fall asleep at the bottom of a lake ?

ScubaSarus:
Wasnt there a story in Dive Magazine about a malfunctioning Rebreather (gage malfunction) causing the diver to calmly and painlessly fall asleep at the bottom of a lake ?

Yes there was. Very sad.

Without implying, insinuating or whatever, on this accident's cause, can anyone tell me if re-breathers have CO2 sensors that monitor buildup?

The only rebreather I know that has a CO2 sensor is the Inspiration and that just came out. I just saw one at Dive Tech in Grand Cayman. There has always been a problem with moisture, etc. in rebreathers making accurate measurement of CO2 very difficult.

debersole:
The only rebreather I know that has a CO2 sensor is the Inspiration and that just came out. I just saw one at Dive Tech in Grand Cayman. There has always been a problem with moisture, etc. in rebreathers making accurate measurement of CO2 very difficult.

Thanks, one would think that this would be a standard feature in RB's given the risk ... probably costs too much?

Again, I'm not implying anything ...

cmgmg:
Without implying, insinuating or whatever, on this accident's cause, can anyone tell me if re-breathers have CO2 sensors that monitor buildup?
CO2 monitoring is a hot topic of debate. The monitoring in the evolution, I believe if just a temp sensor that measures where the active region of the scrubber bed is. This is based on the assumption the scrubber is packed properly and the material is working properly. It will not detect channeling or breakthrough and so is only a limited gauge of CO2 activity. Your brain is the most sensitive CO2 detector available and every rebreather diver has to be very tuned into it's effects.

Back
Top Bottom