Scuba gear baggage Fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

426Scuba

Reaction score
I'm going diving in a couple of days and checked the baggage info for Sun Country and here is what it said.

The following sporting equipment will not be counted as a piece of your checked baggage allowance, and require additional fees. NOTE: Sun Country does not provide bags or boxes for items listed below. Please call Sun Country Reservations at 1-800-359-6786, (Mon-Sun, 5am-Midnight Central Time), if you plan to bring any of the following items on you on your trip.

* Scuba-Diving Equipment
One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One (1) regulator, one (1) pressure gauge, one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel, one (1) knife, one (1) spear gun and one (1) BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $40 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment. Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty.

So I called for clarification from Sun Country. I asked If my bag was under the weight and size requirements for a checked bag would I be charged a fee. Their response from 2 different agents was yes.

These fees are new to me and never gave it a second thought. I don't understand why or how they can charge me extra for this? My take is it should be a checked bag like any other...

Anyone have any insight on this and is it being enforced?

Put it in your regular luggage (not scuba-branded bags), don't exceed weight or dimensions, and I seriously doubt that it will be questioned. If the agent at checkin is chatty, say you are visiting the beach to catch some rays.

When allowed that large of a carry-on, I have my reg/computer, wetsuit, boots, prescription mask, nitrox analyzer, flashlights, gloves, swimsuit, etc. in my carry-on bag. Everything I need to dive except the fins and b.c., which I could rent and be okay.

I think many airlines have these "Fees".
So far we have not been charged any extra fees, but I always make sure our bags are within size and weight limits. I have never been asked what was in my bag and I don't give out that info.

Well that stinks! I hope other airlines don't start doing that. I just spend $230 on an akona dive bag (obvioulsy a dive bag with fin pockets, etc). If I had to start hiding it in a regular luggage bag I would be none too pleased.

When I go on a trip, I always carry my BC, regulator/computer, mask, and wetsuit as a carry on. They easily fit into one of those mesh type bags that people use to carry their dive gear on a boat. That way I know they are going to arrive with me. Of course the airline you are talking about could see what was in the mesh bag and may want to charge you. But they would just as easily fit into a duffle bag that you can't see in.

Just something to think about.

BDSC

I don't know who Sun Country is, travel agency or airline?
Most airlines say things like this online but never enforce it. We travel with scuba gear for 2-3 people every trip and have never once had a problem. (Our regs and computers are in carry on). They open the bags sometimes and no problem. We have our gear in scuba gear bags, no problem. We have BCs, fins, masks, wetsuits, knives, etc....no problem, ever.

The only thing you should really worry about is traveling with a scuba tank or pony bottle. Some airlines will take them with proper procedure from what I have been told. Never tried it, no need.

I don't understand why or how they can charge me extra for this?

It's their airline and their rules. That's how. But like everyone else has said, I think if you put that stuff in a regular suitcase or bag and as long as it's not overweight, I would think you would be OK. Just plead ignorance if they catch you on it. Just keep in mind that TSA does go through random bags. I just got back from a trip and found their warning notice in my bag stating that they went through it. I will say that it doesn't look like they did because everything was still in the same place I put it, but they still did anyway. I don't know if TSA would report to the airline that scuba gear was in that bag.

I would not put my gear in a regular suitcase, I did this once and the bag almost split. Dive gear can produce point loads that your normal suitcase can't handle.

I use the older style Akona roller duffel, never had anyone ask anything. And if someone asks I would tell them, "yeah I bought it off Ebay for a buck, looked like a good bag".

But also FYI, the Akona bag with the fin pockets is way over the dimensional limits on most airlines. You will also over pack it and be over the weight limit as well.

For the guy who asked Sun Country is a small regional airlines based out of Mpls/St.Paul. Just for the fun of it I also checked Northwest airlines and they also have a scuba gear fee.

I packed my bc, fins, and wetsuit in a normal duffel bag (mask and regs in my carry on) and left my akona dive bag at home. I'll let you guys know if I get nailed for the fee.

Wish me luck!

A couple points:
1> This has been discussed ad nauseaum in the past.
2>Several airlines have such a clause in their Terms Of Carriage. I have been told by a couple airline representatives I was supposed to pay.
3>According to posts very few, if any, actually enforce the clause unless the gear is in a scuba labled bag. Even then enforcement is spotty. I've never personally heard of, or met, anyone who has been charged.
4>My experience is that a cheap, plain suitcase is The absolute best way to to. The case is light, giving maximum payload. It is plain, thus not attracting unwanted attention.

My $40 case has survived numerous trips as has the dive gear in it. It is getting a bit ragged so I probably will buy another before the next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom