Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my first “dive” in my Seaskin today, although it was far from whatever I imagined. The local municipal water service owns a spring up the canyon from where I live and they needed two divers to fix an outlet gate. Me and my dive buddy are now the only two divers with dry suits in town. I wore my 150g under suit in 40 degree water for two 30 min dives. It was cool watching the sand “boil’” at the bottom of the spring as the water entered. Owing to the short duration of each dive, I was chilly, but not cold.

About the suit: I managed to tear a wrist seal on my very first dive. Luckily, I had the Rolocks so no big deal. The neck seal was a bit too tight. I’ll go again before I decide to trim it. Even though I siliconed the mating surfaces of the Rolocks, they were tight and I needed help getting them locked in. That’s probably my stiff fingers and bad technique. It will get better. Good news is that I stayed perfectly dry and I’m stoked for more!

About the suit: I managed to tear a wrist seal on my very first dive. Luckily, I had the Rolocks so no big deal. The neck seal was a bit too tight. I’ll go again before I decide to trim it. Even though I siliconed the mating surfaces of the Rolocks, they were tight and I needed help getting them locked in. That’s probably my stiff fingers and bad technique. It will get better. Good news is that I stayed perfectly dry and I’m stoked for more!
Seaskin didn't notify me of their out of stock situation for the Rolock 90 kit until the day they shipped the suit. Found and ordered the kit at DGX, albeit a little over $200 :/ Should be here by Monday and then install. I've been diving a loaner suit lately with Ultimas installed. Initially they were impossible to take off without the plastic tire lever accessory thing to pry them from the suit... the owner hadn't greased them - ever. A tiny amount of silicone grease solved that quickly and I can now pry off the Ultimas without the tool. Hoping the Rolock perform as expected.

Seaskin didn't notify me of their out of stock situation for the Rolock 90 kit until the day they shipped the suit. Found and ordered the kit at DGX, albeit a little over $200 :/ Should be here by Monday and then install. I've been diving a loaner suit lately with Ultimas installed. Initially they were impossible to take off without the plastic tire lever accessory thing to pry them from the suit... the owner hadn't greased them - ever. A tiny amount of silicone grease solved that quickly and I can now pry off the Ultimas without the tool. Hoping the Rolock perform as expected.
My experience with the Rolocks was exactly as you describe. If you read back a bit in this thread, they haven’t had them in stock at least since Q3 of 2023. I wish they would update the status. Ultimately, the dry suit is the most important thing and they seem to be nailing that one.

This Rolock situation is why I like QCS rings. If Rolock goes down I have options. With Kubi, if SHTF, you're SOOL.
You have the same options with 3D printing a glove side and it's even simpler. Print a round ring, no flex or perfect oval needed.

My experience with the Rolocks was exactly as you describe. If you read back a bit in this thread, they haven’t had them in stock at least since Q3 of 2023. I wish they would update the status. Ultimately, the dry suit is the most important thing and they seem to be nailing that one.
The suit seems very good, but I really really hate their diagonal cut toe pocket in the neoprene sock option. The length of the sock, at the longest - big toe end is perfect, but my next 2 toes are quite crammed because of the stupid wedge cut. A simple straight box cut would have worked much better for me... unfortunately was not aware of their odd design and so did not request a modification.

The suit seems very good, but I really really hate their diagonal cut toe pocket in the neoprene sock option. The length of the sock, at the longest - big toe end is perfect, but my next 2 toes are quite crammed because of the stupid wedge cut. A simple straight box cut would have worked much better for me... unfortunately was not aware of their odd design and so did not request a modification.
Yes, I thought the angle of the cut was a bit severe, but on my first dive wearing sneakers, it felt fine.

Is this something anyone else has had issues with? I just placed my order so I’d like to know if I might need to have them modify it.

Is this something anyone else has had issues with? I just placed my order so I’d like to know if I might need to have them modify it.
Something I noticed but not an issue. I have wide feet and it works.

Did my first “dive” in my Seaskin today, although it was far from whatever I imagined. The local municipal water service owns a spring up the canyon from where I live and they needed two divers to fix an outlet gate. Me and my dive buddy are now the only two divers with dry suits in town. I wore my 150g under suit in 40 degree water for two 30 min dives. It was cool watching the sand “boil’” at the bottom of the spring as the water entered. Owing to the short duration of each dive, I was chilly, but not cold.

For me and others the 90's had a break in period. It does get better. I thought I was doing something wrong but they loosen up a bit.

You can always cut the seals back and feel the warmth:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom