Scuba Pro S tek fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on over, I’ll even make you a sandwich while you work!
I'd like that, to meet you in person and go diving would be awesome. I'm not big on food, sandwich would be easy, 2 pieces of dry bread and a piece of sliced cheese.

IMG_4288.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg

First dive with S tek;
ihad my buddy try them first so I could visualize them in action, I used the supernovas on this first dive.

hie first impression, “probably the worst fins I’ve tried” he usually dives Jet fins. He didn’t feel much power from them. He mostly frog kicks.

second dive I switched the blades so I could use the S on my supernova foot pocket (they are the same foot pockets but I put longer bungee on the supernova to better fit my size 15 feet.) he used the supernova fin blades and I used the S blades.

bottom line if you find the concept of easy pack fins that come apart for travel get the super nova, much better in my opinion.

the supers are a big improvement over the older Seawing nova fins, even the gorillas, they offer much better stability without the wobble of the older fins, more power and control with alternative kicks.

the S Tek are nice for a flutter kick especially later in the dive when you have tired legs, the heavily bent blade does slide through the kick easily, sort of feel like force fins but where they I think they sacrificed to much for a smooth frog kick preload by eliminating the added ribbing and Skegs of the super nova, the side of the blade does slide through the water easier without much feed back but they don’t seem to have the same push that you expect from a frog kick. My buddy concurred and thought the supernova were much better.

i plan to dive these for several more dives to see if I can find a technique that works well with them.

also the weight thing on these with both plates I would call more of a negative neutral rather than negative which does make them more negative than the super nova but nothing like I had hoped.

A few updated thoughts,
I feel the center vent near the weighs is passing to much water and it’s having an adverse effect on frog kick efficiency (this is the other side of the shiny “S” weight plate so it can be toned down a bit
IMG_8527.jpeg

I’ve switched the plates to point the other way so they obstruct about 1/2 of the opening, I’ll put on my drysuit and try them in the pool shortly.
the other side
IMG_8528.jpeg

im also considering adding Skegs to offset what I feel was to much compromise on the edges of the fin to make them slide sideways easier in the frogkick preload.
IMG_8529.jpeg

Just out of the 60° pool,decided to just do double 1mm suits with a 2-3 shorty rather than drysuit
putting the weights on the top of the fin to obstruct the big channel give me about 30% more push in the frog kick, flutter feels better too.
IMG_8530.jpeg
IMG_8531.jpeg

now do I add the Skegs or wait until I can ocean test??

Just out of the 60° pool,decided to just do double 1mm suits with a 2-3 shorty rather than drysuit
putting the weights on the top of the fin to obstruct the big channel give me about 30% more push in the frog kick, flutter feels better too.View attachment 805378View attachment 805379

now do I add the Skegs or wait until I can ocean test??

Are the weight plates attached to the bottom of the blade and you attached them to the top of the blade with the plates turned upside down?

Are the weight plates attached to the bottom of the blade and you attached them to the top of the blade with the plates turned upside down?
The plates are on the bottom from the factory, in a depression , the plastic piece that the screws go into is now in the depression, and the plates are now on the flat top part of the fin.

Decided to change the bungee on these, it’s pretty simple if you want longer/shorter or different color bungee.
after removing the bungee, look inside and you’ll see a slot, a small screwdriver in there and lift the cover off
IMG_8536.jpeg

you can see how the bungee fits in
IMG_8537.jpeg

use the screw driver to lift it away from the tabs.

i cut this bungee 2” longer, now push it through the hole
IMG_8538.jpeg

pull the slack in and seat the bungee end first.
IMG_8539.jpeg

pull it tight, once you do this you’ll get over any thoughts of this being a weak retention system.

nextpost for more pics

Back
Top Bottom