Suggestion Scuba Diving Wiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to put out a question to Scubaboard and its members on the adoption of a wiki for scuba diving (on Scubaboard). While the forum is great for discussions, it does nothing for holding relatively static content, such as:
1. Dive site listings -- including descriptions of sites, maps, currents, etc.
2. Information on all aspects of diving -- which essentially equates to a user modifiable FAQ for each of the major forums here.
3. ??

For those who don't know what a wiki is, it's essentially a webpage where users can modify and add its content. E.g. see en.wikipedia.org -- the Internet's encyclopedia.

Specifically, I would love to have and contribute to a wiki for diving sites in my area. It's pointless to keep posting questions on where to dive when this information could simply be contained in a wiki.

For scubaboard, the wiki should simply equate to more revenue, as they get more user-created pages that would allow easy surfing, and thus the delivery of more advertisements, and the opening up to a bigger audience.

Thoughts?

For an example of what I'm talking about, see:
http://www.wikiscuba.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
(However, it doesn't really have a community, and has a slow server).

- ChillyWaters

NetDoc:
We will be implementing something akin to this in the not too distant future.

That's good to hear.

Now I'm just curious how "akin" it is, and how far in the "not too distant future." :)

- ChillyWaters

And there are lots of dive topics on wikipedia.

Thalassamania:
And there are lots of dive topics on wikipedia.

Yeah, there are some.

But, if you would refer to my original wish for the Scubaboard wiki, it was for managing dive site listings. Group managed dive site listings, with all the trimmings, is a cool opportunity. Wikis are definitely a good technology for that.

However, I do think Scubaboard can benefit from using the wikis with much more than dive listings.

- ChilyWaters

I think there's exactly what the poster was talking about here

www.wikiscuba.com

(I'll disclose right now that I'm one of the two divers who started this wiki.)

Not much to look at right now, but if more people come in and edit, it should get somewhere.

You mean we'll finally get a definitive ruling on MOF vs NMOF, snorkel vs no snorkel and BPW vs jacket topics?

You get nothing definitive fro wiki. You get whatever the last person thinks.

Walter:
It's a horrible idea.
office%20space.jpg

"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom."
"Yes, this is horrible, this idea."

miketsp:
You mean we'll finally get a definitive ruling on MOF vs NMOF, snorkel vs no snorkel and BPW vs jacket topics?
Where's the fun in that...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom