Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a bit of digging around and am now convinced that keeping the plastic zipper fully closed when storing is the way to go on these. I would say it only needs periodic greasing but I bet I will apply a bit before every dive...

I store both zippers closed, too. Some of my friends only close the outer zip.

I'd caution against over-lubing because it can make the zipper seem closed, but back off a bit and then you get a flood. I have a YKK plastic zip on my Santi and I have found less is more. In fact I've only lubed it twice and I have about 125 dives on it (but some of those are 3 dive days where I only opened and closed the zipper once). I lube it when it gets harder to open and close and I'm always very cautious that first dive afterward to make sure it's closed and the zipper pull is tucked up underneath the protective zipper. Even doing that, I had it back off and leak after the last time I lubed it. The only time that's ever happened with my Santi is right after I lubed the zipper.

I did notice the TiZip lube the Seaskin came with is not like the one that came with my Santi (which looks like a chapstick). Maybe the TiZip lube is less likely to cause that problem.

I had a chance to dive my brand new Seaskin last weekend. The cut feels snug, but I was able to fit in with a bz400x and a Santi heated vest. Circumferences are snug, but actually there is enough space even for these undergarments (without the extra allowance) without being too restrictive.
A bit surprisingly, the crotch and inner thigh area is tight and somewhat restricting when doing a full frog kick. This is slighly annoying and doesn't seem to be related to undergarmets. Anyone else with this issue?
Otherwise it is a pleasure to dive a tightly fitting drysuit.
The seaskin talcing tool is fantastic

When I emailed Seaskin to ask they said "It's a YKK." I guess theirs don't have any label on them, and also they for some reason don't provide the YKK zipper lube but use the TiZip one? I didn't get any further explanation than that.

I am quite sure the Seaskin zipper is YKK. I heard the T-bar zipper pull is optional with YKK. All other details are identical to the YKK zipper in my Santi.

I had a chance to dive my brand new Seaskin last weekend. The cut feels snug, but I was able to fit in with a bz400x and a Santi heated vest. Circumferences are snug, but actually there is enough space even for these undergarments (without the extra allowance) without being too restrictive.
A bit surprisingly, the crotch and inner thigh area is tight and somewhat restricting when doing a full frog kick. This is slighly annoying and doesn't seem to be related to undergarmets. Anyone else with this issue?

I don't have that issue. But, I wonder if it's possible that your suit's inseam is just a hair too short.

I have ordered quite a few custom made to measure motorcycle riding suits over the years. I have learned that it is very easy to measure an inseam and come up short, so to speak, if you're not very careful. For a variety of reasons. Regardless, if the inseam is too short, it will bind up on maneuvers that require mobility in the thigh/torso junction.

You really have to be measured by someone who is not shy about really sticking that tape measure all the way up firmly into your crotch. And you cannot be wearing pants that restrict that and result in a too-short measurement.

I was unfortunately not be able to dive it yet, but just standing up the crotch is definitely tight. It did not bother me when doing some acrobatics, so will need to wait for my first dive in it.

Up until reading this, I thought it was fine since the crotch strap is pulling that area tight anyway.

I had the inseam measured by a tailor, so it would be frustrating if the frog kick is a problem, I use it 95% of the time.

will find out soon...

You really have to be measured by someone who is not shy about really sticking that tape measure all the way up firmly into your crotch. And you cannot be wearing pants that restrict that and result in a too-short measurement.

Short inseam is entirely possible. I did the measurements according to Seaskin instructions, and their "inside leg" measurement is crotch to floor instead of typical inseam. The way they instruct measuring should be quite reproducible (I didn't wear jeans). I know people who have had the same issue with seaskins and frog kicks, but that was many years ago.
Tailors are virtually nonexistent where I live and consulting one would definitely be prohibitively expensive for ordering a budged drysuit.

Tailors are virtually nonexistent where I live and consulting one would definitely be prohibitively expensive for ordering a budged drysuit.

You don't need to go all Savile Row on this, many alterations/drycleaners will measure you properly for a few bucks. I'd go to two different ones to compare.

I had my last g/f take my measurements for my Seaskin suit. She knows absolutely nothing about sewing, alterations, etc.. We just followed the instructions carefully.

I helped a friend and fellow SB'er with measurements for his soon-to-be-ordered Seaskin last week. One thing that kind of stood out this time that didn't really stand out to me before is that the instructions really seem to be expecting you to take the measurements while wearing "trousers" (as the instructions say). I did mine wearing boxers and a rash guard. Maybe if I had worn trousers while being measured, the legs on my suit wouldn't feel quite so snug (with the 250-gram undergarment on).

When you pull the tape to take the measurement you will find that there is quite a bit of variation in what you read based on how snug you pull the tape. How snug do you want the suit? If you pull the tape snug and then expect the suit to be loose, you may be operating under a false assumption about what they do with your measurements. I'm sure they add some but......

Hi guys, read the whole thread and im for sure buying a Seaskin. Im sure on what im getting so no issues there;
One question concerning ordering. I want to use the suit for diving in germany (sometimes diving in frozen lakes often in winter 4C) im planning on using the k2 extreme by scubapro but im probably getting the 250g by seaskin as well but i also want to take it to the red sea for diving where ill probably wear shorts and a t shirt under the suit.
So heres my problem: besides diving im an athlete (i row at a high university level) due to an injury and then the following off season i gained a fair bit of weight. I now weigh about 105kg at 192cm usually im at 95kg roughly. Hearing that the suits are cut fairly tight im wondering if I should wait a couple of weeks until i lost my weight and im back to or almost back to normal an then order or use my current measurements as "extra allowance" :D. My problem is that weight fluctuations are normal for me and i want a suit thats i can always dive- thats not too tight or too baggy and that i can dive with "winter undergarment" and tshirt. I know thats a lot im asking but the k2 extreme is fairly slim since its not the usual wooly type of undergarment.

hope you guys have ideas on what i should do :)

(i was thinking of asking seaskin if i can order now and then send in the measurements when my drysuit is in line to be made - im guessing with a wait time of 8-9 weeks the wont start working on the suit right away as soon as they get my measurements)

best regards,
Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom