Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we believe he’s afloat?

He is young, healthy, very skilled, and diving independent doubles (sidemount). He was capable of making a free ascent from his planned max depth. His risk of a disabling medical event or inability to surface is pretty darn low in my judgement. On the other hand, getting caught in current that he could not detect in time or swim against it is pretty high.

I would be very concerned if he was in a T-shirt instead of a 5mm wetsuit; thankfully not the case. I'm betting that that he is floating, sunburned, kicking himself for putting off that PLB purchase, and heading towards Cuba. Knowing him, he's also upset that he is putting his loved ones through all this. I'm looking forward to his teaching me some of the lessons he is learning.

I just found out the situation , (I was teaching all weekend ) cam and I are well acquainted (he lives north of me and drives by my house when he goes home ) we had many diving conversation of styles we didn't always agree but he was always respectful and witty and open , he loved to learn and I liked him a lot ..he was as some have said here.....a great young man..I think he could survive floating a long time because of his outlook on life .. and positive outlook on life, I think hes going to surprise us all with another "close call amazing story " of survival don't right him off yet , I dug deep and gave also , do the same that's going to make the difference here ......get back alive cam and get that story I want to hear it man

Donated.

Had a few chats with Cameron about his vintage SCUBA gear parts projects, always with his fresh inquisitive mind.
A true gentleman and 'wise beyond his years'... hoping for his safe return to his family and Scubaboard soon.

He is young, healthy, very skilled, and diving independent doubles (sidemount). He was capable of making a free ascent from his planned max depth. His risk of a disabling medical event or inability to surface is pretty darn low in my judgement. On the other hand, getting caught in current that he could not detect in time or swim against it is pretty high.

I would be very concerned if he was in a T-shirt instead of a 5mm wetsuit; thankfully not the case. I'm betting that that he is floating, sunburned, kicking himself for putting off that PLB purchase, and heading towards Cuba. Knowing him, he's also upset that he is putting his loved ones through all this. I'm looking forward to his teaching me some of the lessons he is learning.

I think that's a pretty darn accurate assessment. He and I have very similar philosophies regarding diving, and I can think of very few circumstances where he would be unable to surface. He's a logical, rational problem solver who thinks outside the box and is not prone to panic. I have complete faith in his abilities and I understand how his mind works (most of the time). There are quite simply few issues he would be unable to resolve on the fly. Even with a major equipment issue, he would still be able to return to the surface.

When Cameron is found he will get to be the mod to move this thread to near misses. Hold on my weary friend.

Why do we believe he’s afloat? While I hope that’s the case, the alternative is dire.

Because there is the possibility that he is afloat and is awaiting rescue. Yes, something could have happened during his dive and maybe he drowned Saturday afternoon. My personal greatest fear when diving isn't drowning, it is being lost floating at sea awaiting rescue and not be found. People have survived many days floating in warm waters awaiting rescue and the possibility that he is floating alive somewhere awaiting a rescue the search must continue as long as possible. This could happen to any of us.

Sad to hear, I just left Cozumel Saturday. I did not dive Saturday because it was my fly day but the currents were ripping Friday and the fish were on the reef eating because the current was pushing up food and all the turtles were tucked low behind Coral.

I will pray they find him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom