scubapro s550 mk17 free flow problem (cold water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done over 20 dives in 35°F (2°C) fresh water with my MK17/S600 (Basically an adjustable S550, sold as a set in europe) and have not yet had a single freeflow incident of any kind. I have tried abusing it by breathing at the surface in 19°F (-7°C) before going under. I never use the dive/predive swith, I just leave it on dive and it has never freeflowed when it hits the water.
So I would think that the MK17/S550 in question is faulty or just isn't an MK17/S550, I have heard that the MK25/S550 is unusable in cold water because of freeflow problems, but the MK17(with S550,S600,X650) is probably one of the best coldwater regs. out there.
I have only one thing to complain about, that is that the regulator hose that comes with the S600 is about 10-15cm. too short...

Nonni

Thank you all. My friend is a hard working and honest guy who just doesn't spend time on the computer to venture out and find forums like these that help so much. I'm glad I found something here to help him. We both got into the sport at the same time and it is a scary prospect buying dive gear when you have really no idea what makes something good or bad. I read a lot on these forums and in dive magazines and after a year of learning and diving a lot and getting five certifications I still think we made excellent original purchases. I knew the s550/mk17 was a great reg and he got it at quite a discount with his package so I'm sure we will get it working right. I've shared with him the info I've gotten here and he called scubapro and they are taking it back and running some tests on the reg and calibrating it for him. Hopefully this will work out well. I'm not too afraid for him at this point since he'll only be diving up to 40' since he's doing shore diving on lake superior right now with no penetrations. 20 degree air temps and 35 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit anyone???

Ok so my buddy got his s550 back from scubapro and first dive out it free flowed again. He contacted the dealer he bought it from and said enough is enough and they are taking it back and giving him full credit toward another reg. The dealer tried to talk him into the aqua lung glacia which I hadn't heard of before but is on the aqua lung web site as new so it has probably recently been released. Now that I see the specs it looks good but I dont' know how it is favored in the real world. The dealer also carries apex which I told him I know that many tech divers prefer and have very good results with. My buddy might want to get into tech in the future so I suggested he consider it heavily. I've heard to atx 50 and up are good. What do you guys suggest he get for 33 deg water between this aqua lung and any of the apex line?

I suggest a Mares Abyss or Proton Ice, or Sherwood Blizzard. No more problems with freeflow.

yeah i have 2 mares abyss regs. Never a problem. Not an opt for him up there though for service reasons and trade. Must be aqua lung or apeks.

The Apeks might be OK. Could be a problem with bubbles in the face. I guess that leaves the Legend, the one with heat exchanger fins on the second stage (ACD Supreme). They also have that arctic regulator, the Glacia.

I wuold like to have gotten my hands on his reg to see what the settings were, then dove with him to see what he was doing.

There is no real reason other than fine tuning that tis reg should be having so many problems.

It sounds like MK17 doesn't perform in a cold water as we expected...

hoosier:
It sounds like MK17 doesn't perform in a cold water as we expected...

No way is there enough evidence here to make that statement:no If thats true than whats wrong with Nonni's reg??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom