Scuba Tank FreeZe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think that a tank filled to 3000 # in may would have less than 3000# in 18 below 0. Not an expert but if I was to use the tanks I would warm them up. That would be some cold air to breath.

It's the same amount of air but assuming it held 3000psi at 82 degrees, the pressure at -18F, (100 degrees colder) would be almost 20% less. It will draw some heat from the regs and lines beyond what it normally draws during expansion, so don't dive cold water with it, and it might still be cooler than normal by the time you breathe it.

No problem otherwise, but the tank will probably accumulate some frost when you bring it into the humidity of the pool room. Suit up in advance, it might be a cool photo op.

BTW- you might have hit on the solution to chronic short fills -- fill all your tanks outdoors at 18 below.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom