Scubaboard copyright violation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved, not a Site Support issue...

Just the use of the image, under normal circumstances. If you found an image someplace that you wanted to use. What would adequate monetary compensation be? I know it will vary, but what is the range? $5? $50? I really have no idea.
First, I would have taken the diver out of the picture completely, or placed another/ the same diver in a different location (probably just gotten rid of the diver). Next, I would have taken out all the green, leaving the blue, but taking the image to almost gray scale and partially cartoon the image... it would have been very difficult to claim copyright infringement after all those alterations :)

How was the original post not a site support issue?

If someone's property has been taken, they should be allowed to be a little upset and they shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

Instead, there are a bunch of posts, some from staff, arguing about how ridiculous it is to complain about the (alleged) theft of someone's property and a dive into arguing over whether its legal to do or not.

Site support seems much more appropriate than whine and cheese. Moving this to whine and cheese is another misstep in handling this - imho.

This was a simple thing to resolve.

Step 1: If its yours, were sorry.

Step 2: In the future, be more careful that you have permission for the images used. All you have to do is ask. If you don't ask, every once in a while someone might get upset and then you might end up with lawyers and problems. Instead, just ask. Almost all will probably say, sure - no problem. But if they don't, move on and pick a different picture. No lawyers. No rules. Simple solution.

Edited after reading resolution posts.

Edited to reduce flame wars from continuing

Last edited:
You say the image is worth $20. This is your basis from what?

Give me your paypal address and I will send you $20 to go away as the troll you are.

All I ask is that NetDoc double the space I have on the servers for image store... I'm running out of space, dude!

If its his image to sell, its worth the price he sets on it. If someone thinks that's too high, then they just don't use it.

Calling someone a troll for complaining when their photo is (allegedly) taken without so much as asking is poor form (imho).

Okay, enough of this poo-storm.

Jim, you've demonstrated you're PO'd that someone used your work without permission. I respect that.

On behalf of ScubaBoard, the USO has a few more dollars.

Confirmation Number:

Transaction ID:

Date:

May 30, 2011
Personal Information:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Name redacted
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Email redacted
Billing Address:

XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX Address redacted.
Contribution Information:

$25.00
general contribution

May we consider the point closed? BTW --- freakin' awesome pics, Jim!
F-N-A - Good for you. I didn't see his post and then yours when I posted the above... Per the OP, this issue is considered resolved!

As I read through this thread I am reminded why I like the internet so much. One of the great things about the internet is I can find so much free legal advice, and is worth every penny it costs me!

Not saying that some of it is not great advice, but sometimes it's not that easy to tell which is which, cause everyone sounds really so damsure of themselves.

As I read through this thread I am reminded why I like the internet so much. One of the great things about the internet is I can find so much free legal advice, and is worth every penny it costs me!

Not saying that some of it is not great advice, but sometimes it's not that easy to tell which is which, cause everyone sounds really so damsure of themselves.

I'll freely admit I'm not a lawyer and anyone who blindly follows my advice is an idiot. That said, I welcome anyone to check my quote sources (when I take the time to quote it). Pretty sure the copyright and patent office is a credible source :D

I'll freely admit I'm not a lawyer and anyone who blindly follows my advice is an idiot. That said, I welcome anyone to check my quote sources (when I take the time to quote it). Pretty sure the copyright and patent office is a credible source :D
You're making this up as you go, aren't you?... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom