Seahorse Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeckyN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

This is my first time posting a thread.. hope it's in the right place!

I have just qualified as an OWSI and am also about to start my final year of a Marine Biology degree. I have to pick a dissertation title - and rather than just select one from a list of many that the university provide - I'd like to do something that I'm curious and passionate about... seahorses!

Diving has given me the opportunity to see these beautiful creatures in the wild and I would really like to find out more about them.

I'd like to ask - does anybody have any ideas? Ideas about previous research, things we need to know, things we'd like to know.

I thought it would be a great idea to ask here, as we are the people who get to see beautiful creatures, who come up with ideas about conservation and research and who genuinely want to learn new things.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas.

Becky x

Well, here's a scientist who works on seahorses. Maybe you can pick up some ideas from his website.
JonesLab

Hi

This is my first time posting a thread.. hope it's in the right place!

I have just qualified as an OWSI and am also about to start my final year of a Marine Biology degree. I have to pick a dissertation title - and rather than just select one from a list of many that the university provide - I'd like to do something that I'm curious and passionate about... seahorses!

Diving has given me the opportunity to see these beautiful creatures in the wild and I would really like to find out more about them.

I'd like to ask - does anybody have any ideas? Ideas about previous research, things we need to know, things we'd like to know.

I thought it would be a great idea to ask here, as we are the people who get to see beautiful creatures, who come up with ideas about conservation and research and who genuinely want to learn new things.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas.

Becky x

down here a friend of ours and a VERY nice guy (Dave Harasiti) is currently doing his PHD in the little buggers and Dave is also employed by our Dept of Fisheries for endangered species; The Underwater Photo Gallery - Dave Harasti

if you google "dave harasti seahorse" you will see a number of articles from him and about 2 months ago he was involved in the first breeding program of the critters that he is studying

part of his study is to tag them (to monitor their movement patterns ect) so when you look at his pics, see if you can find tiny coloured spots on them.

he also works with local councils for the protection of them. as they love to live on the swimmers nets he conducts studies to partially clean the nets in sections so they can move to another side until some growth for protection returns. in the old days the councils took off the nets, put them on the sand and drove over them with trucks to get rid of the growth - and killed all the seahorses in the process.

heheheh - daves greatest wish is to discover and name a new species after himself... and one day i reckon he will do it!

cheers and goodluck!

Last edited:
down here a friend of ours and a VERY nice guy (Dave Harasiti) is currently doing his PHD in the little buggers and Dave is also employed by our Dept of Fisheries for endangered species; The Underwater Photo Gallery - Dave Harasti

if you google "dave harasti seahorse" you will see a number of articles from him and about 2 months ago he was involved in the first breeding program of the critters that he is studying

part of his study is to tag them (to monitor their movement patterns ect) so when you look at his pics, see if you can find tiny coloured spots on them.

he also works with local councils for the protection of them. as they love to live on the swimmers nets he conducts studies to partially clean the nets in sections so they can move to another side until some growth for protection returns. in the old days the councils took off the nets, put them on the sand and drove over them with trucks to get rid of the growth - and killed all the seahorses in the process.

heheheh - daves greatest wish is to discover and name a new species after himself... and one day i reckon he will do it!

cheers and goodluck!

Thank you for your reply, Becky x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom