SeaQuest Pro QD i3 evaluation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I broke the top part of the left torso clip (the round rotating one) after very few dives, on the first dive yesterday. Thankfully (a) the DM boat captain lent me his, and (b) the shop have given me a brand new QD+i3 as a warranty replacement.

Be very careful with those clips, they are nowhere near as robust as the 'standard' clips on other BCDs.

I do love the QD+i3 though and very glad I did not have to resort to some shoddy self-repair! :)

Can nobody help with an answer to my question on the previous page!?!

The only problem is I've just found out is that the red BCD knife to go with it is not available in the UK!!

Well I guess its not the end of the world to use a blue or black one but the red does look a lot neater. Any ideas where I can get one sent over at a reasonable price? Or even swap a red for a blue!?!
At least you have the choice of black! Only have blue ones here. It does attach nicely though, as you no doubt know. Comes with everything required.

Hi all. I purchased the ProQD i3 also and have dived about 10 times with it so far. Great BC, no complaints at all. It is quite slim and comfortable. Couple of interesting points.

I also have one of the Morphos Pro BCs from Mares that are designed specifically for travelling. They even come with their own "built in" football shaped bag that once turned inside out miraculously zips over the BC and makes it ready for packing. The i3 comes with none of that fancy-ness but packs flatter, lighter and easier than the Morphos anyway.

The Morphos has the Mares equivilent of the i3, they call it AirTrim. The Mares works ok but the buttons are not as intuitive as the i3 lever (simply lift up to go up, push down to go down) and the dumping of air is significantly slower also than the i3 which if you are playing with your boyancy a bit takes a bit of getting used to. Something I noticed about the Mares Air Trim system is that the dumping of air is not only slower, but quieter. Because you can't hear the air escaping or see the air escaping (in a traditional corrugated hose style you hold it up press the button, look up and watch the air escaping) you tend to over compensate and let too much air out. The i3 is a little easier, you hear the air going and gives some confidence that it is working from the moment you use it. I found it took me a few dives with the Mares before I started trusting it and having hassle free dives.

A note on the Octo-pocket. I think the designers had a great idea. Shame it doesn't really work unless the moon is full, you chant a secret incantation for 2 days before you dive and hold your mouth just right. I have an AquaLung legend Octo and the thing hardly ever stays in the pocket. Shore dives are 50:50. Boat dives, giant stride into the water, rapid exit of the octo from the pocket. Stick it on a clip like everyone else and be happy.

In summary, I love the i3. Super comfortable. I'm diving with a small steel tank, have no weight in the trim pockets and only 5 pound in each front weight pocket. Easy to get on and off without assistance, easy to stablise boyancy from the first dive I stuck it on. Would recomend it to anyone.

Cheers
Pete

Good report, Peediddy.

I'm going crazy as I have'nt had chance to try my new i3 yet & it may be a while.
From what I've heard & read, your spot on about the octopocket. I've been advised to forget about it & use a clip.

Is this a jacket style bc (sides inflate) or back inflate? Thanks!

NVM.

Last edited:
Hi there

It is indeed a jacket style BC. Good all round inflation, I have done about another 60 dives in the BC since my last post and am still very impressed. I use a steel tank but on a couple of boat trips have had Aluminium tanks as well and it is easy to trim, is not bulky under the arms like many jacket BCs. I do a fair bit of photography and have loved the convenience of the i3 for managing boyancy and staying hands on the camera equipment.

I seem to have tamed the Octo-pocket a little better also and now use that all the time. It does seem to work quite well and have octo breathed with a buddy on at least 3 occasions and it is super easy to find and extract the occy from the pocket.

Enjoy
Pete

Nice review. Thanks for the thoughtful notes. I looked seriously at this BCD a few months ago and opted instead for the Balanced. An old design that ets memy every day needs in the water. I was replacing a 15 year old Zeagel. The i3 technology was appealing though i prefered the jacket style that they had for the ladies model (more streamilined) but it only came with pink stitching and there was no way i was going to go on a boat with Pick stitching. The male model is a bit bulky in my view as it hangs pretty low for the i3 lever.

I purchased the i3 and the wife went with the Libra. We couldn't be happier.

They were running a promo when we made the purchase and we both got a free Airsource 3 which I used to replace the OEM oral inflator. It would come in handy if I ever needed the assistance of another diver not familiar with the i3.

I also use a clip for the octo instead of the pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom