SCUBA mistakes in movies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was just wondering if when you guys are watching a movie and there are divers if you pick a part what they are doing, whether it be the snorkel is on the wrong side whatever.

One of my favs is in Jaws (the one down in the Bahamas). The guy is scuba diving and goes into a wreck to hide form Jaws. Oddly he doesn't silt it out, but then he rides his free-flowing tank to the surface like a rocketship and oddly enough they leave out the scene where he is flown to the nearest chamber. When me and my friends watched this scene we had a field day all screaming "Call DAN we have a divering emergency".

What are some of your fav SCUBA errors in movies?

I am horrible to watch movies and tv with because I do stuff like that. My 4 favorite things are diving, guns, cars, and politics. I find something wrong on atleast one of those in every movie I watch. I am either yelling how that shot was impossible, or that gun gun which has a 15 round magazine fired 20 times without reloading, or how they do not make that part for that car, or screaming about the left wing bias in the news and on sitcoms.

I do like that one in Jaws that you speak of though. I have seen that in a couple of movies before.

Not really scuba related, but what about Waterworld, where they freedive to something like a thousand feet (even if Kevin Costner had "gills"), and there is like a mile of visibility, enough to see an entire underwater destroyed city?

I pick up on the gun mistakes too - my favorite is the unloaded revolver with the empty chambers that somehow seems to keep firing bullets that aren't there....

The James Bond movie where he is scuba diving and he grabs a rope that's attached to a plane and shoots from depth up into the air being towed by the plane. I guess they forgot you're not supposed to fly after diving not to mention rocket ascents.:D

Not a movie, but an Animal Planet series. The zoologist, who usually chases land snakes, was doing a show on sea snakes. He ran out of air (I think due to his incessant talking) and surfaced too quickly. The show ended with him writhing on the boat deck, under the frown of the boat's captain. It was never clear to me if he was bent, sucking air, or auditioning for an Oscar. In any case, it was a screw up.

NAVY and Military movies. Since I have been in the Navy now some 16 1/2 years I tear them apart very much. From Topgun to Pearl Harbor..... and JAG is top on my list.... 100% fake from the word go. I sometimes try and keep my mouth shut but it is very hard at times..... :eek: go figure right :eek:ut:

Oh well, I guess they should do better or at least ask military people not to watch them.

Rich :mean:

so far I have noticed that it is the "SOLO" diver that gets eaten

you mean that not ALL JAG officers look like Harmon??? Damn!

;-0

I'm really bad with medival movies and sword fights. There is no reason to spin around when fighting with a sword. but I really HATE the machine gun that will fire a thousand rounds without reloading. I am terrible about things like that, I would recommend against watching a movie with me. I laughed out loud at all of the garbage in Pearl Harbour.

and don't forget books....

In the Patrick Robinson book the Shark Mutiny he goes into depth about the SEAL's scuba gear. What is beyond me is to why the SEAL's need to cover up the brightly coloured mask with electrical tape - surely they should just be issued with black ones?!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom