Info Scubapro Announces the availability of SP's newest high end technical dive computer with full GF support, G2 Tek, in the EMEA market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which computer are you talking about, the SP, the SW, or the Ratio?
I was referring to the Perdix 2 having a depth rating of 260 meters, but having a depth sensor that only works properly to 130 meters. The Scubapro has a depth rating of 120 meters, but the depth sensor also works at that depth. In my comparison I said the Perdix goes significantly deeper, but in reality the useful depth is only 10 meters deeper. I'm thinking that you understand this, so my lengthy explanation is more for other readers. Thanks for asking the question.

I was referring to the Perdix 2 having a depth rating of 260 meters, but having a depth sensor that only works properly to 130 meters. The Scubapro has a depth rating of 120 meters, but the depth sensor also works at that depth. In my comparison I said the Perdix goes significantly deeper, but in reality the useful depth is only 10 meters deeper. I'm thinking that you understand this, so my lengthy explanation is more for other readers. Thanks for asking the question.
Interesting. The Perdix 2 specs say the "calibrated depth sensor range" is to 130m, but the "crush depth" is 260m. The Petrel (and the Teric) specs say the "depth rating" is 150m.
For comparison, the G2TEK says the "depth rating" is 120m for the computer's deco model, and deeper for gage mode, but I can't find a "crush depth" rating.
The Ratio says "max depth" is 300m.

So now we’re over the p**sing contest of which can go twice as deep as most people ever descend to…

How much can the G2 be customised to display your required info on the front page, such as SurfGF, TTS, Ceiling, runtime and stop time?

What’s it like to use with secondary information? What other info is available? Can you change gasses mid dive (e.g. using someone else’s decompression gas), can you alter GF-hi during the dive? What’s the menu system like? Will it allow you to miss stops without locking (e.g. must get to a gas switch)

You know, the things you need to know and change.

My guess is they are both very good, I have a perdix 2 but would likely be as happy with one of these.

I haven't used either (I use a regular G2), but it looks like they are pretty comparable. The G2 Tek can pair with 8 transmitters instead of 4 for the Perdix 2, but the Perdix has a user-replaceable battery and is rated for significantly deeper.

I mean, obviously Shearwater is one of the absolute best companies in, like, forever, but I don't see an actual functionality reason that the G2 Tek wouldn't do an acceptable job for technical diving down to its 120 meter depth rating. I don't even see anything in the manual about locking out if a stop is missed, though it does go into alarm. Does anyone see a necessary tech feature that the Perdix 2 has that the G2 Tek does not?

The only real advantage I see for the G2 Tek is that used units will probably be available for cheaper than used Perdixes. I regularly find G2 computers with transmitters for $500-600.
The manual is pretty clear about locking you out. Read the section on SOS mode.

If you stay above a depth of 0.8m/3ft for more than 3 minutes without observing a mandatory decompression stop, the G2TEK will switch into SOS mode. Once in SOS mode the G2TEK will lock up and will be inoperable as a decompression dive computer for 24 hours if it was dived in Scuba mode. If it is used for diving within the 24hours of an SOS lock, it will automatically switch to Gauge mode and provide no decompression information.

Read the section on SOS mode.
Thanks! I missed that. This will certainly take it off the list for many. Because I'm curious, do the Shearwaters just keep running the calculations after missing a stop? Are they valid? I hope it's obvious I'm not a tech diver. I just enjoy knowing things. Thanks

Why would you want to go back diving within 24 hours of your missing a deco stop in a prior dive?
I have used a Teric as a backup comp with my rebreather running a petrel ext. Since the Teric is not reading the actual ppo2, sometimes it goes into deco when my primary computer that reads the actual ppo2 does not. This leads to a missed stop that i can safely ignore.

Yes the Scubapro Family Computer

The Scuba P dive shop with the boat had lots of the dive boat users buying them
The Scuba P dive shop with the boat had most of their staff buying them cheaper
Then lots of folks realised the G2 computers failings, then started to buy Perdixes
Realising that going against the flow is hard the sp shop began selling shearwater
after most of the staff and the customers had already bought Perdix, as he is slow

So in the backwater of Brisbane, lay in many a dark underpants drawer, many G2s

Unsaleable after having spent in this country around one and a half thousand $$$

So only a year or two ago

So Shearwater or be slow

Then people with more money than brains, started vigorously splashing on Terics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom