Scuba Mau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use Aldora and you'll be a lot happier when it is all said and done! :wink:
You shouldnt state your words quite like this my friend every dive op has skeletons. Ask Dave the owner, he is not worried about letting you know this.
I now know more about this particular dive trip from another diver, I wont waste my time commenting anymore.

Last edited:
Magnaboxer-There are reasons I wanted to know which dm it was, if it was Eduardo he was the dm that had the diver bolt to the top while having a coronary. He died. Eddy was fresh back to dming, unfortunately he was overprotective and clearly not presenting like he normally had been and is doing now. This needs to be brought to Opal, Eddy is a favored dm. I have mad hundreds of dives with him. He is a wonderful person. I'm sad you guys did not connect.
I also was not insinuating anything about your dive prowess. I tried to find out a little about you from previous threads, so I knew you have some experience diving. If you took offense, then I apologize, it's hard for me to be sweet in print:D.
I thought I was clear I had tank issues once with Opal, a couple times a BA. They did help me out at each place by giving me a free night dive as I recall. I asked them for the free night dive in loo of the shore dive loss. not a problem for me. Some would.
And yes ASK for the bucket do you know how many people dont put one in a bucket, lots. I carry several cameras, some go in a bucket, one goes in a special insulated bag. I always make sure my kit is looked after, it is the divers responsibility to make sure. It's a small boat if they can get away without one they will. If they need one because someone asks they will put it on. Last December I was diving with a dude from Montreal and his camera kit was just huge, he was given a storage box to put his in. It was a pain in the butt for us on the boat but we put up with it. He asked.
The reason I asked about prices is there a several levels of pricing that Opal has to deal with, some stuff here, some there, it's always different. Not by much but she tries to get everyone a great deal.
Good on ya for being ok with the cenote hike. Sorry about your wife and other lady friend, and yes a huge ball got dropped there.

I know you will get back to the island and have fun there. I am sad that you wont let Opal fix the matter. I have had clients give me another shot, I kissed there a$$ because they where worth it. They got a great deal the second time around I tell ya. But now they know that it was a one time thing.
Thanks for putting the stuff out there, all of us can now see/understand your issue, I wish we could hear theirs. All I know is if you didnt do anything to pi$$ anyone off then you can bet your bottom dollar she would correct the past with great dives in the future. kevin.

The last thing I want is for anyone to kiss a$$. SM has a great reputation and I believed they would be a good fit to my diving style and requirements. They didn't quite meet my needs, and I kick myself for not going with someone who I know fits the bill, rather than trying someone who I thought would. But of course hind sight is 20/20. I don't consider myself picky, but certain things are a requirement for me. I can see how some who may not have those same requirements (particularly shore diving, and diving my computer) may be perfectly happy with SM. Just not me. I wish them success, and hope they continue to be prosperous as they seem to have many repeat customers, I just won't be one of them.

Wait I see now: $150 each for transportation, admissions, 2 cenote dives, and lunch is about right I think, maybe less if you set it up yourself someplaces? Add $25 each for ferries plus Cozumel taxis = expensive day, yeah. Sorry you didn't get a better cenote Op. Too bad you had to hump your gear to the Pit, then didn't get to the bones.
I loved the 30 ft drop into the Pit, the climb out, the Hydrogen sulfide bacteria level, etc.

Where was your second dive?

The second dive was at Dos Ojos. Shallow, and very short. It was a nice dive, but only around 20-25 minutes with a depth of maybe 15-20'. Finished the dive with over 2000 psi. Wish it had been longer, but oh well. BTW, thanks for rubbing it in with the photo. :mooner: I'm kidding of course.

Magnaboxer- where you diving in a drysuit by chance, just curious.

Yes, I was diving dry. Quite enjoyable I might add.

Just a thought....... It might be helpful if you filled out your profile and listed your attributes and training. :)
Then nobody will have any questions about them.

Working on it.

As Don said, H2S is a by product of decomposition. H2S is a gas, is heavier than air, and is soluble in water. The gas cloud in the Pit is at around 100' and looks like a layer of fog. H2S is also quite deadly. In high concentrations death can occur with only one breath.

You shouldnt state your words quite like this my friend every dive op has skeletons. Ask Dave the owner, he is not worried about letting you know this.

I know Dave D. well. And, yes, every DO has had occassion to have a problem or disgruntled client. But, I will tell you that Dave and Memo are very safety conscious and customer friendly, and they run a VERY "tight ship". This is why year after year they are more often than not voted the top DO on cozumel by customers, and why they have garnered accolades over and over by publications such as Rodales and Undercurrents.

The other thing that many readers here may not be aware of is that the only reason that Meridiano now has continuous in-line carbon monoxide monitoring is because Dave/Aldora purchased the equipment and had it installed! How's that for promoting diver safety on the island?! See: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/357726-meridiano-fill-station-adding-analox-clear-inline-co-monitors.html

This all came about through discussions that DandyDon and myself had with Dave about our concerns, and a personal meeting (over a cold margarita :wink: ) that I had with Dave.

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, Aldora is the only shop I am aware of on the island that has purchased the new Analox portable CO testor for use in the shop as a double check of the tanks they recieve.

So, if I sound like a fan of their's, I assure you it is with good reason! :D

I'll bite. I'm thinking about using Aldora on an upcoming trip. What are the skeletons? As a couple of folks mentioned earlier when something was brought up about Scuba Mau, it's not right to complain about an op without detailing the basis of the complaint.

I know Dave D. well. And, yes, every DO has had occassion to have a problem or disgruntled client. But, I will tell you that Dave and Memo are very safety conscious and customer friendly, and they run a VERY "tight ship". This is why year after year they are more often than not voted the top DO on cozumel by customers, and why they have garnered accolades over and over by publications such as Rodales and Undercurrents.

The other thing that many readers here may not be aware of is that the only reason that Meridiano now has continuous in-line carbon monoxide monitoring is because Dave/Aldora purchased the equipment and had it installed! How's that for promoting diver safety on the island?! See: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...n-adding-analox-clear-inline-co-monitors.html

This all came about through discussions that DandyDon and myself had with Dave about our concerns, and a personal meeting (over a cold margarita :wink: ) that I had with Dave.

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, Aldora is the only shop I am aware of on the island that has purchased the new Analox portable CO testor for use in the shop as a double check of the tanks they recieve.

So, if I sound like a fan of their's, I assure you it is with good reason! :D
Dude they are not the only shop with an anolox, where and how could you possibly say that, dont discredit Aldora with stuff like that.
Scubamau also runs a very 'tight ship' and Opal and Mau also run a very safety conscious dive op. Did you just jump into this thread to troll for them or what. Memo is a great guy, no disputing that. But for crying out loud bud I said all dive shops have skeletons they would rather not have brought to the board. Or brought back again for that matter. do some searches as they say.
Comment all you like:cool2:
This thread is over for me now. Good diving to all. :D

I'll bite. I'm thinking about using Aldora on an upcoming trip. What are the skeletons? As a couple of folks mentioned earlier when something was brought up about Scuba Mau, it's not right to complain about an op without detailing the basis of the complaint.
One last shot. USE THEM. They are a great shop. You will enjoy everything about them, as long as you like long dives, fast boats, and beach SI.:D

What's good for the goose is good for the gander dude. You said you knew about skeletons about a particular trip from another diver. I would really find it helpful to hear about these bones.

Dude they are not the only shop with an anolox, where and how could you possibly say that, dont discredit Aldora with stuff like that.
Scubamau also runs a very 'tight ship' and Opal and Mau also run a very safety conscious dive op. Did you just jump into this thread to troll for them or what. Memo is a great guy, no disputing that. But for crying out loud bud I said all dive shops have skeletons they would rather not have brought to the board. Or brought back again for This thread is over for me now. Good diving to all. :D

Gee! I guess I pushed the wrong button! Don't get all defensive!....

