Scuba dry training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do you make any dry training excercises for scuba? There are dry training techniques in freediving, though some doubt their effectiveness. Does anything similar exist for scuba as well?
Thanks

Do you make any dry training excercises for scuba? There are dry training techniques in freediving, though some doubt their effectiveness. Does anything similar exist for scuba as well?
Thanks
Cardio exercising, especially legs and stretching would serve you best for scuba. I don't do any strenuous excersize before a trip that would leave my muscle tissue sore, i.e. damaged and repairing itself to be stronger.

Apnea lung packing expansion exercising, but that would probably only be effective just before diving. I usually do that on our way out. Not sure how much it helps for scuba, but it's a discrete habit I have developed.

You could practice the following while on land; CPR, Throw line technique, equipment set-up, equipment maintenance, aerobic exercises.

An interesting question. Along the lines of @gryan315, gear up in front of a mirror to see if you are optimizing your gear set up. While your DB will do pre-dive check, he/she may not give you configuration feedback.

You could sit with your kit on and practice finding things by touch/memory. Visualization is also a pretty good strategy for improving your buoyancy and breathing rate.
this ^ This is a great suggestion, no matter what kit you're in. I have a hard time finding my SMB at depth, I hadn't even given this a second thought.

Apart from those exercides you described I am thinking of exercising the helicopter kick movement I must study a proper exercise to do on the bed possibly taking videos to myself to check the movement later

My only training review has been on dry land for years now. Since "retiring" from assisting with OW courses and since I almost always dive solo now, it is just not possible and/or convenient to do anything inwater. So, I do this:
--do a dive table problem daily, alternating with a Nitrox one. I have a DC but rarely use it on shallow dives.
--read over a page or two of one of my PADI manuals daily (then move to a different mannual).
--read over a page of my 2006 EFR manual daily. Want to keep my CPR procedures fresh in case someone (my wife?) goes unconscious. I don't bother with my manuals from 2009, 11, or 14. They change stuff so much and it seems to me just for the sake of change (I know there is more to it than that).
--read over and physically go through the motions once weekly of the (24?) basic pool skills. Ie., I make believe I'm doing the OOA drill with a buddy and go through the motions. Who knows, I may actually DM again and have to demonstrate them, or buddy dive and have to perform a rescue. These are very remote possibilities.

Apart from those exercides you described I am thinking of exercising the helicopter kick movement I must study a proper exercise to do on the bed possibly taking videos to myself to check the movement later

Yes you could hook your spare spring straps to your fins, nail the other end to the bed posts for resistance and put it on youtube

I am thinking of exercising the helicopter kick movement I must study a proper exercise to do on the bed possibly taking videos to myself to check the movement later
I've tried that. Didn't work for me, I need the feedback I get underwater. On dry land, I'm not able to feel the difference between a working back or helicopter kick, and one that only stirs up the water.

If it works for you, so much the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom