ScubaPro Regulator ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 405822 Here is a photo of the internal parts.

The wad/plug of silicone grease on the adjustable knob is unnecessary. It might lead to needless problems. Just lightly grease the O-ring, and after your dives, pressurize your reg and make sure to thoroughly rinse this area with fresh water flowing from a hose. Manipulate the knob as you rinse. Just a suggestion.

Also, no need to put so much silicon grease on the threads of the adjustable knob.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

If not, Vintage Double Hose has the upgrade kit which is ~$40.
I found this site a little while ago and plan on ordering the kit. Thanks.

The wad/plug of silicone grease on the adjustable knob is unnecessary.
I thought that was a little too much. It was like that when I opened it up. When I service it I will take your advice on the grease. Thanks.

I thought that was a little too much. It was like that when I opened it up. When I service it I will take your advice on the grease. Thanks.

The problem with too much grease is, if salt/sand/grit does work its way in (and it will!), the grease will hold this stuff against your metal parts and won't wash away freely. The salt will corrode the metal parts, and the sand/grit will sandpaper the metal parts. At least, that's what I was taught decades ago, and it makes sense to me.

P.S. I still dive the same Scubapro reg (Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable) that I purchased new in 1987. I service all three of my Scubapro regs, myself (though not the D400 2nd stage nor Air 2). You will be very happy with your purchase, I think.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

EDIT: Fixed: Purchased new in 1987 (not 1997).

Last edited:
You don't need an entire upgrade kit, you only need the s-wing poppet, the seat, and the 2 o-rings (011 and 902). You already have the balance chamber and the spring. But, I have found that occasionally those springs wear out a bit and the reg tunes more consistently with a new spring, so you might want to get one.

Looks like a really nice regulator!

The original adjustment knobs were solid, but Scubapro started milling the gap in the middle to lighten it. I'm not sure who decided it was a good idea to fill the space with silicone, but it's not.

All you probably need is a new S-wing poppet for it.

The springs for the Balanced Adjustable and G250 look like the springs in some other Scubapro second stages, but they are not the same. As a single adjustment design with no micro adjust feature, the spring had to fall within very narrow tolerances to allow it to tune properly without excessive lever play or excessive cracking effort. So Scubapro hand selects the springs for those regs and the rejects are what go into other designs with a micro adjust.

The springs for the Balanced Adjustable and G250 look like the springs in some other Scubapro second stages, but they are not the same. As a single adjustment design with no micro adjust feature, the spring had to fall within very narrow tolerances to allow it to tune properly without excessive lever play or excessive cracking effort. So Scubapro hand selects the springs for those regs and the rejects are what go into other designs with a micro adjust.

This is very interesting. The balanced/adjustable, G250, and R190 all use the same part number for the spring, 01-020-216, at least according to the schematics I have. So if you're ordering a spring for say, a R190 or an old 108, how do you make sure you get the hand-selected one?

In general I have found that I can tune my converted 109s a little more consistently with a new spring. I've never tried that with the center balanced poppet regs (I tried to order one of those springs once and was told they were no longer available) but I wonder if that might help the performance in those regs too.

If you want quality springs, buying off the shelf from wholesale suppliers will not get you what you want. Often they subcontract to whomever will produce them the cheapest. Material quality and dimensions can vary a great deal when this happens. This really does not matter much when it comes to rebuilding a faucet or your lawnmower but rarely works for scuba gear. The only way to insure consistent quality is to work directly with a manufacturer who specializes in custom springs made to specifications you provide. At least that's what I've found to be the best avenue to get it done right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom