Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the Nova comes with a stick of beeswax. Is there a better lube I should try? Looks like AquaSeal makes a YKK lubricant.

Also, I see no way to get the on/off valve from Trigon stuffed into the pee valve tubing other than a bit of heat to soften the tube. Thoughts?
Lip balm.
It is a tight fit, but with perseverance it will get done. Although, I would recomend quick connect dry valve.

I’m 5’10” 180 lb. A L is usually a snug but comfortable fit for me. But this size L is uncomfortably tight. I would size up.
It should be snug, not loose like a t-shirt. This is to provide a barrier between you and the undergarment that moves with you and wicks sweat away from your skin.
Also, I see no way to get the on/off valve from Trigon stuffed into the pee valve tubing other than a bit of heat to soften the tube. Thoughts?
That valve is trash. There are a few options here from McMaster

So the Nova comes with a stick of beeswax. Is there a better lube I should try? Looks like AquaSeal makes a YKK lubricant.
Chap stick is better than that hard stick crap. There is a softer chapstick style wax sold as a 2 pack. I bought it from my LDS and it's marketed as drysuit zipper lube. I'll get a pick of it when I go to my truck this afternoon.

QUESTION ON CONVENIENCE ZIPPER: I've been debating getting a convenience zip. I go through periods where things are just unpredictable for me, and I need relief IMMEDIATELY. But if the front zip provides access without having to wrestle out of the suit it's probably not necessary. Is there easy enough access with just the front zip on the trilam?

It would not be possible to pee out the front zipper with your arms still in the suit; you'd need to get out the suit to halfway.
In general, prevailing wisdom is against a convenience zip. It's just one more thing to fail and an expensive one at that. But in your situation, if you have an issue where you NEED to go, you might get more value out of it than most.

QUESTION ON CONVENIENCE ZIPPER: I've been debating getting a convenience zip. I go through periods where things are just unpredictable for me, and I need relief IMMEDIATELY. But if the front zip provides access without having to wrestle out of the suit it's probably not necessary. Is there easy enough access with just the front zip on the trilam?
It would be cheaper to just put on a p valve whenever you put the suit on vs having to fix / pay for labor for the convenience zip. You'll want to make the catheter just a part of every dive. I honestly can't stand diving without it. It takes me all of a minute to do it if that. Maybe 2
KY?:) Jk.. I use silicone, like dielectric grease. Pic at bottom. I also use that on the ring seals and on all my flashlight o rings.
McMaster Carr has much better ones. Still might have to warm the hose up, I might have used boiling water can't remember. They've been linked out here a few times.

edit:

Get more males. I ordered I think 2 female and 5 males. I have 3 males left after 3 years.
But in your situation, if you have an issue where you NEED to go, you might get more value out of it than most.
I can't think of any form of diving where that zipper makes sense

1708448435988.png

I’m 5’10” 180 lb. A L is usually a snug but comfortable fit for me. But this size L is uncomfortably tight. I would size up.
Edit: TBH, I’d just cancel the base layers and get something better.

When I ordered my Seaskin Tech Base layer garments, I referred to their size chart. It had me ordering bigger than I normally wear, but did what it said and was glad I did.

@Boarderguy I followed you suggestion and have the SS hood stretched over my HP100. Thanks for the idea. Only problem is the tank now looks like a snowman without arms.

Stick of beeswax is for a metal zipper.

If you got a plastic zipper, they should have sent you a tube of zipper lube. It's like an ointment.

My first time or two, I put a dab of zipper lube every 10 cm along the zipper, not just at the dock/ends. It made a huge difference in how easy the zipper was to work.

Any idea of the turnaround time for just ordering spare seals from sealskin vs waiting on a suit? Placed an order for extra seals yesterday for spares, and I am just curious on a rough time estimate.

Got my suit in the mail, overall mixed success.

My number one conclusion is be very careful with the "Allowance for extra thick undersuits" option. I regret selecting it as it made the upper body and arms huge. Attached picture is with me wearing a 400g Thinsulate undersuit. It may be a more useful option if you're a really big person, but I have a slight build despite being tall.

seaskin.jpg

Otherwise the suit was made exactly to specs. Trilam seems cheaper/thinner than my Santi. The pockets are nice and roomy but the inner pocket has no way to drain and cheaper/thinner bungees than my Santi. The zipper placement is a bit odd, it does not go nearly as far to my right hip as the Santi does, but seems useable and does not hinder donning the suit.

It will be a few months before I dive it, I'm sure it'll work but I'm a bit disappointed in making the sizing mistake, oh well, live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom