Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

original282.jpg
looks pretty dorky, especially with you toes out & all:rofl4: maybe it appeals to chicks with painted toes :D

Interesting they are picturing it next to the original Seawing, I wonder how similar they feel, if at all. (I had the old Seawings and they were great fins until they cracked. And that rectangular foot pocket tended to be uncomfortable if you didn't have matching rectangular feet!)

Robotixfan - you still have these? Wondering about weight and length.

I just gave them back to the Scuba Pro sales rep. They are in the middle for weight and for the length, they are average size (Like the Voltex Aqua Lung fin). The Rep told me they are being released in 3 weeks to the public. She said the price is released at $189 but I've already seen it on the internet as low as $99. These were soft yet not too soft to go nowhere fast. Rigid enough to get me moving fast quickly without killing my ankles. You need to wear boots with these and She only had a large size fin, I wear an X-Large. I can say, it was a bit snug but very comfortable for long periods of time. No rectangular feet needed for these.

Last edited:
looks pretty dorky, especially with you toes out & all:rofl4: maybe it appeals to chicks with painted toes :D

I am using these (along with the rest of the class) with boots so NO chick painted nails were used. They are very comfortable but they take twice as many kicks to get moving. I already told the shop owner that I would NOT be purchasing these fins.

Yeah, they are pretty dorky!

Wow, what a bunch of critics! Divers all. One of you is openminded enough to leave the fins as "I will try them".
For the background information that you seek you may try a patent search on Swim Fins. The orginal Sea Wing design is awarded to Lamont/Chopelas and called Hydrodynamic Swim Fin Patent No.4,775,343. It is the first of two patents on these type of fins. It covers the two lateral ribs on the side of the foot, the knotching in such ribs to allow and yet prevent over flexing, allowing the water free access to the blade as opposed to blocking access to in previous fin designs, the small wins on the blade assisting in keeping the blade in line with direction of flow and a number of other features.
A lot of testing went into comparing many different type and styles of fins (yes, even the lack of "force fin"). We tested for speed, efficentcy, and power using various divers and a range of fins even the Point number one is that we all are a little different in our swimming styles. We kept a video record of all of it and all learned a lot. Fastest tested was..........a woman. Yeah Mr Macho types she out swam all of us. Almost all of the long fins tested proved to be superior but they were tough on the ankles in testing. In watching our woman test subject her style was smooth, graceful and had small kick strokes that started at her hips. We watched the video and learned. Emulating her we improved our times and I know that two of us freedivers still practice this style.
I haven't been associated with Scubapro for many years and have no particular love for Johnson. The original Seawings were to be the first of a line and that was in 1988. Many improvements can always be made to any product. I suggest that before you judge you try to keep and open mind about any product. God knows it has been difficult for me to do that for unforceful fins.
For those of us that want a buy back I suggest that you sit through a time share presentation. I just want the best price.
Lamont

Wow, what a bunch of critics! Divers all. One of you is openminded enough to leave the fins as "I will try them".
For those of us that want a buy back I suggest that you sit through a time share presentation. I just want the best price.
Lamont
uh, are we reading the same thread? I see a wide variety of comments. Seems like a pretty balanced thread to me. Especially for around here.

Given the vintage of Gorilla fins I rather suspect the "buy back" comment was meant to be humorous, made by someone who has a sense of humor.

Tell these guys that they look "dorky" in Force Fins: YouTube - Mail Call Episode about PJ's

The open toe is about kicking from the leg, instead of the foot. Its not a fashion statement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom