Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready to place my order, wanted to post it for critique.

Seaskin Nova with:
Plastic YKK zip, dry zip cover, Quick Neck, simple warm neck, DIR dump, comfort patch, neoprene socks, kevlar knee pads, PU elbow pads, PU shoulder pads, telescopic torso, no logos, no reflective tape, bag upgrade, large zipped pockets, computer straps, 150 gram undersuit, warm neck hood.

No pee valve; when I get to the point it becomes worth using I can add it.
150 gram suit aimed at 40F diving because layering is the solution to all things.

Two questions for the thread: first, does anyone have photos of the blue suit with red arms, and second, did anyone get the Sitech dump valve instead of the Apeks?

Thanks for any input, and to @stuartv for introducing me to Seaskin through this thread.
I have been following this thread and considering my first dry suit, so while I don't have anything of value to add to your configuration, do you mind if I ask what the cost came out to be?

I have been following this thread and considering my first dry suit, so while I don't have anything of value to add to your configuration, do you mind if I ask what the cost came out to be?
I have not ordered it yet so I don't know for sure, but I am expecting around $1200 or so. I'll post the final cost once I order. The kubi system bumps it up considerably, but I have seen too many problems with the Sitech cuff systems to want them on my suit. YMMV.

Seaskin Nova with:
Plastic YKK zip, dry zip cover, Quick Neck, simple warm neck, DIR dump, comfort patch, neoprene socks, kevlar knee pads, PU elbow pads, PU shoulder pads, telescopic torso, no logos, no reflective tape, bag upgrade, large zipped pockets, computer straps, 150 gram undersuit, warm neck hood.

150 gram suit aimed at 40F diving because layering is the solution to all things.

Two questions for the thread: first, does anyone have photos of the blue suit with red arms, and second, did anyone get the Sitech dump valve instead of the Apeks?

Thanks for any input, and to @stuartv for introducing me to Seaskin through this thread.

Just a little bit of feedback. I didn't get the comfort patch on mine but I can't feel where the air comes in at all. Maybe it'll be an issue if I take it to warmer water but with the undersuit on, I doubt it'll make any difference for you. I also didn't get elbow pads (how much friction is there on the elbows?) but did get a crotch pad because I use a BP/W and it seems like there might be some wear there. For pockets, I got the large velcro ones and I appreciate not having to work a zipper to get to my stuff. As for the undersuit, I would think about getting the 250g instead of the 150g. I just got mine and haven't had a chance to use it during the cold months but even now with water in the 60s, I'm glad I have the thicker undergarment. If temps dropped 20 degrees, I wouldn't be happy in a 150g but a lot of that depends on your cold tolerance. Also, I recommend the pee valve. Condom catheters are cheap and if you need to go in a drysuit, there's no other way except to end your dive.

Enjoy!

I have a Sitech dump on my Santi suit and I like it. If you get rolled in the surf and get sand in it, it will leak, but it's easy to take apart yourself and service. With all the trouble I had with my Apeks low profile on my Seaskin, I'd definitely avoid that one. The Apeks high profile has a small diameter and really isn't all that high profile TBH. And it doesn't leak. I think either of those is a solid choice (Sitech or Apeks high profile). I haven't used a Sitech inflation valve, but I also haven't heard anything bad about it.

I asked for them not to put the word KEVLAR on my knee pads. They said they would leave it off but they put it anyway (it's stitched in). I think it looks lame and a couple of friends have successfully gotten them to leave it off.

I know Stuart loves those zippered pockets but I'd never get a pocket with a zipper. Especially if you dive anywhere sandy (which he generally does not). I have the giant, Expedition pockets and I love them. "My pockets hold too much stuff," said no one ever.

I am certainly interested to see a blue suit with red arms. Not for me but it's nice to have so many choices. :)

Are you getting your name and a flag patch on the suit? I really like that feature. I think it makes strangers on boats more likely to say hello. You can get any flag you want. I got the flag of Planet Earth on my drysuit and the CA state flag on my undergarment. And on my drysuit bag.

I have a Sitech dump on my Santi suit and I like it. If you get rolled in the surf and get sand in it, it will leak, but it's easy to take apart yourself and service. With all the trouble I had with my Apeks low profile on my Seaskin, I'd definitely avoid that one. The Apeks high profile has a small diameter and really isn't all that high profile TBH. And it doesn't leak. I think either of those is a solid choice (Sitech or Apeks high profile). I haven't used a Sitech inflation valve, but I also haven't heard anything bad about it.

I asked for them not to put the word KEVLAR on my knee pads. They said they would leave it off but they put it anyway (it's stitched in). I think it looks lame and a couple of friends have successfully gotten them to leave it off.

I know Stuart loves those zippered pockets but I'd never get a pocket with a zipper. Especially if you dive anywhere sandy (which he generally does not). I have the giant, Expedition pockets and I love them. "My pockets hold too much stuff," said no one ever.

I am certainly interested to see a blue suit with red arms. Not for me but it's nice to have so many choices. :)

Are you getting your name and a flag patch on the suit? I really like that feature. I think it makes strangers on boats more likely to say hello. You can get any flag you want. I got the flag of Planet Earth on my drysuit and the CA state flag on my undergarment. And on my drysuit bag.
Thanks laikabear. If Sitech is easier to self-service, then I am all over it. Good tip on the knee pads; I was going to ask them if the name could be left out. Glad it can be. Yes to vanity plates, just didn't mention them. And I hate dealing with velcro flaps; I always wonder if they really sealed and they always want to get in the way when I grab something out of them. It's not DIR, but I just like zippers better. If they would ever jam, though, yeah, that would be bad. Fortunately I dive in muck, not sand.:D

And I am tired of everything being black. I have a bag of gear, and I can barely tell what's in it because EVERYTHING IS THE EXACT SAME COLOR! I have been adding color bit by bit, and I am a little scared to nuts on it with the drysuit, but I don't want more black in my bag if there is a tasteful alternative. Unfortunately, I suspect I will be the guinea pig here...

I've got the si-tech inflator and dump. I never used the apeks low profile, but the si-tech works well and I haven't had any issues. I went with it because of the recommendations here.

If you aren't doing long dives or don't plan to (less than one hour?) getting the convenience zip is an option. I have it on my ultra, and I use it often. But we never do dives more than about 50 minutes here, with no overhead, so I've never been in a situation which would warrant a pee-valve. They're more expensive to add later, but not prohibitively so.

Also, if you're going with the nova and you're planning to dive cold, get the 250 g undersuit, not 150 g. Seaskin recommends the 150g for the ultra as a wintertime undersuit, and for the nova as a summertime undersuit. I guess in the winter it won't be sufficient.

I would recommend getting a trilobyte added to your non-computer arm. It's a nice feature.

I also didn't get elbow pads
Elbow pads are nice feature... and shoulder pads are no value, imo. As I had pin holes on elbow, but no signs of any wear on shoulders without shoulder pads.

The best pockets I had was on my Ursuit Kevlar - really roomy and very comfortable. Even Expedition pockets are felt small for me. So I wouldn't even consider all other types of Nova pockets))

As to valves, they got similar mushroom valve construction. And thus prone to leak in opened position equally, imo.
I own both - Si-Tech and Apeks. And see no difference in them to pay extra for Si-Tech.
Si-Tech exhaust valve can be opened up for service in 5 seconds faster, but no any single problem to disassemble and service Apeks as well. Moreover Apeks has better exhaust dump rate.
DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International
Unfortunately video is unavailable now, but Apeks was the winner.
From the other hand Sitech can be modified if you find it annoying leaky

Seaskin Nova with:

My thoughts:

- My pre-Seaskin suits had Si Tech valves, so I got Si Tech on both my Seaskin suits. The discussion on their page about different nipples on the inflators made me think "I just want my new suit to work with the same inflator hose that my old suit works with." Maybe I could have ordered Apeks with the same nipple that my Si Tech already had. I don't know.

- Also, having a Si Tech inflator meant that when I swapped to a Si Tech Vega inflator valve (to get electricity to the inside of my suit), it was a direct swap. I have an impression that the Apeks inflator may use a different size hole in the suit. I'm not sure about that, though. I just knew that getting Si Tech valves would ensure my future compatibility.

- I have not had any leaking from my Si Tech valves.

- On my zippered pockets, I have some of my thickest bungee cord that I put through one zipper pull and tied in an overhand knot. It makes a big enough ball that it is easy to find/grab even with gloves on. Pulling on that has always opened/closed the pocket easily. I get the concern about sand. I'm curious if it is something that would come into play at any time except for when you are trying to zip the pocket closed. I.e. if you're not doing anything with the zipper, will sand get into it somehow and make it not work right later? If you're opening it in a cloud of sand, will the sand make it hard to open? I can see how if you are trying to zip it closed in a cloud of sand, that could possibly cause the zipper to not want to shut. All that said, the zipper teeth are pretty big. I wonder how much of an actual problem it is. I certainly haven't ever had any issues with mine. But, as @laikabear noted, I don't generally do shore dives in the ocean. Usually, I'm off a boat. Or a shore dive at the local lake.

- I will say that, while I would get the zippered pockets again, I have on occasion wished they were just a little larger. My 6' DAN SMB plus my Manta CR-2 soft-handled reel just BARELY fit into one pocket.

- I would consider getting the Trilobyte pocket sewn onto one forearm - whichever one you do not normally wear a computer on.

- I have all their undies - the 150 suit, the 250 suit, and the 150 sleeveless shortie oversuit. I have never worn the sleeveless oversuit. I wore the 250 when I did 5 dives over 2 days in Lake Erie last year (Sep, '19). I was in my Nova (trilam). Bottom temps were low 40s. Depths were 94 to 147. I wore the 250 the first day (3 dives) and felt very warm. So warm that on the second day, I switched to the 150. I felt fine in the 150. That is definitely down to personal cold tolerance. But, I agree with you on getting a 150 and adding a layer to that, if you do something where it is not warm enough by itself. I highly recommend adding a heated layer if/when your budget permits. :)

- Yes, you can add a pee valve later. But, it is fairly cheap and easy to add when you order the suit. Then, it's there and you can start using it whenever you are ready. I didn't use the pee valve in my Nova for the first time until several months after I had the suit. OTOH, a buddy recently bought a pee valve to install in his drysuit. It took him several months just to get around to getting it ordered and then receive it. Then he had it in his possession for probably 2 months before he finally got himself and the tools all together to finally install it. THEN he went through at least 2 days of anxiety over whether he was putting it in the right spot before he finally just bit the bullet and cut the hole. LOL

- I would not get the Warm Neck hood. I have only ever had hoods like Seaskin's "Short Neck" hood. I hate having that long skirt on a hood. Tucking it into the Simple Warm Neck may work. Or it may require some trimming. I'm not sure. Either way, I predict it to be a pain in the ass. The short neck hood still comes down far enough to overlap your neck seal. If you want extra insulation for your neck, I would suggest getting a Waterproof Replaceable Neoprene neck seal for the suit. I don't think you can get that from Seaskin, but you can get it from Dive Right in Scuba.

Neoprene Neckseal

Not cheap, but totally worth it, to me. I put one on my Nova and love it. With the short neck hood and the neo neck seal, you'll have 2 to 3 layers of neoprene insulating a good bit of your neck.

- I would (did) add the Wide Braces option.

- Your list doesn't mention dry gloves, but a later post says you're going for Kubi. Excellent choice.

- My Nova has the Kevlar knee pads with the yellow stitching. Thanks to a tip from laikabear, when I ordered my Ultra I was successful in getting it with Kevlar knee pads with no stitching. I definitely like having the knee pads. I'm not a GUE diver, so I do touch the bottom with my knees every now and then. :wink: And they make it more comfortable to kneel down on a boat deck when needed.

Good luck with it! :D

Sitech cuff system: never had an issue on this or my precious suit.

Expedition pockets: totally agree with the previous poster. Do NOT get zippered pockets if you beachdive in Cali. The Velcro patch on the expedition pockets is generous and works even if in sand. No worries.

I much prefer zippered pockets and by putting a long pull on one zipper it’s so much easier to use than Velcro, at least for me and I mostly shore dive in sand.

Simple warm neck is good but the one with the Velcro is easier to tuck the hood into, I use a 10mm waterproof hood which has no skirt but does come down to the base of the neck, I didn’t get the warm neck on my neoprene suit but have just put on the neoprene neck seal and am waiting to try it.

It really pays to put the pee valve in when the build the suit, you don’t have to use it but it will be there when you do (preplanning required)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom