Scuba Radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba Radio is not known to everyone, but should be. It's on a couple of dozen radio stations( 3-5 pm Saturdays Eastern Time), but you can stream some of it live and listen to all of it after the fact on scubaradio.com. They have interesting interviews- from manfacturers to JM Cousteau, have interesting stuff to buy, and it's just fun. It's laid back, and Greg the divemaster is a genuinely nice guy. I have been a follower for a long time, even before he agreed to plug our book (listen on June 25). Anyway- it's a part of the scuba community you should check out!

Sorry, I just can't get into it and don't understand how they've been around so long. I subscribed to the podcast for a few years before I decided to stop wasting the time each week. It's nonstop sexual jokes towards the mermaids, the DAN "interviews" are terribly scripted and there's usually 5-10 minutes of actual information out of the entire hour or two. I tried so hard to like it, but just couldn't. Every woman I've had listen to it has wanted to smack me afterwards due to how sexist it comes across. Different strokes I guess.

I have to agree with the comments about the chit chat and sexism, but they do offer insightful interviews on occasion- ie, Jean Michelle Cousteau recently. I listen in part for new product and event information, and occasional discount deals. It is what it is, another "character" in the scuba world. Not for everyone.
DivemasterDennis

Maybe that's the problem, I have listened to too many episodes where there is absolutely nothing of value, so now I miss the occasional worthwhile bit. I thought at first it was because I was listening to the podcasts while driving and wasn't dedicating my full attention, so I sat down for 6 episodes with pen and paper and focused on listening with the intent on writing down anything of value. At the end, my paper was still blank :(

I agree with the above posts. I periodically download the show on my iphone hoping that the content has changed or improved. I keep hoping.... Ultimately Greg the divemaster spends most of the time trying to make jokes. That'd be fine if he were actually funny. There's almost nothing of any real value in the show.

I'm another "I don't get it" seems to me it's Howard Stern lite with ads for diving gear.

Agreed, this show just doesn't do it for me. Scuba Obsessed (iTunes) is a show that's a little less refined (editing wise) but is more like sitting around the table talking about scuba topics. Much more valuable info and interesting.

Well I thing we can get something out of this show, but we have to be in a positive mind and view about this. Something is better than nothing. I don’t agree at all with some of the viewers. Anyway nice to share own thought in this board.

Well I thing we can get something out of this show...Something is better than nothing.

Ya, you can get something out of the show. In exchange for listening to 45 minutes irrelevant banter filled with tasteless comments you will be rewarded with a review on a scuba related book or some random piece of news or equipment...I'd rather that combo be the other way around. You can keep Scuba Radio and the rest of us will go where there is some real scuba conversation.

Also, there are other options out there as mentioned above. Go listen to them and you'll see a stark difference and will likely stop wasting your time with Scuba Radio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom