Scuba Tank FreeZe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a tank i had fiiled in May 08 and it has been in my out building since.
Our temps have been down to 18 below zero,is it still ok to breathe.
Is there any chance it could exploid if i take it in the pool since its so cold?

It will be fine to breathe. It won't blow up if you put it in the pool, but if you dip it in and then pull it back out quickly the subzero tank will freeze what ever water is on it.

I was looking at the forecast last night for the Spearfish area and noted subzero temps all week. I kinda miss it.

It will be fine. I store all my tanks in the garage every winter. I usually drain the tanks down to 100 PSI for storage, but if you put good air in, you will have good air come spring.

Our tanks stay set up in our vehicles 24-7-365. They go from well over 100df to sub-zero temps year after year and we have never had a problem. A few times the air in the tank was so cold it caused a minor sore throat but other than that don't worry about it.

Gary D.

I would think that a tank filled to 3000 # in may would have less than 3000# in 18 below 0. Not an expert but if I was to use the tanks I would warm them up. That would be some cold air to breath.

Out of curiosity, what effect would very cold air in a tank have on the first and second stage regulators.

It could cause problems for some regs.

These guys don't have much of a problem, but take a look at some of the pics of ice forming on the outside of the regs.

do you know which regs they use?

Back
Top Bottom