First, I never said that other DO's absolutely did not have the Analox portable CO testor, I simply KNOW that Aldora does, and I am not aware of others that do! It is, as you should know, a relatively new technology on the market that has only recently been released..... I would love for you (or anyone else here) to provide a list of those that they KNOW to have them! This promotes safety for everyone! It is (in my opinion) an important enough piece of safety equipment that I purchased a ToxiRae 3 well before Analox had announced their portable CO monitor!

Second, I can assure you that there was no other DO on the island willing to step up and fork out the several thousands of dollars required to install the Analox Clear-Line CO monitoring system at Meridiano! Dave and Aldora did! You can't argue that this doesn't enhance safety for ALL divers on the island.

I used Scuba Mau on my last Coz trip (with DandyDon). I had no problems with them. But, then, all I require is a boat capable of getting me to the dive site and back to the pier safely. They did that well!

Now their shop/office is nothing to write home about. And, since they are a relatively new DO on the island, they have not had time to get up to speed with all of the equipment, boats, and niceties that other well established, long-time DO's on the island may have. But, if they continue to provide good (and safe!) service to their customers, this will probably come in time.... I wish them nothing but success in this!

But, that being said, if a person is looking for a DO with all the "bells and whistles", they probably need to look at some of the bigger and more established operators. That's simply my perception of it from past experience. And, as always, I am open to civil, friendly discourse/debate on anything I have said..... But, please, all I ask is that you don't get all irate and defensive.

That being said, if I say anything that upsets or offends anyone, let me apologise in advance and save us both a lot of hard feelings!

For starters, unlimited shore diving was requested prior to making the booking. We were told no problem. However the reality was that most times when tanks for shore dives were requested we were told they only had enough for the boats, or that we'd have to wait, and they would go get some tanks later. Not acceptable. It was specifically requested, and agreed upon, yet they failed to deliver more often than not.

Dive site selection was about 50/50 in that the DM TOLD us where we were going, rather than allowing us to pick. Sometimes he'd ask, other times he'd just say "today we are going to xxxxxx"

Prior to booking with Opal I requested that we be allowed to dive the northern sites. Via e-mail she agreed to my request, and was even enthusiastic, making mention that at the time we were there (end of Dec) that the eagle rays were in, and we could see many on the Northern sites. However when requesting the northern sites each day, our DM would give one excuse or another for not taking us there. When on our 7th dive day (I think) we asked the DM to go N he completely disregarded that we had spoken. Guess he was tired of me asking. Opal happened to be on the dock at that time, and when we told her we wanted to go N she spoke with the other divers to see if they were in agreement (they were) and then she told our DM to take us N. He was obviously reluctant, for what reason I cannot say. The dive (San Juan) was awesome, and we saw many eagle rays, a huge green moray, and everyone on the boat loved it. Anyhow, for the rest of our stay he gave us the cold shoulder. Guess he was chapped that he was over ridden by Opal.

Not being able to dive my computer was also an issue with me, as was not being able to dive my tank. During the briefing the DM would say "bottom time is 50 minutes" and true to his word when 50 minutes was up, "tink, tink, tink" he would go hitting his tank. Having decent air consumption, it was dissapointing to end the dive with so much air left. So whatever comes first, 50 minutes, or 700 psi, your dive is done. While I agree somewhat to the 700 cutoff, if you are well within your computers limits I see no reason to end a dive at 50 mins.

There were a couple issues with the hotel. Being that the package was booked by SM I have to throw that in as well. One being that I wanted breakfast for the 3 of us. Opal said (via e-mail) no problem, 6 bucks a day. I agreed. The first day we went down for breakfast (at Villa Blanca) the restaurant didn't open. No breakfast that day. The 2nd day we went down, and they opened about 30 minutes late, after we had complained to the manager. The breakfast was horrible, and I went back to the manager to let him know that he need not open on account of us, as we wouldn't be paying 6 bucks each for breakfast for the remainder of our stay. He seemed a bit confused at this. Later we were approached by Opal, who asked if there was a problem with the breakfast, to which I replied yes, and that I would not pay 6 bucks for what they offered. She said she wasn't charging us 6 bucks, that it was more like 2 each, or 6 for the 3 of us each day. I have the email. She then looked at the email on her computer and said Mau must have quoted 6 bucks. Mau? The emails were all signed "Opal". Regardless, 2 or 6 it wasn't worth a dime, and she said she'd take it off. Now that I see on the Villa Blanca website that breakfast is included with your stay I can understand why the manager seemed confused when I said I wasn't paying for it. There were other issues with the VB and all I have to say to those going there is, take a plunger.

For our last day of diving we requested a cenote dive. SM made a call and set it up. SM's charge for this was 40 bucks each. We watched a video of the dive on SM's computer at the shop, and it was touted as being something special in that there were human remains found at 130'. Of course we wanted to see that, as they were supposedly dated at 20,000 years old. The reality was quite different however. On arrival near the dive site we were informed that we'd have to gear up (and haul tanks) and walk 1000' down a rocky trail to the dive entrance. The DM that took us was also diving nitrox, and therefore could not take us to the depth where the remains were found. It was an interesting dive, but I felt shortchanged as we were not informed we'd be making a 1000' trek through the jungle with gear, or that we would not be able to see what we'd been told we would. When I told Opal's dive shop guy (sorry, can't recall his name) that I was not satisfied he told Opal that he wasn't the one who set up the dive. BS, he's the guy who told us the details of the dive, and the one who took the 120 bucks.

There were many other small things that set me off. Most of it minor stuff, but when you look at the whole picture it was enough for me to make a decision that I wouldn't use them again. Things like water buckets for cameras. My wife, son and I all dive with cameras and not once in the 10 days we were there was there a camera bucket on the boat.

The final thing may have not been their fault, but I won't give them another chance to find out if it was or not. We got home on a Friday. On Monday I got a call saying there was some suspicious activity on my card, and there was over 1200 bucks worth of suspicious charges. These were not legitimate charges, and SM was the only place my card was used at during the whole trip. Had to cancel my card. Fill out dispute paperwork, and took over a week to hear whether we were going to lose the 1200 or get it overturned. Just got a letter that the charges were reversed now. Still a big inconvenience. I haven't mentioned it to SM, as I know it wouldn't matter at this point. My point, pay in cash.

WOW! Sorry your trip turned out so bad. I have had pert near all of these things happen to me, but just not all at once.

It seems Scuba Mau is a fit for alot of the posters here, as well as myself. It just didn't work out for you. Those things happen. I myself have had rolloer coaster rides with other dive op's. Not to say that all of my future dives with SM will be perfect. there are things beyond my control, but i am willing to take it as it comes, because I get to do something I love.

Better luck next trip. Who would you dive, and where would you stay?

Better luck next trip.

I am booked to dive with SM the in two weeks.. So I willl let you know.
I have been diving in Cozumel 4 other times in the past- nothing compared to many of you!
I am a DM candidate but no longer working actively on it. My boyfriend is going to finish his Open Water Certification. So we are a mix of old and new. both with and without experience. I should be able to give feedback based on my experience.
I am seriously thinking of not bringing my gear (regulator and BCD need to travel as a pair due to set up), My BCD is for the dogs, my reg is excellent, but I no longer have an octo (and I use an air-intergrated computer.
I have had some shoulder problems and am not keen on having to drag the bags from Playa...I want to pack LIGHT
We are just diving for 4 days and will not be doing anything even slightly aggressive. My boyfriend had a bad first experience and this one i want to be easy and slow. Also I used to dive consistently year round but since my BF is not certified and does not want to to cold water I am not as active as I have been. (Which is why I havent bought myself a new BCD).

Back
Top Bottom