Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DFid you ever contact SS about it or just fix it as it comes? After the 2nd leak I'd be tempted to pull that seam off and reseal it.
Just don't want to forward the drysuit back and forth as can apply patch for less than 20 min - so fix as it comes.
The seam by itself is not the problem. The problem is the abrasion of the fabric on the edges of the seam's tape as well as the poor stitching which jammed the fabric (it is seen on the photos).
I think that if the tapes were overlapped, the abrasion might be avoided.

Just don't want to forward the drysuit back and forth as can apply patch for less than 20 min - so fix as it comes.
The seal by itself is not the problem. The problem is the abrasion of the fabric on the edges of the seal as well as the poor stitching which jammed the fabric (it is seen on the photos).
I think that if the seals were overlapped, the abrasion might be avoided.
I don't think I would mess with sending it back either... too much down time.

I was thinking if they overlapped it would be ok too. I believe in my suit they do overlap. That's the bad part about getting anything like this done anywhere. Any company is only as strong as their weakest link. Was it the new guy? A Monday after a hard weekend? Idk.. maybe just a fluke.

I don't think I would mess with sending it back either... too much down time.

I was thinking if they overlapped it would be ok too. I believe in my suit they do overlap. That's the bad part about getting anything like this done anywhere. Any company is only as strong as their weakest link. Was it the new guy? A Monday after a hard weekend? Idk.. maybe just a fluke.
There's a guy around here who has sent his back to SS twice for repair. Apparently most of his seams leaked and he wishes he'd spent money on an LDS supported brand. I know 10+ SS divers up here personally and we all abuse them to one extent or another without issue. I wouldn't send mine back unless I really messed up the suit, and even then I'd likely just buy a new one.

There's a guy around here who has sent his back to SS twice for repair. Apparently most of his seams leaked and he wishes he'd spent money on an LDS supported brand. I know 10+ SS divers up here personally and we all abuse them to one extent or another without issue. I wouldn't send mine back unless I really messed up the suit, and even then I'd likely just buy a new one.
That is a bummer. Did he get it worked out?

It's always a gamble buying this way, but to me it was worth it and it panned out. I think the good cases heavily outweigh the bad.

That is a bummer. Did he get it worked out?

It's always a gamble buying this way, but to me it was worth it and it panned out. I think the good cases heavily outweigh the bad.
No, he dives it still and the last dive I did with him he bitched about being wet. Could be plastic bag affect but he had some dense wool type undergarments. No idea, but could just be a lemon.

@vioch I haven’t ever patched a dry suit, but I have done a lot of whitewater rafts. Before you glue a new patch, place it on the repair spot and trace an outline with a marker. Then when you apply glue to the repair spot, you have nice margins to give you a clean-looking repair.

So I was curious about the way my suit was taped in the crotch area. As you see in the pics, it looks like there is a taped seam running down from the torso that intersects with the seams running down the legs. I can’t tell if the seam tape on each seam overlaps because there are two short pieces of reinforcing tape that cover the intersection of the two seams. Edit: Looking at other seams, they all appear to have overlapping seam tape, so I would assume this one does too.

IMG_1115.jpeg

IMG_1114.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom