Scubapro Everdry 4 and Dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula Trounce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!
I own a Scubapro Everdry 4 drysuit (which i really like). I have lost a bit of weight and it started to leak a bit from the neck and wrists. I've had the neck replaced with a smaller one and i'm thinking of fitting a Northern Diver V3 Dry Glove Ring System.
The Everdry is compressed Neoprene with Neoprene seals. My noob questions are:
Has anyone done this on this suit? Does it work well? How do you stop your hands getting squeezed? Can the system be removed if I want to dive without gloves? Is it worth it?
Thank you!

Hello!
I own a Scubapro Everdry 4 drysuit (which i really like). I have lost a bit of weight and it started to leak a bit from the neck and wrists. I've had the neck replaced with a smaller one and i'm thinking of fitting a Northern Diver V3 Dry Glove Ring System.
The Everdry is compressed Neoprene with Neoprene seals. My noob questions are:
Has anyone done this on this suit? Does it work well? How do you stop your hands getting squeezed? Can the system be removed if I want to dive without gloves? Is it worth it?
Thank you!

My wife has a hyper-compressed neoprene drysuit. When she had it made, she specified that she wanted the Si-Tech Quick Neck and QCS Oval wrist seal systems installed.

The Si-Tech systems will allow you to install/replace the seals with neoprene, latex, or silicone seals. Si-Tech/Waterproof have a special neoprene neck seal if that is your preference. Although I don't think they have neoprene wrist seals, they do have silicone wrist seals that come in 2 sizes, standard and small. The silicone neck seals put out by Si-Tech and Waterproof also come in standard and small size as well.

There are a myriad of dryglove systems that are designed to integrate directly with the Si-Tech QCS Oval system, here is a list of some of them (in my order of preference):

1. Waterproof Ultima DGS
2. Rolock 90
3. Si-Tech Virgo
4. Fourth Element Ellipse
5. Si-Tech Antares

The Northern Diver system is not a bad system but it seems quite bulky...that aside, the divers that I know who have it like it....though there is a member in the club I am in that recently purchased it for his Everdry suit and could not get it to install/seal properly on the suit cuffs, but I think that was more an issue of him than the suit/northern divers system.

The major benefit, in my mind, of the si-tech system, is that it provides insurance that if one were to tear a seal while getting ready to dive, or between dives, in mere minutes they could replace the seal on-site without much fuss (granted they have an extra seal in their save-a-dive kit).

Some ways to prevent glove squeeze are:
1. Use the 1mm internal diameter silicone tubing that some systems come with under the wrist seal - if a system doesnt come with this it can be purcahsed online (I bought 15ft of it from amazon.com). The idea is that this creates a small channel for the air to equalize between the suit and the glove.
2. use a piece of bungee cord under the wrist seal
3. pull the cuff of your undergarment under the wrist seal
4. cut the wrist seal short - this could be a problem if your gloves spring a leak.

To be honest, I sometimes forget to install the silicone tubes that I have for my dryglove system and have not had a problem with the squeeze causing any discomfort or real issue with dexterity...and I have used them this way down to 40 meters.

Hope that helps.

-Z

That’s very informative. I’m happy to leave the neck seal as it is.
The ND being bulky doesn’t appeal much.
I’ll have to have a look at all the things you mentioned as they are not familiar to me.
Thank you.

Those systems seem to replace the whole wrist seal. Is that a DIY job?

Those systems seem to replace the whole wrist seal. Is that a DIY job?

I typed the message below and realized that I should add the following disclaimer: "Based on my experience, I am totally biased towards using the si-tech wrist system with silicone seals."

The way it would work with your suit is that the wrist seal would be trimmed back/removed and their is a flexible ring that serves as the base of the system, glued into the suit. It could be DIY job, there was someone on Scuba Board who did it and posted his experience along with details and pictures, but it is much simpler to leave it to a shop that has experience doing the install.

The Si-Tech wrist cuff systems comes with:
1. the flexible ring (known as the PU ring) that is glued into the suit.
2. the rigid oval ring that gives the system its oval profile and retains the removable wrist seal in place.
3. a set of silicone wrist seals - I believe there are two product numbers for the kit, one is for the kit with standard size silicone wrist seals, the other is for the kit with the small size wrist seals.

If you are leaning towards the system I would recommend stopping by a dive shop that carries the extra seals and just slip one over your wrist to see which one fits you better, you may find that with a silicone seal you don't need the small...or you may find that you do.

I have a semi-dry suit that I purchased barely used from a Scuba Board member. It fit well except the neoprene neck and wrist seals were to large for me....I had a local shop reduce their diameter and it worked well, but I am concerned that if I was to gain weight that I would then need to have the seals replaced. I don't use the semi-dry often, it is more for the transition season between my 5mm wetsuit and my drysuit when the air temp is cool but the water temp is still too warm to warrant the drysuit and undergarments. If my semi-dry had a seal failure it would not be a catastrophe as, although I am fairly dry diving with it, I expect ot get wet using it. If I had an issue with a seal on my drysuit, I hope it happens before splashing, as I can easily change the seal....I personally would not buy a drysuit without a user-replaceable wrist and neck seal system.

The dryglove systems that I listed are an add-on that are designed to readily integrate with the si-tech oval wrist system. One can dive without the drygloves if desired, as the wrist seal remains unaffected when the glove half is removed.

If you are just concerned about your current wrist seals leaking and are not planning on diving in water temps that require drygloves, then you should weigh the cost of having your neoprene wrist seals altered or replaced compared to purchasing and installing the si-tech wrist seal system. Neoprene seals are fairly rugged so the likely hood of seal catastrophe is much more remote than with latex and silicone seals....the major advantage of silicone seals is they are very stretchy without being excessively tight, so they provide a lot of comfort, and they are hypoallergenic (some folks have a reaction to latex seals).

Latex seals are also an option with or without the si-tech wrist system...the pros are that they air fairly durable, provide a good seal, and can last a long time if well cared for. The cons for latex seals are that the material breaks down in time especially with exposure to ozone and UV. When latex breaks down it starts to get gummy and can make a mess. They don't stretch as much as silicone so they fit tighter for similar size seal which may mean they need to be trimmed back for proper fit...if the trim job is done well it can cause a stress riser where the seal will split when stretched (this is an issue with silicone seals as well but because they stretch more it is less likely they need to be trimmed).

-Z

Amazing. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom