Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, even Iown portable, 2-way marine radios. He went to sea without any. :silly:

I like Wookie's hunch.

Just to take it a step further, what if the safety equipment/bilge pump/even the engine were removed from the Scuba Shack Get Wet while the vessel was under investigation by the Coast Guard before they completed their investigation? I'd bet Lt. Fry would be purple pissed, and he's just the nicest guy.

Wow! What an obstruction of justice that would be. Especially if it all sunk in the Straights of Florida.....

I LIVE IN KEY WEST! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN KEY LARGO. I'M SURE IT STAYS THERE.

He went to sea without any.
That's not really what I said. Don't read into it any more that what I have posted: I am unable to clarify further.

Just to take it a step further, what if the safety equipment/bilge pump/even the engine were removed from the Scuba Shack Get Wet while the vessel was under investigation by the Coast Guard before they completed their investigation? I'd bet Lt. Fry would be purple pissed, and he's just the nicest guy.

Wow! What an obstruction of justice that would be. Especially if it all sunk in the Straights of Florida.....

Preliminary reports bilge pump inoperative. No shortage of witnesses at Pilot House every AM

Follow up... the boat that just sank on it's way to Bimini was captained by the same individual as the Get Wet incident. However, reports are that he did not make any distress calls to the Coast Guard due to not having a working radio on board. A passing freighter just happened to see the boat go down in 3,000 ft of water and pulled him to safety. The boat was loaded with electronics, dive gear and ??? Now the local speculation revolves around a few possible scenarios: Bad luck, insurance fraud, destroying evidence or revenge. Me? I don't know, but I would like to believe the first one. It is my understanding in talking with the Coast Guard that charges in the first incident are pending and immanent. There is a lot more scuttlebutt that I simply refuse to post as it has been unverified by more than one source.

We now take you back to our regularly scheduled program: "As the Keys turn..." :D

Wow Net Doc, this is some story! Weird....... I know nada, but am guessing that some are saying that the owner of Scuba Shack went down with the boat yesterday...........................as an ex newsie--this one just went to the top of the weird news section. I will look here and/or Undercurrent sometime soon for the whole story.

Follow up... the boat that just sank on it's way to Bimini was captained by the same individual as the Get Wet incident. However, reports are that he did not make any distress calls to the Coast Guard due to not having a working radio on board. A passing freighter just happened to see the boat go down in 3,000 ft of water and pulled him to safety. The boat was loaded with electronics, dive gear and ??? Now the local speculation revolves around a few possible scenarios: Bad luck, insurance fraud, destroying evidence or revenge. Me? I don't know, but I would like to believe the first one. It is my understanding in talking with the Coast Guard that charges in the first incident are pending and immanent. There is a lot more scuttlebutt that I simply refuse to post as it has been unverified by more than one source.

What are the odds of a captain having two boats, owned by the same person, sink out from underneath him in a one month period? :popcorn:

Lets make up some stuff. He was headed to Bimini. The owners of the Scuba Shack are opening a dive shop in Bimini. There was gear owned by the Scuba Shack in Key Largo that would have been of use in Bimini, and was an asset that could be seized in the event of a lawsuit in the United States.

THIS IS COMPLETELY CONJECTURE, RUMOR, AND GOSSIP ON MY PART. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING THAT I HAVEN'T READ IN THIS THREAD.

Things that make you go Hmmmm. I wonder if there is any dive gear in the property formerly (or perhaps still) occupied by the Key Largo Dive Shack.

The part above in RED is not rumor though. According to the posts on Scuba Shacks FB page, the owner was opening a dive shop in Bimini.

he was also opening a Live Aboard dive operation/charter. (now that's scary).

As for the rest of the above, I'd say you nailed it. (rumor or not).

Reactions: Jax
he was also opening a Live Aboard dive operation/charter. (now that's scary).

Hmm not sure that business will make it. A Live Aboard is worthless once it sinks. And with the track record they have I doubt it could float for even a week.

Highflier

Wow, a new soap opera. As The Propellor Turns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom