Scubapro Galileo HUD (hard to see?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got tired of thinking about it. I went to the LDS and told them all my concerns. They got one out. Turned it on, and updated it. She did confirm they had seen a small number of the HUD’s not come out of deep sleep. But she said it was rare for them. And she said (as I found out today) that the new firmware fixed that problem. I’ll try to get it rigged up this weekend for a dive and let you know my thoughts. If nothing else I’ll get it installed on my D mask and put it on and hook up a tank for testing. I’m excited. I gave my Sherwater to my son, who needed a computer anyway.

More to follow.

I got tired of thinking about it. I went to the LDS and told them all my concerns. They got one out. Turned it on, and updated it. She did confirm they had seen a small number of the HUD’s not come out of deep sleep. But she said it was rare for them. And she said (as I found out today) that the new firmware fixed that problem. I’ll try to get it rigged up this weekend for a dive and let you know my thoughts. If nothing else I’ll get it installed on my D mask and put it on and hook up a tank for testing. I’m excited. I gave my Sherwater to my son, who needed a computer anyway.

More to follow.

If you get to try it on an actual dive, please try the GPS feature when swimming on surface and check to see how easy it is, or not, to follow a course to a specific waypoint.

I have no issues viewing the data on the HUD even though wear readers in my mask. I don't need them for the HUD. I do not like using it with the Scubapro Frameless mask...I just can't get it positioned where the entire screen is viewable. I have no issues when I use it with the D-Mask.

I have seen one example of the deep sleep issue that required sending the unit to Scubapro. I have the latest firmware in my unit and I recently let it drain completely. I let it charge overnight and it turned on without issue.

I have no issues viewing the data on the HUD even though wear readers in my mask. I don't need them for the HUD. I do not like using it with the Scubapro Frameless mask...I just can't get it positioned where the entire screen is viewable. I have no issues when I use it with the D-Mask.

I have seen one example of the deep sleep issue that required sending the unit to Scubapro. I have the latest firmware in my unit and I recently let it drain completely. I let it charge overnight and it turned on without issue.
Thanks for this info. I can’t wait to try it out.

Question. What else do you have gear wise. My other computer was in a boot computer, psg, and compass. With the HUD having a compass do I really need a standalone? And what about the psg? I’m just trying to figure out how other people are set up.

Thanks for this info. I can’t wait to try it out.

Question. What else do you have gear wise. My other computer was in a boot computer, psg, and compass. With the HUD having a compass do I really need a standalone? And what about the psg? I’m just trying to figure out how other people are set up.
I have the Scubapro transmitter, so I do not have a SPG. I also have a G2 Tek. Both computers are set to use Gradient Factors and both are linked to the transmitter so they both show my air pressure. The HUD is nice because you can have the compass ribbon and current bearing available at all times...but I often turn the knob and put it into the "lite" display where I only have depth, dive time, tank pressure and no-stop time displayed.

It is a little more effort to set a specific bearing on the HUD than on the G2. This is because the HUD can store 3 separate named compass bearings (and depths...but I have never found that useful), and the G2 only allows a single bearing to be set.

I have the Scubapro transmitter, so I do not have a SPG. I also have a G2 Tek. Both computers are set to use Gradient Factors and both are linked to the transmitter so they both show my air pressure. The HUD is nice because you can have the compass ribbon and current bearing available at all times...but I often turn the knob and put it into the "lite" display where I only have depth, dive time, tank pressure and no-stop time displayed.

It is a little more effort to set a specific bearing on the HUD than on the G2. This is because the HUD can store 3 separate named compass bearings (and depths...but I have never found that useful), and the G2 only allows a single bearing to be set.
interesting... this helps. Sounds like with the HUD (at least in my case) I don't need a wrist compass, and I also have the transmitter, so I don't need the spg (or depth gauge). I wouldn't mind having the G2 also, but after making this purchase that will need to wait till next year. How about other gear. do you bother with a fold up snorkel, tank bangers, and what about a DSMB or knife. I ask because I like to be streamlined. So I don't carry all my stuff often. I dove a quarry in my neighborhood. But we do make trips every so often.

do you bother with a fold up snorkel
Never dove without a snorkel in my 50 years of diving (except in overhead environments.)

tank bangers
I never used them. I use dive alert.

what about a DSMB or knife.
I NEVER dive without one. I always have a DSMB and 2 - 3 types of cutting devices on me while diving.

interesting... this helps. Sounds like with the HUD (at least in my case) I don't need a wrist compass, and I also have the transmitter, so I don't need the spg (or depth gauge). I wouldn't mind having the G2 also, but after making this purchase that will need to wait till next year. How about other gear. do you bother with a fold up snorkel, tank bangers, and what about a DSMB or knife. I ask because I like to be streamlined. So I don't carry all my stuff often. I dove a quarry in my neighborhood. But we do make trips every so often.
I keep a snorkel in my bag so I can use it if I think the sea conditions might warrant its use. I don't carry a fold-up snorkel. Tank bangers should be banned! Seriously though, I see no need for a tank banger. I always have a DSMB and a spool. On my BCD I carry a small knife. When I am in BPW I carry a Trilobite cutter.

thanks guys. I always like to check out how folks are geared up. I do usually take a fold up snorkel, dive knife, and DSMB (or at least make sure someone in my group has one). I also don't have a tank banger, or anything to get attention (looking up first alert?). but I should have something (keep saying that). I don't have a reel or lights (did in the past) because I never dive a location that would need them. Sometimes I see folks with so many things attached and in pockets and bags and so on... backups of backups even. I want to be safe as well when diving... but at some point, it becomes a distraction is all.

thanks for helping me to decide on the HUD! Now I hope to find out that I like it :wink:

thanks guys. I always like to check out how folks are geared up. I do usually take a fold up snorkel, dive knife, and DSMB (or at least make sure someone in my group has one). I also don't have a tank banger, or anything to get attention (looking up first alert?). but I should have something (keep saying that). I don't have a reel or lights (did in the past) because I never dive a location that would need them. Sometimes I see folks with so many things attached and in pockets and bags and so on... backups of backups even. I want to be safe as well when diving... but at some point, it becomes a distraction is all.

thanks for helping me to decide on the HUD! Now I hope to find out that I like it :wink:
Give the HUD a number of dives before you decide if you like it or not. On my first dives I hated it. I found it distracting. After a while you will stop looking "at" it and you will start looking "through" it. This is when it becomes comfortable and will no longer be a distraction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom