Scubapro vs. Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own an AL Legend LX ACD. It's a great reg. The SPs are also outstanding from what I've heard. Personally I'll never by either one again due to their current Neanderthalic policies regarding internet advertising and online sales. I'll instead go with a more enlightened brand such as Oceanic, Aeris, Zeagle or Dive Rite for my future regulator purchases.

After owning a dive shop and gaining some insight into how each does business I wouldn't own a product sold by either company.

As a consumer, I wouldn't own either one because, as of last I heard, they are two of the companies that still refuse to sell you rebuild parts.

Hi Mike,
*hijack*
Given your experience what regs would you recommend? I'm curious because I've been making decisions on additional regs lately and the availability of service kits has been a factor.
*/hijack*

Thanks

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Hi Mike,
*hijack*
Given your experience what regs would you recommend? I'm curious because I've been making decisions on additional regs lately and the availability of service kits has been a factor.
*/hijack*
If that's a major concern for you, I'd probably look at Dive Rite. Their regs are pretty well respected, and they'll actually sell service kits directly to consumers, unlike almost any other major manufacturer.

OTOH, if you travel widely, service kits for ScubaPro and AquaLung are more widely available than any other make, so if you have problems in the field, you're far more likely to be able to have it fixed at some podunk dive shop than a Dive Rite (or even many of the bigger brands).

Zeagle also sells parts now from what I hear. I do have one diverite reg and it's been fine too.

If your concerned about things like being able to buy parts, I would run a quick check on the current policies of the manufacturers you're interested in because things are changing all the time.

I actually picked up a Salvo for my 40 cf bottle and have no complaints about it so far. But if I go to doubles in the upcoming year I'll have to decide what to do (I'm using Atomics for backgas and really like them).
:)

MikeFerrara:
After owning a dive shop and gaining some insight into how each does business I wouldn't own a product sold by either company.

As a consumer, I wouldn't own either one because, as of last I heard, they are two of the companies that still refuse to sell you rebuild parts.

I can see your point if you are talking about professionals receiving parts, but do you really want "Joe Diver", who dives 10 to 15 times a year working on his own reg? Take away the liability of the manufacturer, do you really want the liability to fall on you or your dive shop?
I believe it is good business practice to keep service kits out of the hands of the average diver. There would be a rise in dive accidents, and perhaps even a move by the government to regulate our sport. I know this is looking at the dark side, but it could happen.
As far as the original question, I would chose the Scubapro. I've been diving it for years and have had no problems. You also get a great warranty program, with free parts for life.

sandersondiver:
I can see your point if you are talking about professionals receiving parts, but do you really want "Joe Diver", who dives 10 to 15 times a year working on his own reg? Take away the liability of the manufacturer, do you really want the liability to fall on you or your dive shop?
I believe it is good business practice to keep service kits out of the hands of the average diver. There would be a rise in dive accidents, and perhaps even a move by the government to regulate our sport. I know this is looking at the dark side, but it could happen.
As far as the original question, I would chose the Scubapro. I've been diving it for years and have had no problems. You also get a great warranty program, with free parts for life.

Restricting access to repair parts and the "free" parts for life programs (which is not part of the warrenty) are simply ways to make the consumer/diver dependent on local dive shops. Liability issue is BS. An Austin Scubapro dealer who gave me the liability BS lecture a few years ago closed his shop and has been selling Scubapro kits on ebay for over a year (at inflated and misrepresented prices). Easy to see how conserned he really is with the liability issue.

Al has a piece that you put on the base of the reg that adds moisture back as you breathe. I have used both and both are great regs. That is like me saying Ford or Chev is the only truck to but. To each their own. I would make sure you have the warranty with either one so you can get them sericed. SP is harder to service. I service AL, they are pretty easy to work on. GOod Luck

awap:
Restricting access to repair parts and the "free" parts for life programs (which is not part of the warrenty) are simply ways to make the consumer/diver dependent on local dive shops. Liability issue is BS. An Austin Scubapro dealer who gave me the liability BS lecture a few years ago closed his shop and has been selling Scubapro kits on ebay for over a year (at inflated and misrepresented prices). Easy to see how conserned he really is with the liability issue.

Diver dependentcy to local dive shops is what keeps us in business. If we have no one walking through the doors it won't take long before there is no more store. As far as the liability issue goes, I'll stick with the BS if it keeps my shop open, and my insurance premiums down.
Servicing a regulator system is by no means rocket science, however, I believe that training and experience are things that a reg tech should have and use. And I stand by not giving parts out to the general public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom