Scubapro annual service fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, thanks alot for the serious and informative replies. I understand that this is life support equipment. I also know that this stuff is suppose to be built pretty tough. I am someone with lots of hobbies and every dollar spent on one hobbie is a dollar not available for the other. But of course I don't want to die underwater either. We try to do one weekend a month diving. Here is what last weekend cost me and my wife diving in Morehead City, NC-

Two boat dives (8 dives total, 4 each) - $420.
Rental tanks/air (8 100's NITROX) -$144
Hotel (2 nights) - $260
Gas - $30
Bought new Jet fins (2 pair of course) - $200
Boarding the dogs - $96
Picked up regs from service - $150
Food (not sure) - around $90 (probably more, we went to a nice restraunt once)

So, eight dives (4 each) cost us ~$1390. I didn't even figure in tipping the mates and other stuff. Now that sounds insane really for a weekend. Of course the Jet fins won't be purchased on upcoming dives. And the reg service is now done. But take that away and the weekend still cost us $1060 ($530 each), so that's basically $173.75 a dive. Two of our dives were on shallow wrecks (65 feet), so we had some time on the bottom. But the rest were deep dives. Short dives. Man, I shouldn't have stopped to add all this up. Anyway, I totally enjoy every dive and really I don't regret the money spent. But I just want to save where I can.

I actually called Scubapro to ask what they charge for service. The tech I talked to basically said I can only go to a dealer, but that if I did send it to Scubapro it would be $75 for the 1st/2nd stage pair. $35 more for the Octo. I said I couldn't believe it. He acted like I was being a tight wad. Maybe I am, but it is my money. And really, those dollars spent mean less diving. We're now rethinking future dives and are going to probably find a cheaper method, maybe one day adventures that don't require boarding the animals. I guess what really set me off on this annual servicing is that I didn't ask the dive shop the cost. I had read Scubapro's website about 'FREE PARTS FOR LIFE' and like a dummy thought there was some nominal fee.

Ok, I am done venting I guess.

The price in my area is about $35.00 per stage IF the reg is still under warranty. That comes to $105.00 per year in service fees alone. If your reg is not under warranty, you can expect to pay an additional $40.00 - $60.00 just for the parts. As jamei said, you would really be better off buying a new set of regs every 4 years rather than spending that much on service fees. Annual service is merely a suggestion. For people who take exceptional care of their regs, they can go much longer before needing service. I have a Mk10 and a G250 that have not been serviced in 3 years, and they are spotless and work great. (Granted I do take better care of my regs than the vast majority of divers.) I service my own regs because I know that I'll do a better job than the LDS, and because it is cheaper. SP's "Free Parts For Life" program is deceptive and is basically useless.

Hi Munkispank,
What dive shop are you talking about? I'm getting ready to buy regs and bc and hope to hook up with a good reliable LDS.
Thanks,
Doug

ams511:
I would have complained and told them I will take my business elsewhere.
BIG ditto on that one. What the heck were those guys thinking? Throwing away a perfectly good customer for a few bucks.
Take your business where they see you as a person, not a cash cow in need of milking.

Free parts? There is no free lunch, ya wind up paying for it one way or another. :eyebrow:

I know, I live where there is no SP authorized service, at least not available for walk in trade. When I was back in the states a couple of years ago, (on business in the Washington DC area) I took my regs to a authorized dealer, National Dive Center. I originally purchased the regs six years ago from Sports Chalet (at the time an authorized SP dealer) in Southern California. I was on a short R&R to the US and they had the regs in stock.

I managed to get the regs serviced on time for the first couple of years of ownership (SP factory service in Southern California) but then business kept me away from the USA for a couple of years.

I have the plastic ID warranty cards from SP. National Dive Center told me that SP would not provide the free parts because I had missed a service and further more, SP would no longer allow me to buy back into the warranty program. I checked with SP and they confirmed all of this.

Needless to say, I just purchased Apeks regs and will never buy another SP product again nor will I patronize National Dive Center in Washington DC!

PS I also purchased the Apeks at a discount and not from an LDS.

We were first certified NAUI in 1988. Back then I used US Divers gear. Then my wife and I dropped out of diving for a while. Then we got back into it a few years ago. Bought all new gear a year ago, and based on everything I read, chose Scubapro. Fast forward a year and we face the option of losing the 'free parts for life' program. I really didn't fully understand my options. The LDS won't explain it clearly. I guess because they want that service fee. I know one thing, we took the gear in for service and got grilled. "Are you the original owner?!", "Do you have the plastic card?!", "Are you current on service?!". They were just hoping for at least one wrong answer so they could also hit me for parts. As a 'what if', I called another shop this weekend. Same treatment. Anyway, I pamper any type of gear I have. These regs are pampered. By the way, we have 10 stages of Scubapro. Our ponies have MK2/R190 combos. Main regs are MK25/G250HP/R190 Octo. I have no complaints about the way the gear works. It breaths fine at all depths. But this warranty bothers me. I just feel it is in a way a scam to bring money into the LDS. I'm going to think about it. I've done the annual thing this year, so I have a year to decide. I think if Scubapro was really caring about the customer, they'd honor the 'Free parts for life' anytime you decided to bring in the regs. So you want to skip a year. What of it. It is still Scubapro gear. Scubapro has lost me as a repeat customer. At some point I'm changing brands. My wife is leaning towards continuing the annual service. She just feels it's like paying insurance ($75 each a year). I'm a tight wad and like doing my own mechanics. I'm leaning towards learning to service my own regs.

I don't understand this hard-line attitude. It's not like the LDS is out any cash when they give you free parts. Assuming they follow their procedures correctly, the LDS gets the parts replaced. I guess it's possible their trying to preserve their markup on the parts, but if they're too concerned with the little markup they get, then they're probably not doing very well anyway. They still make the bulk of their money on the service.

LesN, I don't know where you are in VA, but you can try Atlantic Edge in Gaithersburg, MD. We won't give you a hard time. I do 25-50% of the regs, and we give the owners a lot of lattitude with the hope of repeat business.

LesN:
We were first certified NAUI in 1988. Back then I used US Divers gear. Then my wife and I dropped out of diving for a while. Then we got back into it a few years ago. Bought all new gear a year ago, and based on everything I read, chose Scubapro. Fast forward a year and we face the option of losing the 'free parts for life' program. I really didn't fully understand my options. The LDS won't explain it clearly. I guess because they want that service fee. I know one thing, we took the gear in for service and got grilled. "Are you the original owner?!", "Do you have the plastic card?!", "Are you current on service?!". They were just hoping for at least one wrong answer so they could also hit me for parts. As a 'what if', I called another shop this weekend. Same treatment. Anyway, I pamper any type of gear I have. These regs are pampered. By the way, we have 10 stages of Scubapro. Our ponies have MK2/R190 combos. Main regs are MK25/G250HP/R190 Octo. I have no complaints about the way the gear works. It breaths fine at all depths. But this warranty bothers me. I just feel it is in a way a scam to bring money into the LDS. I'm going to think about it. I've done the annual thing this year, so I have a year to decide. I think if Scubapro was really caring about the customer, they'd honor the 'Free parts for life' anytime you decided to bring in the regs. So you want to skip a year. What of it. It is still Scubapro gear. Scubapro has lost me as a repeat customer. At some point I'm changing brands. My wife is leaning towards continuing the annual service. She just feels it's like paying insurance ($75 each a year). I'm a tight wad and like doing my own mechanics. I'm leaning towards learning to service my own regs.

LesN:
---snip--- I read, chose Scubapro. Fast forward a year and we face the option of losing the 'free parts for life' program. I really didn't fully understand my options. The LDS won't explain it clearly. I guess because they want that service fee. I know one thing, we took the gear in for service and got grilled. "Are you the original owner?!", "Do you have the plastic card?!", "Are you current on service?!". They were just hoping for at least one wrong answer so they could also hit me for parts. As a 'what if', I called another shop this weekend. Same treatment.
What a load of BS! Maybe Scuba Pro should be advised of these "jerks"?
This Link might offer some explanations straight from Scuba Pro. I have a MK2, MK25 and a MK16, plus some Apeks regs. All good stuff and if you take care of your kit (you said you did) with regular servicing and maintenance it will last a lifetime.

redkev:
I have the plastic ID warranty cards from SP. National Dive Center told me that SP would not provide the free parts because I had missed a service and further more, SP would no longer allow me to buy back into the warranty program. I checked with SP and they confirmed all of this.

When did this occur? A change in the warranty reinstatement process is cetainly news to me.

I called Scubacenter in Richmond VA. Asked about getting my Scubapro regulators serviced. First thing out the guys mouth was "are you the original owner?". The second was "Are you current on servicing?". Third was "Do you have the plastic warranty card?". No kidding. Then he tells me they charge $25 a stage (Scubapro's recommended charge). Now here is my dilema. We have 10 stages total. I just don't feel my gear needs to be totally redone each year. So far this year my wife and I have been to the Bahamas for 4 days diving, a three day live-aboard out of Morehead and two other weekends in Morehead. Done a couple of quarry dives. Probably do a few more trips to Morehead if the money holds out and hit the quarry a few more times. So, what I would like to do is the "Parts for life" maybe every other year. But it appears if I skip a year, that's that. I don't mind spending money if I feel it is really getting me something, but I don't like throwing away $250 either. There is a Scubapro dealer in Charlottesville and I've been told that she is extemely honest. I'm checking with her about all this.

Also, when I purchased my regs for the ponies, I didn't get a warranty card. I thought nothing of it at the time. Anyway, anybody been to Scubapro's website and gone to the link regarding obtaining a new warranty card? Here is what they want-

When contacting SCUBAPRO about a product registration issue, you will need to have the following information available:
Product Description and/or Part Number
Product Serial Number(s)
Place of Purchase
Date of Purchase
Proof of Purchase
Proof of Annual Service (if applicable)
Please be sure to include your full name and mailing address.

Now, I've had my pony regs a little less than one year. I contacted them via e-mail regarding obtaining a card and have gotten no response at all. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but it shouldn't be this hard. With Scubapro, it appears the customer IS NOT always right. I'd rather not have to bother with all this warranty crap. I just want to dive. I know, I know, pay the $250 a year.

Back
Top Bottom