SCUBA in Commercial Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The restrictions of SCUBA to the Diver and the job site are obvious. SCUBA is prohibited under OSHA and for most U.S. government work (EM 3851-1). There are numerous regulations that prohibit/restrict its use internationally. For example, in Nova Scotia, SCUBA equipment cannot be used for dives more then 40m in depth and is completely prohibited at construction or industrial underwater work sites for some activities (welding). Other activities like working near underwater intakes, high pressure jetting at aquaculture sites can be carried out using SCUBA if the employer has obtained an approved code of practice from the OH&S.

I won't go as far as to say that SCUBA doesn't have any place in Commercial Diving, but its place is greatly restricted. For most applications, it's impractical and unsafe practice.

I won't go as far as to say that SCUBA doesn't have any place in Commercial Diving, but its place is greatly restricted.

Finally, someone cleared that up! I'm a commercial SCUBA diving working for an Aquaculture company in Newfoundland, Canada. I can honestly say if we used Surface Supply instead of SCUBA nothing would ever get done in time. We dive two sites a day, sometimes jumping in and out of 40 fish cages. I couldn't even imagine how much of a pain and how counterproductive it would be if we had Surface Supply.

I will admit though, there have been a few situations were I've declined unsafe work where Surface Supply was legally required and would have made the job safer, such as working with pneumatic tools, pipe fitting in possible delta p situations, and not having direct access to the surface.

If your only running K bottles theres not alot of gear to move or setup. Thats what I used to use at the commercial docks if i couldnt back my truck with the compressor in the bed. Again, ive taken way to many blows to the KM to know i would most likely be dead had it not been for the hat. Hulls, wheels, jagged rebar.. etc etc..

I have a question for DCBC - where in the OSHA regs does it state that scuba is prohibited? I work for an agency that has gotten away with using scuba for many years to do work. The last time I read the OSHA regs it was not clear what method of diving was acceptable, just a lot of tether requirements and some manning limits.

I have done very few jobs where my work could have been completed with limited gas supply and no communications with my topside crew (for welding, cutting, hydraulic tool pumps, water pumps, send me a wrench, crane signals, etc.). Scuba is an expensive toy, the more technical, the more expensive. Nothing better for exploration and sport but not a working tool. Construction, repair and maintenance are hazardous trades on the surface, even more hazardous underwater. Go to commercial diving school and get into the trade if you want, but do not pretend to be a commercial diver if you are not trained and equipped and if you are one of us, leave the sport diving gear in your closet and survive.

I've done many bridge inspections on commercial scuba. It is occasionally the best way to perform an underwater inspection in remote locations at shallow, limited hazard bridge sites. There have been times where it would be completely impractical and uneconomical to use surface supplied equipment. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time I would want to use surface supplied for obvious safety reasons but there is occasionally that 1% of work that is more effective using scuba. We had a joke that if you get into trouble, stand up. These are the types of areas I am talking about.

I have a question for DCBC - where in the OSHA regs does it state that scuba is prohibited? I work for an agency that has gotten away with using scuba for many years to do work. The last time I read the OSHA regs it was not clear what method of diving was acceptable, just a lot of tether requirements and some manning limits.

Sorry Mudduver, I haven't been back to this thread and only saw your question just now. I've rechecked OSHA Regulations; your right it's not prohibited, just restricted:

Commercial Diving Regulations (SCUBA) are outlined in the 1910.424 Standard as follows:
1910.424(a)
General. Employers engaged in SCUBA diving shall comply with the following requirements, unless otherwise specified.
1910.424(b) Limits. SCUBA diving shall not be conducted:
1910.424(b)(1) At depths deeper than 130 fsw;
1910.424(b)(2) At depths deeper than 100 fsw or outside the no-decompression limits unless a decompression chamber is ready for use;
1910.424(b)(3) Against currents exceeding one (1) knot unless line-tended; or
1910.424(b)(4) In enclosed or physically confining spaces unless line-tended.
1910.424(c) Procedures.
1910.424(c)(1) A standby diver shall be available while a diver is in the water.
1910.424(c)(2) A diver shall be line-tended from the surface, or accompanied by another diver in the water in continuous visual contact during the diving operations.
1910.424(c)(3) A diver shall be stationed at the underwater point of entry when diving is conducted in enclosed or physically confining spaces.
1910.424(c)(4) A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:
1910.424(c)(4)(i) A manual reserve (J valve); or
1910.424(c)(4)(ii) An independent reserve cylinder with a separate regulator or connected to the underwater breathing apparatus.
1910.424(c)(5)The valve of the reserve breathing gas supply shall be in the closed position prior to the dive.

It seems to me that there is something in other U.S. Regulations, but I can't put my finger on it...

In British Columbia WCB Part 24.37 Restrictions on scuba:

(1) Scuba must not be used in underwater construction, burning, welding, salvage operations, demolition, jetting and suction dredging or other diving operations in which the diver
(a) may be entrapped,
(b) does not have free access to the surface,
(c) may be exposed to a contaminated environment, or
(d) could be adversely affected by hazardous underwater or surface work activities or conditions which could be alleviated if the diver were using surface supplied air.
(2) Divers using scuba must use open circuit apparatus providing a breathing medium by an automatic demand flow system.
(3) Recirculating apparatus may only be used with prior permission of the Board.
(4) Divers using scuba must not dive to depths greater than 40 m (130 ft) unless prior authorization has been received from the Board.

In Nova Scotia: SCUBA Prohibitions
SCUBA equipment cannot be used for dives more then 40m in depth. In addition, the use of SCUBA is completely prohibited at construction or industrial underwater work sites for some
activities (ie. welding). Other activities (ie. working near underwater intakes, high pressure jetting at aquaculture sites) may be carried out using SCUBA if the employer has obtained an
approved code of practice from the OH&S Division, NS Department of Environment and Labour. The procedures for obtaining a code of practice can be found on the website at
Nova Scotia Environment and Labour

IMCA has put-out a publication on Limitations in the Use of SCUBA in the Offshore. SCUBA is also omitted from ACDI's International Standards of Practice.

It's ok in some countries (SE Asia for example), but they usually care much what you do, as long as the job gets done... :)

Thanks, I wish US regulations were as clear.

Greetings,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some technical advice. I just read most of the messages in this thread and I'm well aware of most peoples feelings regarding "commercial" work with SCUBA. I would never sell myself as a "commercial" diver but I do however perform dive work around our local docks, mainly for the commercial fishing vessels. I have a job pending that's going to require me to use a Pneumatic cut-off wheel. I've never used one underwater, is there inherent dangers with using one underwater? I'll be cutting a chain that is wedged between a boats "wheel" and the "nozzle", it was sucked in at low water while docking.
Thanks, and stay safe.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom