SCUBA mistakes in movies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes "SCUBABUNNY" ..... but it really wasn't that which turned me off from the show. It was one of the very first shows in which Harm was in the backseat of an F-14 "TOMCAT" when the pilot got know out so he proceeded to land it. YOU CAN'T DO IT FROM THE BACKSEAT..... there are no flight controls at all in the backseat of that jet, it is all RADAR equip. So seeing I work on F-14's I knew from that point on the show was a wash for me.

Rich :mean:

Originally posted by Jonathan
and don't forget books....

What is beyond me is to why the SEAL's need to cover up the brightly coloured mask with electrical tape - surely they should just be issued with black ones?!

Jonathan: Knowing the ins & outs of government purchasing departments, the gal who typed up the SEALs' purchase order for masks probably found the best price on some out-of-production vacation gear. Then they spent $3million on a roll of black tape.

That, or they sent the contract to manufacture the stuff t a 3rd world country with a bad translator.

One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler and although Clive is a diver and used to work in a dive shop he has made a couple of big mistakes in his books. The biggest mistakes have been the times that Dirk and his sidekicks surface from deco dives and then immediately hop into a helicopter or airplane to go chase the bad guys. Can anyone say "bent like a pretzel"? I will not even get into the inaccuracies of some of the other "techno-thriller" authors out there.

Okay, okay. In 'Sphere" they're in this underwater habitat at, what, 1000 feet? playing around with this space ship that's encrusted in a reef or something, right? So in one of my favorite scenes, Dustin Hoffman is in the head (shaving or something), the floor is slightly flooded, when all of a sudden a bunch of sea snakes start swimming around. He is overcome and ends up on the floor covered in these things. Just as he's reaching the height of freaking out, his savior (Sharon Stone?) comes in and straightens him out. There's no need to be afraid. She picks one up and tosses it away, saying that sea snakes are nocturnal so there's nothing to fear.

I 'bout wet myself laughing. Sea snakes at 1000 feet that aren't poisonous during the day (at 1000 feet) because they're nocturnal? :laugh: That's just sooo wrong on so many levels!

Was I just narked, or did some characters try to swim beween crafts on the deep ocean floor? I guess if I know I was going to drown by staying still, I would try to swim for it, too, but wouldn't you just plain get smooshed by all that water pressure?

So far no one has mentioned a very very popular diving disaster in the making..

None other than then the "larger" than life lifeguards of Baywatch!

Come on.. ever notice that they are called to a diving accident and instead of suiting up (most of the time) they grab pony bottles and head down to whatever depth is required to "save the day"

Case in point.. There was one episode where Mitch's ex-wife and kid are trapped on a plane that crashed and went under water.. (how convienent)

Well the lifeguards dove down and got into the plane, handed the survivors pony bottles and dragged them out.

If i weren't a diver, and was trapped underwater, in a plane, with a bottle that only had a few breaths in it, do really think I would remember to exhale on the way up, take slow deep breaths?

What about water pressure?? shouldn't of that been a factor?

Not only that.. They routinely save people close to shore, and they will dive underwater near the breakers, but yet the water is always clear and full of sea life.

A large majority of the beaches where this is supposed to take place are just sand for the first 200-300 yards out.

Its a great show if you want frolicing beach bunnies, but other than that, its hardly realistic.

Paul

Originally posted by LilmanHSU Its a great show if you want frolicing beach bunnies, but other than that, its hardly realistic.[/B]

But the beach bunnies run! It's a show about running beach bunnies! :)

Really?

I always thought it was about the diffcult and often stressful situations LA County life guards are put into everyday and how they cope with that?

Ahh what am I saying.

Its about getting a tan, running bunnies, and who's dating who.

=)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom