Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew that the land got further away on the way to the Barracuda dive site so I just looked at Google Earth and that happens just past the Melia hotel.

What do the ocean currents do at that point? Is it possible that someone on the surface swimming to shore could end up to the northeast of Melia?

I assume that there have been boats scouring near the coastline.

I just looked at their listed fleet/schedules, they have a Cessna 402 which would be appropriate, but is on a scheduled run from CUN to Chetmal in the AM and then returns in the afternoon. There is a theoretical 6-7 hour gap, but given the 2+ hour round trip time, two refueling slots, and general operations overhead, it would leave very little effective operating time offshore. They may need to have a second pilot to swap out as well.

Tropic Air? Any tour operators from Belize?

I seem to recall a recent incident, where a couple of divers were lost in Cozumel, but found relatively quickly. I was hoping this was going to be the same. I'm seriously worried now. :(

I seem to recall a recent incident, where a couple of divers were lost in Cozumel, but found relatively quickly. I was hoping this was going to be the same. I'm seriously worried now. :(
A misplaced diver at one of the more "normal" dive sites south of town would be close to shore and drifting more or less parallel to it in an area where there is lots of boat traffic. If it were I, I would be more worried about getting run over than not being found. This was at a northern site near where the "horn" of Cozumel directs the current away from the island and where there is very little boat traffic compared to what is around the southern half of the island.

Cameron is a very smart, experienced, and resourceful diver. I have no doubt that his ability to survive a lost at sea ordeal is far above average. It is way too early to start considering the worst.

Agree 100%, I just can't help but worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom