Scubapro purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first regulator, and this is what I've come up with:

Scubapro MK25 first stage
Scubapro S550 second
Scubapro R380 octopus

Total cost is something like $550. (For those curious, it's from an LDS.)

Anyone else have this same setup? I've read good things about all 3 parts on this board before and tried most of it before, so I'm imagining the combination will serve me (sort of new diver...20 dives) well. Others have mentioned the S600, but I didn't know whether it's worth it to spend the extra $100, when the S550 would be totally OK. Comments?

Incidentally, I'm looking to add a computer to the mix as well...probably a Suunto Cobra console. Sadly, since it all costs so much, gear purchases will be spread over a number of months, so the Cobra will likely be next month...

rr75 once bubbled...
I'm looking to buy my first regulator, and this is what I've come up with:

Scubapro MK25 first stage
Scubapro S550 second
Scubapro R380 octopus

Total cost is something like $550. (For those curious, it's from an LDS.)

Anyone else have this same setup? I've read good things about all 3 parts on this board before and tried most of it before, so I'm imagining the combination will serve me (sort of new diver...20 dives) well. Others have mentioned the S600, but I didn't know whether it's worth it to spend the extra $100, when the S550 would be totally OK. Comments?

I dive two Mk25s, and S600 and an R380 on my doubles setup. I have been extremely pleased with their performance. I have not had any problems with them and they breath great.

The S550 is a great reg, one of my buddies uses one. I have tried it out and I can't tell any difference compared to my S600. The S600 does have an adjustment knob so that it can be detuned to be less prone to freeflow in certain situations. Either reg is great and will basically breath the same. I would probably get the S600 just to have the adjustment knob.

The R380 is a good reg. It breathes great, expecially for an unbalanced reg. This is what I use for my backup reg.

You might want to thing about a ScubaPro Mk16 first stage. It is cheaper than the Mk25 and is a great performer. The Mk16 is a balanced diaphram so, I would be better for colder waters, etc.

Good choice on regs, and a pretty good price too.

You can't beat the S600. It just breathes like a champ and has the cool knobs to adjust ease of breathing. I dive with the S600 and the Mk25, with an S380 Octo. I highly reccomend them. I cannot comment on the other regs as I have never used them, as I dove a Sherwood Maximus beforehand.

The only complaint I have about ScubaPro regs is that they tend to pull to the right when diving. This is easily fixed with a longer hose or by attaching a swivel to the hose/2nd stage connection.

That price is outstanding!! If they are new I'd buy that setup. If they are used, be careful, because that will render the lifetime warranty invalid. New ScubaPro gear gives you lifetime free parts. That's a big condieration.

Thanks for the replies so far. To respond to a few of the points made:

--The regs are definitely new. According to the dive shops (actually, two had nearly identical pricing), the MK25/S550 combo was somewhere around $399, while the R380 was around $170. Having been a rental-reg person for a while now, I'm definitely ready to buy something new.

--I've heard one other person recommend the MK16 over the MK25 as well. I dive Monterey (55ish degrees recently) and would likely also travel to warmer water. Is this cold enough that I should strongly consider the MK16 for temperature reasons? ("Cold" seems to mean lots of different things to different divers.)One think I liked about the MK25 was the 2HP/5LP configuration on the first stage...in case I branched out into gear one day that needed more ports than the MK16 offered. Thoughts?

--How necessary is the adjustment knob on the S600? It costs $100 more here ($499 for the S600/MK25). I'm still on the beginner side of things, and none of the rentals I've had so far had anything like an adjustment knob (nor have I really needed one). Does it make a huge difference, or does it fall more into the "nice-to-have" category?

Thanks a bunch for the help so far, and I'll look forward to more replies. It really helps when gear shopping.

rr75 once bubbled...
One think I liked about the MK25 was the 2HP/5LP configuration on the first stage...in case I branched out into gear one day that needed more ports than the MK16 offered. Thoughts?

Either reg has more than enough ports for whatever type of diving you might get into. If you get into diving doubles later on, both will route great. You never need two HP ports anyway.

The hoses on my Mk25s route fine with doubles. My buddy dives two Mk16s and his hoses route just as well.

The Mk16 has 4LP/1HP and the Mk25 has 5LP/2HP. You will not need that extra port. Primary + backup + LP inflator + drysuit inflator = 4 LP ports + 1 HP port for the SPG.

You could get an adjustment knob and also save a few bucks with a G250HP 2nd. Down side is it is a bit larger than the S550. I dive in some strong currents and find the adjustment knob very useful. The S600/G250HP design also includes the "anti set feature" which allows the LP seat to put away from the orifice, thus reducing engraving. This should result in better performance over time or, if you choose, extended periods between service.

The new ScubaPro MK25 AF (=anti-freeze) is supposedly better for cold water diving. ScubaPro ads claim it can be used in 35F water.

I have talked to several diveshops/instructors about "regulator freezing" and all told me not to worry about it unless I was going to dive in water under 47-50F.

Be aware of thermoclines though: if it is 55F near the surface, it may very well be 40F at 100'.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

rr75 once bubbled...
I dive Monterey (55ish degrees recently) and would likely also travel to warmer water. Is this cold enough that I should strongly consider the MK16 for temperature reasons?

Hi rr75, I also dive regularly in Monterey/Carmel. The diving here is indeed called 'cold water diving', but it's much warmer than the 'cold' as in 'cold water regulators'. The cold becomes a factor when the temperature drops into the 30's. (Maybe low 40's in fresh water, I'm not sure.)

In summary, in Monterey, temperature is not a factor in deciding between a diaphragm reg and a piston reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom