Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want you all to be clear on what happened, and what to look out for the next time you walk onto a dive boat, it could save your life.

Happy diving.

You do mean that you want us all to be aware that even the captains of boats are negligent and really do not actively make all efforts to ensure that the boat we are on is safe to be on. I use these words simply because you (and apparently other captains of this vessel) felt it acceptable to ignore safety issues and risk sinking every time you went out, thus putting the crew and passengers potentially in harms way. Your willingness to ignore these problems means that you are part of the problem. I certainly hope you will learn to put the crew and passenger's safety before your employer's pocketbook.

1st my thoughts and prayers to the people involved. I also want to thank Bmsrfan for coming forth with his info.
I am a diver/boat owner/captain. If I were to work for someone operating their boat and I could fix little things I would, but that being said It would open me up to the fact that I am not a certified mechanic and if something was not fixed properly guess what would happen in this case. I dont believe that hatches caused this accident something else was going on for the boat to get that low in the water. I would hate to think that if I didnt like the way someone maintained their boat and I quit because of that,people would blame me for something that happened after I left. Where does it stop???

Last edited by a moderator:
Can not seem to find any pictures of the boat itself- what kind of boat was this? Having been a captain for many years I find it hard to believe that unsealed deck hatches caused the sinking. The post from a disgruntled ex-employee may have some truth to it but with the speed it seems that this boat went down the leak was much more than an unsealed deck hatch.

One unsecured hatch is all it takes when taking following seas over the transom

If I am reading this right and forgive me if I am wrong. 8 passengers on board and it is a 6 pack. Does that mean just divers or all passengers?

If I am reading this right and forgive me if I am wrong. 8 passengers on board and it is a 6 pack. Does that mean just divers or all passengers?

It's 6 passengers and 2 crew.

I wonder if the boat had a leak. It operated for years with removable hatches. If there was a leak the hull would be loaded with water, when the boat was throttled up all the water that was evenly distributed would rush to the back of the boat, sinking the stern, followed by everyone on board.

I just read the Herald story, it does sound like a pretty good leak

Seatow, a commercial salvage company, worked Monday afternoon to recover the boat and bring it back to land. The boat was brought to the surface, and the water pumped out. But it sank again.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/19/2553098/seven-saved-one-dead-from-sinking.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom