Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure. Other than the bottom of the bellows I think lays flat and not a full boxy opening. I know a lot of folks here went with expedition. I like zippers over velcro so I was stuck with this size.
How important do you think the Kubi covers are on the arms? I didn't get them on mine and it "seems" ok if you don't bang them around but now I'm wondering if my orings will get dinged up sooner than later.

How important do you think the Kubi covers are on the arms? I didn't get them on mine and it "seems" ok if you don't bang them around but now I'm wondering if my orings will get dinged up sooner than later.
I'm not overly nice to mine so they get used lol. Once I remove my gloves I pull the covers back over. When I get out of the suit my sleeves flop and hit the ground so I'm sure they're getting saved a bit of scuffing. In water I'm a bit handsy with things so it is just one more added layer of protection/piece of mind.

I'm not overly nice to mine so they get used lol. Once I remove my gloves I pull the covers back over. When I get out of the suit my sleeves flop and hit the ground so I'm sure they're getting saved a bit of scuffing. In water I'm a bit handsy with things so it is just one more added layer of protection/piece of mind.
Are they annoying to use/get in the way during donning/doffing?

Are they annoying to use/get in the way during donning/doffing?
The first time or two pulling them over the rings with gloves on can be a challenge. My left side has my Perdix right at the edge of where the cover rolls back. I tend to roll that one over with a free right hand and then put my right glove on. It's just like finding and clipping your crotch strap, you find a way that works and it gets easier.

I don't think it's an issue at all. The Kubi rings that are on the sleeve have the mating surface on the inside. So, they are pretty unlikely to ever get damaged. Banging the rings around that are mounted to the gloves is where there are exposed O-rings that could get damaged.

I just put in my order this week, I hope it works out. ETA is early February 2024.

Some of the measurements were a bit finicky, and I ended up selecting the "extra allowance" option since I intend to wear it with the BZ400X underwear. I want an easy time doing valve drills in it, even if it ends up slightly bulky.

Specs:
- Colour: All Yellow; Thread Colour: Black
- Fully Telescopic Torso
- Allowance for extra thick undersuits
- Main Body Dry Zip Cover
- YKK Plastic Dry Zip fitted into membrane drysuit
- Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve
- Warm Neck Simple
- Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff System
- Move Dump (DIR)
- Compressed Neoprene Socks
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- PU Crutch Reinforcement
- Increase Braces width to 40mm
- NO Logos on Suit, NO Reflective Tape on Arms
- Expedition Pockets

I already have Kubi glove side rings and Evo4 boots to go with it.

The goal for the Seaskin is to replace my 2019 Aqualung Alaskan as my regular drysuit. The Alaskan was my first drysuit on the recommendation of an LDS and a complete piece of crap. It's badly leaking in under 80 dives and I'm not going to bother fixing it. I already spent hundreds of dollars on replacing the terrible boots that failed the first season, adding Kubi gloves, and p-valve. Pretty sure the metal zipper is going too, plastic only from now on.

I'm currently using a 2020 Santi E.Lite+ MTM which is wonderfully made but I try to baby it and I hate taking the Flexsole boots on rough terrain for shore entries. Comparing today's prices with what I paid in January 2020 they are now over 40% more expensive so a hard pill to swallow.

I will report back in a few months once I have the Seaskin. I figured it's a gamble, but for the price it's worth a shot. I'll include a comparison with the relevant Santi features (fabric, pockets, valve placement, and so on).

I just put in my order this week, I hope it works out. ETA is early February 2024.

Some of the measurements were a bit finicky, and I ended up selecting the "extra allowance" option since I intend to wear it with the BZ400X underwear. I want an easy time doing valve drills in it, even if it ends up slightly bulky.

Specs:
- Fully Telescopic Torso
- Warm Neck Simple
- Move Dump (DIR)
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- Expedition Pockets

The goal for the Seaskin is to replace my 2019 Aqualung Alaskan as my regular drysuit. The Alaskan was my first drysuit on the recommendation of an LDS and a complete piece of crap. It's badly leaking in under 80 dives and I'm not going to bother fixing it. I already spent hundreds of dollars on replacing the terrible boots that failed the first season, adding Kubi gloves, and p-valve. Pretty sure the metal zipper is going too, plastic only from now on.

I'm currently using a 2020 Santi E.Lite+ MTM which is wonderfully made but I try to baby it and I hate taking the Flexsole boots on rough terrain for shore entries. Comparing today's prices with what I paid in January 2020 they are now over 40% more expensive so a hard pill to swallow.

I will report back in a few months once I have the Seaskin. I figured it's a gamble, but for the price it's worth a shot. I'll include a comparison with the relevant Santi features (fabric, pockets, valve placement, and so on).
I look forward to your comparison.

Specs:
- Fully Telescopic Torso
- Warm Neck Simple
- Move Dump (DIR)
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- Expedition Pockets

I see some photos on the website that feature all yellow with black trim (arms). Wonder if they would do that?
Also, they require a shoe size and a foot length. Is that to confirm the shoe size or what?
It’s humbling to have your wife help you measure for the suit. It just confirms in a graphic way that I’m not “trim”, but probably “buoyant”.

I see some photos on the website that feature all yellow with black trim (arms). Wonder if they would do that?
You can opt for a 2 colour scheme like that or a single solid colour. I opted for all yellow, including arms. There will still be black elements (warm neck, pockets, knee pads, cuffs, zipper cover, socks).

Also, they require a shoe size and a foot length. Is that to confirm the shoe size or what?
Yep, their older measurement form doesn't have the foot length, the current one does. They explain somewhere on the website too many mistakes translating US/UK/EU shoe sizes were happening.

It’s humbling to have your wife help you measure for the suit. It just confirms in a graphic way that I’m not “trim”, but probably “buoyant”.
I hear you. Comparing my 2019 measurements for the Santi with last week's for the Seaskin I've definitely added a few cm here and there. I chalk it up to the covid years and being a new dad.

Thanks everyone who posted on this thread over the past 3 years and for your replies to my "help me" post several weeks ago. All of your comments helped me a lot and I hope I avoided any significant mistakes that might have been made if I'd done this on my own. I just ordered:

Nova drysuit, Black and Royal Blue
-Telescopic torso
-Main body dry zip cover, color same as arms
-YKK plastic dry zip
-SiTech Trigon pee valve (sorry berndo)
-Pee valve hose tidy
-Quick neck system with Silflex seal (I've ordered the Waterproof neoprene neck seal to use with this)
-Kubi fitted dry cuff system (sorry @rob.mwpropane )
-DIR dump valve position
-Inflation valve comfort patch
-Compressed neoprene socks
-Kevlar knee pads
-40mm width braces
-No logos on suit, no reflective tape on arms, no Kevlar on knee pads
-Large bellows pockets on outside thigh seams
-Computer straps on right forearm
-Spare neck and wrist seals.

I'll post pictures when it arrives (hopefully sometime early February).

Back
Top Bottom