Searching for the right BP/W for rec purposes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelorue

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tobin,

My name is Mikel, live in Northern Spain (excuse my english). I have over 50 dives and have always rented my BC, reg and back up regs (always BC rec type since it is quite difficult to have the chance to rent a BP/W). I am planning to buy my own and opted for a BP/W configuration. At this moment I fell I´ve read to many threads and the more info I get the more confused. I thing DSS can give me what I want.

-My diving in Spain is mainly in summer (salt water) with a 5 mm wetsuit, 3 mm gloves and 5 mm hood and boots, sometimes (early and late summer) I change the hood for a hooded 2 mm vest. I am 1.80 cm and 85 kg (sorry about the metric, I guess is something like 5´9" and 187 lbs) I wear the scubapro jet fin (plan to get a torch, a small backup light and a SMB in the future). In europe we usually dive with steel (200 bar) and I normally take the 12 l, so I guess that is about 85 cuft?. In terms of weight, I am using 5 kg (11 lbs) but lately I´ve tried a couple of times with a bit less (9.5 lbs) and I am sure with some practice I could easily go with 8.8 lbs).

-When abroad (not as much as I would want), I´ve normally dived with the 5 mm wetsuit (maybe at some point depending on location I will use a 3 mm wetsuit I guess) but I´ve been diving a 5 mm with surf temp of 25-27 ºC and no problems (salt water). No hood or gloves but boots and same other bits. When abroad i have normally been given Aluminium 15 l at 300 bar (need math revision!). In terms of weight, I´ve used betwenn 11-13 lbs.

In terms of further diving skills, I think for some time I will be doing the same kind of diving, maybe some deco with stages (I´ve tried it a couple of times for longer deep dives and like it) but this is it.

Regarding the BP/W configuration, as I would like to get rid of weightbelt (but still want to have some dropable ballast just in case!) and counting on ocasional wearing a 3 mm wetsuit, I was thinking in getting the Kydex medium and adding some weight pockets in the harness and some in the cambands for trim, but maybe the SS plate will do (I guess I would not have huge problems traveling with a SS backaplate in most of my trips) just adding some dropable ballast (weight pockets).

In terms of wing lift, haven´t worked it out but though about a donut shaped 26 or 30lbs. I would prefer a wing that could be bolted to the plate to stay fixed with cam slots so I can pass the cambands through them and through the plate. STA?, dont know, if stable enough and no need of extra weight....if not, then I guess yes.

Well, in term of harness, the hog type seems allright in terms of simplicity, but I would like to add just one shoulder release (DIY?) since it seems it would be easier to put on/off, dificult to say without trying. Regarding the adjustability of the harness when changing the wetsuit, again, I am guessing that 2 mm up/down would not be substantial, woul it?. I am wearing my 5 mm in 80 % of my diving anyway.

One thing for consideration guess it is the height of the tanks, as I said her I normally dive with steel 12 l and these are considerably shorter and wider than Al bottles, so I worry about the distance of the cambands to be able to hold it properly, and the height of the wing (maybe the wing is bigger than the tank).

Another thing for consideration is price and delivery (and service! in the worst case). Shipment cost to europe I guess is quite expensive when adding the custom taxes

I am finding it really dificult to work the system out without having a real look at it. I wish I could just fly to the US, pop in at the shop and try everything out. Could you please at least put up some close up pictures of a similar complete set up.

This ended up being quite long.....sorry!

Thanks for everything

Mikel,

Wow, that's a lot of info, but unfortunately not every thing I'd like to have to make a recommendation. I'd like to know the buoyancy numbers, full and empty for the "12L steel" tank

Here's what I can say based on the info provided.

You need a medium back plate, based on your height.

You need a SS back plate based on the amount of ballast you currently use, both for home and travel. You will still need a little ballast in a belt, maybe 4 lbs.

A few other points:

I prefer a weight belt to having all my ballast on the rig. Keep in mind a 4-6 lbs weight belt is not a big deal. Having all you ballast on the rig can require a large wing than would be needed if you have some of your ballast on your person.

You don't want to leave your wing bolted to your back plate. Dropping your back plate edgewise on your wing, or transporting your wing wrapped around your plate increases the chances of damaging the inner bladder.

Our gear is designed to allow the diver to easily remove the wing from the plate without tools or loose parts in seconds.

We cannot quote freight costs without knowing exactly what you want to order and where it is to be sent.

Tobin

Thanks for the reply,

As for the buoayncy of the 12 l steel tanks, I guess that will slighlty vary from brand to brand, I usually take the tank that I am given.I assume should be around -2.5 kg (-5.5 lbs) when full and 0.2 kg (0.4 lbs ) when empty.

Just to simplify a little:

-I guess 80% of my diving is or will be with 5 wetsuit, gloves, hood, fins, mask, reg, back up reg, gauge, torch, spare light, SMB (12 l steel at 200 bar or 15 l aluminium at 200-300 bar)

-I guess 15% of my diving is or will be with a 7 mm wetsuit and same other gear (12 l steel at 200 bar or 15 l aluminium at 200-300 bar)

*Ideally I would like to carry some dropable weight for safety (just enought to get a slight positive buoyancy) instead of having all the weight on my back. Can you explain how, placing the weight in a weight belt or in a weight pocket (dropable) affect the wing lift capacity needed?

Could you please put up some pictures of someone wearing a complete set up to get an idea of it.

Thanks again

(I forgot a few things, I poste the reply again)
Thanks for the reply,

As for the buoayncy of the 12 l steel tanks, I guess that will slighlty vary from brand to brand, I usually take the tank that I am given.I assume should be around -2.5 kg (-5.5 lbs) when full and 0.2 kg (0.4 lbs ) when empty.

Just to simplify a little:

-I guess 80% of my diving is or will be with 5 wetsuit, gloves, hood, fins, mask, reg, back up reg, gauge, torch, spare light, SMB ( with 12 l steel at 200 bar: aprox 10 lbs of ballast/ with 15 l aluminium at 200-300 bar: aprox 12 lbs of ballast)

-I guess 15% of my diving is or will be with a 7 mm wetsuit and same other gear (with 12 l steel at 200 bar: aprox 14 lbs ballast/with 15 l aluminium at 200-300 bar: aprox 16 lbs ballast)

*Ideally I would like to carry some dropable weight for safety (just enought to get a slight positive buoyancy) instead of having all the weight on my back. Can you explain how, placing the weight in a weight belt or in a weight pocket (dropable) affect the wing lift capacity needed?

Could you please put up some pictures of someone wearing a complete set up to get an idea of it.

Thanks again

Your wing needs to be able to do two things:

1) Float your gear at the surface with a full tank if you ditch it, or want to put your gear on in the water.

2) Be able to compensate for the maximum change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Look at the first requirement. For example if you are using a Medium SS Plate and harness, a tank that's -11 lbs full and a regulator. That totals about 19 lbs. with a full tank, and about 11 lbs with an empty tank. You need a ~20 lbs wing to float your rig. 20 > 19

We will further assume that your exposure suit is 16 lbs positive. That means the same 20 lbs wing you need to float your rig is also large enough to compensate for a fully compressed wwetsuit. If your suit is + 16 and your rig provides only 11 lbs of ballast with an empty tank you will need about 16 - 11 = 5 lbs in a belt.

So far so good. Now instead of using a belt you hang the 5 lbs of lead on your rig. Now your rig is 19 + 5 = 23 lbs negative with a full tank. The 20 lbs wing is no longer enough and you need a larger wing. If you kept the 5 lbs in a belt you would still be positive in just your suit and belt, and a 20 lbs wing would float your rig.

Sorry, I don't have any specific pictures of such. There are of course many photo's of divers using a BP&W, but they may not show the detail you want.

Tobin

Thanks,

Got it, I didn´t think about it that way.

Therefore with the medium SS plate, hog harness, and the 26 torus I could cover my diving (even with 7 mm suit) just varying slighlty the amount of lead in my weighbelt.

How much would the price of that set up be?

Thanks for the info

Thanks,

Got it, I didn´t think about it that way.

Therefore with the medium SS plate, hog harness, and the 26 torus I could cover my diving (even with 7 mm suit) just varying slighlty the amount of lead in my weighbelt.

I would recommend a 26 lbs capacity wing for rigs that are no more than about 22-23 lbs negative, and for exposure suits that are not more than 26 lbs positive at the surface.

I don't know how positive a "7mm" suit might be. Probably not more than about 20-22 lbs., but this is something you will need to determine for your suit.

How much would the price of that set up be?

All of our pricing can be found on our website. Just pick the plate, wing and harness you want on the Rig Configurator. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom