Scubapro Balanced Adjustable - have you seen this version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the offer but the ACD is a feature I find very desirable and useful and it does work. Proven by my wife who dunks her Legend in saltwater with the cap off, by a buddy who pulled her first stage off at depth to reseat the O-ring and her dragging it through the beach sand countless times. It is pristine inside. I like that feature a lot.

Hmmm maybe I'll get an ACD fitting to try for myself.

Those that don't like ACD's:

Why?

I don't because I like the simplicity of the 8mm hex yoke inlet where possible, negates the need for a socket to undo yoke inlet. I like simple. Lower parts count is always a bonus to me too.

Those that don't like ACD's:

Why?

Because some people live in the past, I used to.

There was a hullabaloo over the ACD on a Legend backing off. If it backs off enough the ACD may not be fully actuated restricting or stopping air flow. As a professional mechanic A&P my retort to that is to properly install, torque and inspect. They make these things called torque wrenches, I use them. Core ACD:

There was a change in design, an improvement, I think refered to in the PL above.

If one does not install correctly the "Jesus" nut on a helicopter rotating assembly bad things might happen. This tends to be very upsetting to all involved, especially the pilots. The point is that excrement happens to those who do things halfaxx and expect different.

James

There was a change in design, an improvement, I think
Actually, Aqualung didn't improve the design. They "modified" to keep someone from dying. The shutter valve is still susceptible to undertorque, so we need to be like @Nemrod and put things back together by the book. What Aqualung did was to put a little ridge on the top of the shutter valve so that if it comes unscrewed, it can't rise high enough to occlude the air path from the tank.
20181101_164052.jpg

For this to be an issue, you need
1) an old shutter valve (lots of those still around)
2) undertorque and loosening
3) a tank valve with a 6mm, rather than 8mm opening
A difficult Swiss Cheese to find, so no deaths so far, BUT THREE "could'a died's" that were reported first hand in this lonnnng thread:
' Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth
plus the DAN article from 2016 regarding a fourth diver.
There was one Consumer Safety Alert, and one service bulletin to "torque properly" (27 in-lb counterclockwise!!) but no admission there was ever a design flaw, nor a recall. DIN ACD was not susceptible to this problem.

Which regulators have an ACD feature?
Interestingly, the new'ish DGX XTRA piston first stage has a nicely designed ACD feature (along with a second o-ring to protect the HP piston shaft oring from ambient seawater). A pretty cool reg, actually, with a second stage that is close to a SP G260. And they'll sell you service kits.
IMG_20221029_155008.jpg

Hollis has discontinued its old ACD feature for different problems, and owners have to have it removed at service. I pulled one out of an FDX10 just last week.
I don't know who else has ACD.

Looking at schematic that DGX second stage is very similar to the G260 indeed, just wish they'd used the seat saving purge too, guess that would've added to production cost but that would've made it a deal maker for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom