Scuba Mau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At first I though SM would be the way to go because they've got so many fans here. But then, you know, I started looking at threads where someone dared to say something critical about them, and the same gang went and jumped all over the critic. Good shops have fans, but what's weird is that nobody from SM ever comes on to try to explain themselves. Instead they seem to use other people as mouthpieces.

I may have missed something in this long thread, but it looks to me like 2005 asked Magna whether he wore a drysuit at SM's request so they could figure out who was criticizing them. Apologies in advance if I missed Magna saying something about a drysuit before that, but if he didn't, I find that kind of creepy.

I also don't like innuendo about ops from someone who seems to be a mouthpiece for another op. I really do want to know about the bad dive at Aldora that 2005 refers to.

SM gets the most press here, but obviously there are other "favorites," like Blue Angel, Blue XT-Sea, Dive With Christi, and Aldora. In searching through back threads, I've seen the proprietors of each of these establishments come on here themselves and, when necessary, address complaints. I respect that, and I will probably go with one of them.

I am booked to dive with SM the in two weeks.. So I willl let you know.
I have been diving in Cozumel 4 other times in the past- nothing compared to many of you!
I am a DM candidate but no longer working actively on it. My boyfriend is going to finish his Open Water Certification. So we are a mix of old and new. both with and without experience. I should be able to give feedback based on my experience.
I am seriously thinking of not bringing my gear (regulator and BCD need to travel as a pair due to set up), My BCD is for the dogs, my reg is excellent, but I no longer have an octo (and I use an air-intergrated computer.
I have had some shoulder problems and am not keen on having to drag the bags from Playa...I want to pack LIGHT
We are just diving for 4 days and will not be doing anything even slightly aggressive. My boyfriend had a bad first experience and this one i want to be easy and slow. Also I used to dive consistently year round but since my BF is not certified and does not want to to cold water I am not as active as I have been. (Which is why I havent bought myself a new BCD).

All that being said give Opal a shout about renting gear. Make it an enjoyable trip let SM worry about all the gear. I hear the bag drag is a drag.

Pack your flip-flops, bikini's, speedo's, dive suits whatever, and have fun. Let us know how the trip goes. We like updates, water temps, pictures, restraunt reviews so on and so forth.

Tell the gang Jimmy J says Hola, and that I will be down in april for 2 weeks. That way they can start child proofing the boats for me. :(

I may have missed something in this long thread, but it looks to me like 2005 asked Magna whether he wore a drysuit at SM's request so they could figure out who was criticizing them. Apologies in advance if I missed Magna saying something about a drysuit before that, but if he didn't, I find that kind of creepy.

Ripple, I'm guessing that FirstDive did what I did (only difference is it appears he did it after his first couple of posts or he probably wouldn't have said some of the things he did). You will see there's a number below a person's board name (see box called Stats). Clicking that brings up their previous posts. Since Magnaboxer hadn't filled in a profile, his earlier posts gave me a sense that this wasn't some nube with unrealistic expectations and/or questionable skills. In other words, someone with an informed opinion. Among his previous posts were a few relating to drysuits.

I don't think it is necessary for every dive shop in Cozumel to be monitoring this, and every other, internet scuba board to respond to comments made. I do, however, think that the cheerleading on this board gets a bit out of hand at times.

As others have said, there are dive ops on this island that are the right op for someone. If you subscribe to Undercurrent, you might take a look at their annual Chapbook. They have a not bad way of allowing readers to rate dive ops.

:popcorn:

but what's weird is that nobody from SM ever comes on to try to explain themselves. Instead they seem to use other people as mouthpieces. ( QUOTED )

I don't think it is necessary for every dive shop in Cozumel to be monitoring this, and every other, internet scuba board to respond to comments made. I do, however, think that the cheerleading on this board gets a bit out of hand at times. ( QUOTED )

I personally am not a mouthpiece for anyone other then myself. We are stating our personal opinions here. We all have different personalities, opinions, and needs.

From what I am reading here these are not the opinions of any dive operators, only the opinions of the members here on the site. I would hope that no dive-op would ever jump in on here, and try to defend my personal opinion.

So personalities clash. Lets not turn it into something it is not. It is not fair to any dive-op on the island.

SM gets the most press here...
And it seems to me that there are a few folks in here who do their best to make sure of that.

When there is no pebble tossed or wind to blow...

I really miss Jerry.

Wow, interesting stuff. I've really been considering SM for my upcoming trip in a few months. I've been on these boards for awhile now. I know every op has bad days or mess-ups. I've seen a lot of ops slammed on here. It makes it hard to know who to go with.

In the end, I guess you just take your chances and see if an OP lives up to the hype or potential horror. Diving with ops is very subjective, because I may love a place and someone else may hate it. My primary concerns are: safety, reliability, price and good DM's where my input matters. We pay a lot of money for vacations and don't want to regret the OP we use.

I miss Jerry too. Wonder if he ever dived Cozumel. :dance3:
Duuno. Jerry was a diver, though, as were/are some of the other guys in the band. I have a couple of Grateful Diver Tshirts.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right.

I personally am not a mouthpiece for anyone other then myself. We are stating our personal opinions here. We all have different personalities, opinions, and needs.
From what I am reading here these are not the opinions of any dive operators, only the opinions of the members here on the site. I would hope that no dive-op would ever jump in on here, and try to defend my personal opinion.
So personalities clash. Lets not turn it into something it is not. It is not fair to any dive-op on the island.

This site exists for the free exchange of knowledge, ideas, and opinions between divers of all levels of training and experience.

This allows divers to learn from one another. If they express an opinion regarding a particular dive locale or operator, it is just that,,,, their opinion! If others chime in with alternate opinions/information then it is up to those reading the threads to sort through all of the responses and come to a decision on their own as to whether they wish to go to that dive locale or use a particular dive operator. That is the strength of this site! All that is important is to keep the discourse civil and friendly! I, for one, will not critize anyone for expressing an opinion! I may question them, however, as to what they base that opinion on. Again, simply trying to garner more information to help me make informed decisions. :D

And, you are right in that each of us has had differrent experiences and we each have different expectations and desires when it comes to where and with whom they dive.

So, I encourage people to tell their stories, good and bad, about where they have been and whom they have dived with!... It certainly helps me with my decision making processes...... Weak as they may be at times! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom